Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Fake "let me give you some points for that" Routine

The Fake "let me give you some points for that" Routine

Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I had an issue at the W Chicago (two unrequested 6p wake up calls on Saturday and Sunday). Property offered service recovery credit and never delivered. When I escalated corporate gave 1,000 points.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I had an issue at the W Chicago (two unrequested 6p wake up calls on Saturday and Sunday). Property offered service recovery credit and never delivered. When I escalated corporate gave 1,000 points.
That wasnt a typo - 1,000 points?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Radisson Gold
Was just told would receive points yesterday in compensation for room key not working all 3 days of our stay. Will see if it happens without needing a followup and in a timely fashion, hoping it isn't 'fake'.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That wasnt a typo - 1,000 points?
I believe so.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I believe so.
Nice. So if you get rudely woken up on weekends 200 times you can get a nice hotel room for one night in compensation.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
When I escalated corporate gave 1,000 points.
Wow.

I cannot think of any situation in which 1,000 points would resolve an issue that required escalation to a corporate complaint. The fact you even had to do that should be worth 5,000 alone IMHO.

I also begin to wonder if some front desks offer points with no intention of crediting. I've sent six corporate emails about Courtyard Paris Gare de Lyon failing to credit a promised 5,000 and the hotel clearly knows what to say to get the corporate people to go away. Marriott's policy of forcing the customer to return and fight directly with the hotel (and in many cases with the exact employee who caused the issue in the first place) is the root cause.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I request that all promises be confirmed in writing. I dont let it go until I receive said confirmation.
I've never had a problem with points being credited, but had two instances where I was due Premium Pound (equivalent of Bonus Bucks) certificates and they weren't available. I was promised that they would be mailed to me and they never were. I always got it in writing after I was burned the 2nd time.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Nice. So if you get rudely woken up on weekends 200 times you can get a nice hotel room for one night in compensation.

Well isn't the hashtag #bonvoyed?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:32 pm

It - offer of conciliatory points from front desk clerk for minor issue - has happened to me several times and at several chains - Hilton, Starwood (pre-merger), Marriott etc. Also happened at least twice for extra points for not getting housekeeping. In all cases, not worth my time to follow up without written record of it being offered. A couple of times it has been offered in emails from management, and in those cases I do follow up with them directly if not received and they have always arranged it.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I did notice that pre-merger, I used to get the survey's from Marriott on an almost regular basis and that usually helped with getting these points posted (a bad review with a note about the promise usually prompted them to credit my account). But after the merger I haven't received one single survey and I noticed that where in the past Elite member calls always went to the UT service center (will usually that's because it wasn't a toll-free number!) whereas now everything goes to India and I just can't be bothered with spending hours trying to explain the situation to them (they only seem to know one answer and it's not the right one for me).

The reason I'm bringing the issue up is that for me at least, it seems like a training "trick" that they've taught the associates worldwide (I'm still waiting for 1k points from a hotel in London promised by the FDA) but perhaps either they don't follow up or it requires a supervisor's approval to post (shouldn't since it's a low amount). I know for some of the properties that they have to "purchase" the points for higher amounts-----at least that's what the manager of one property told me in a lengthy email exchange when he promised me 10k points but didn't deliver until I kept prodding him. In any case, they (and Marriott corporate, it seems) don't seem to think of it as a customer service issue. Yes, the amount is low and not worth bothering to follow-up on in most cases, but it shows that the customer isn't first and doesn't portray a customer-oriented attitude as Marriott used to be known for. Just my thoughts.....
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My understanding is that hotels usually have approval levels for service recovery points. In one case, I was given 15,000 points, but it took a few days until a second-level manager approved them.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
To