Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jan 22, 20, 9:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP

Just saw this Cat 1 hotel open for booking- and booked a stay for tonite- chatted on the app regards lounge opening hours and was curtly informed that AC hotels do not participate in lounge access policy for elites. Suppose AC Hotels do participate in the upgrade policy of best room at checkin for Titanium- which in this property is one with the lounge access. Anyhow will report back- Booking here already seems like a mistake- but at MYR 195+ it does reflect a decent value.
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
Just saw this Cat 1 hotel open for booking- and booked a stay for tonite- chatted on the app regards lounge opening hours and was curtly informed that AC hotels do not participate in lounge access policy for elites. Suppose AC Hotels do participate in the upgrade policy of best room at checkin for Titanium- which in this property is one with the lounge access. Anyhow will report back- Booking here already seems like a mistake- but at MYR 195+ it does reflect a decent value.
I heard there's one opening in Penang. Didn't even know they opened another in KL.

I did some digging in the terms, and unfortunately AC Hotels does not fall under a brand that guarantees lounge access..

iv. Guaranteed Lounge Access. The Member plus one guest staying in the same room receives access to the Concierge/Executive/Club/Signature Club/M Club lounge (collectively, “Lounge” or “Lounge Access”) during normal hours of operations at JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Delta Hotels, Le Méridien, Westin, Autograph Collection, and Renaissance Hotels. At Delta Hotels properties without a Signature Club Lounge, as the approved alternative the Member will receive access to the Elite Pantry. Lounge Access is offered at Courtyard properties with a Lounge outside the United States and Canada. This benefit is not applicable when breakfast is included in the rate or the brand offers an approved alternative. Additional charges may apply for Lounge Access where the guest count is greater than the Member plus one allowance (including children).Lounge amenities may include light snacks and daily continental breakfast. Lounge Access is not offered at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Design Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Four Points, SpringHill Suites, Protea Hotels, Fairfield, AC Hotels, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Element, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties. This benefit only applies to the one (1) guest room in which the Platinum Elite Member is staying.
Perhaps you can speak to the GM and see how it goes, as most new properties are open to feedback and suggestions that they will alter their benefits.

Would love to hear your report back..

Last edited by exploreaswego; Jan 22, 20 at 10:32 pm
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bluestrudels View Post
I heard there's one opening in Penang. Didn't even know they opened another in KL.

I did some digging in the terms, and unfortunately AC Hotels does not fall under a brand that guarantees lounge access..

Perhaps you can speak to the GM and see how it goes, as most new properties are open to feedback and suggestions that they will alter their benefits.

When is your stay happening?
I am staying here tonite, going to checkin later and report back. Upgrade to the best room policy if honored should see club access included, the chat rep did mention that they will upgd for this stay to a club room.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jan 22, 20, 10:50 pm

I am staying here tonite, going to checkin later and report back. Upgrade to the best room policy if honored should see club access included, the chat rep did mention that they will upgd for this stay to a club room.
Sounds good. You are actually getting a really good deal then! I just checked the website, they are offering 1,000 bonus points per night on the standard rates.
For under $60 USD a night with breakfast/upgrade/club lounge, that's really excellent value IMO!
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:57 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

I posed this question in the breakfast thread. AC is one of the garbage brands with $10 daily dining credit, no lounge access per the T&Cs (see here). Looks like there are only three AC hotels in Asia right now (all in Malaysia), and I'm guessing the ones in other regions don't have lounges. IMO this is something Marriott needs to address, because these places will not be competitive without lounge access.

Originally Posted by bluestrudels View Post
Sounds good. You are actually getting a really good deal then! I just checked the website, they are offering 1,000 bonus points per night on the standard rates.
For under $60 USD a night with breakfast/upgrade/club lounge, that's really excellent value IMO!
Not in KL. You can routinely get the Sheraton, Ren, or aloft at/under 200MYR via BRG, and occasionally the LM or Majestic.
ashkale likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 3:18 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
It doesn't surprise me that AC Hotels do not provide lounge access - AFAIK there are no AC hotels with lounges anywhere else in the world.
Old May 26, 20, 5:03 am

My AC hotel review:
AC hotel was previously under YTL group Vistana hotel which currently joined Marriott and rebranded as AC hotel. Same goes to. Penang and kuantan.

location: accessible by monorail. 5 min walk to titiwangsa station from hotel. As for tourist, it slightly out of the way to tourism spot, but you can still go to Bukit Bintang, time square, with monorail.

Room: nothing special regarding room. Common 3-4 star hotel type of room with standing shower only. Furnitures are old. Bed structure is acceptable.

Food: breakfast spread is less than other Marriott brands.
restaurant is ONLY OPEN FOR BREAKFAST. No lunch or dinner serve at the restaurant. No room service available. Need to settle your meal outside before back to hotel.

Lounge: they do not participate in lounge access. They do have a lounge for evening cocktail with change, RM 80 if I'm not mistaken.

Services and elite recognition:
Check in process might take sometimes as most of the staffs are still new to the system. Same go to elite recognition. Room upgrade and premium internet available for platinum and above.

I get pretty good deal on my previous stay, 60usd per night (with breakfast) with bonus 1000 points on top of my elite bonus points.

I heard there will be refurbished soon.
Old May 27, 20, 4:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Originally Posted by FQ415 View Post
My AC hotel review:
AC hotel was previously under YTL group Vistana hotel which currently joined Marriott and rebranded as AC hotel. Same goes to. Penang and kuantan.

location: accessible by monorail. 5 min walk to titiwangsa station from hotel. As for tourist, it slightly out of the way to tourism spot, but you can still go to Bukit Bintang, time square, with monorail.

Room: nothing special regarding room. Common 3-4 star hotel type of room with standing shower only. Furnitures are old. Bed structure is acceptable.

Food: breakfast spread is less than other Marriott brands.
restaurant is ONLY OPEN FOR BREAKFAST. No lunch or dinner serve at the restaurant. No room service available. Need to settle your meal outside before back to hotel.

Lounge: they do not participate in lounge access. They do have a lounge for evening cocktail with change, RM 80 if I'm not mistaken.

Services and elite recognition:
Check in process might take sometimes as most of the staffs are still new to the system. Same go to elite recognition. Room upgrade and premium internet available for platinum and above.

I get pretty good deal on my previous stay, 60usd per night (with breakfast) with bonus 1000 points on top of my elite bonus points.

I heard there will be refurbished soon.
YTL knows how to run hotels and has a long-standing relationship with Marriott in Malaysia (JW, RC, LC etc.). Given that many of Marriott's brands are so utterly different in Asia - particularly at the lower end (Courtyards can be great full-service hotels with lounges etc. Taipei, Iloilo, HK etc.) - it wouldn't surprise me if they start to let elites into the lounge at some point no matter what the official brand standards are.

They will have rebranded this old hotel to AC for a reason - to increase reservations - and if they don't get Platinums or higher booking it because we can go to the Ren or Sheraton for the same price then they will need to be competitive with the other Marriott brands in this price range and open it up.
Old May 27, 20, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard View Post
YTL knows how to run hotels and has a long-standing relationship with Marriott in Malaysia (JW, RC, LC etc.). Given that many of Marriott's brands are so utterly different in Asia - particularly at the lower end (Courtyards can be great full-service hotels with lounges etc. Taipei, Iloilo, HK etc.) - it wouldn't surprise me if they start to let elites into the lounge at some point no matter what the official brand standards are.

They will have rebranded this old hotel to AC for a reason - to increase reservations - and if they don't get Platinums or higher booking it because we can go to the Ren or Sheraton for the same price then they will need to be competitive with the other Marriott brands in this price range and open it up.
Indeed. Another setback is AC hotel didn't not offer room service and restaurant is not open after breakfast. Hopefully they improve on that too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: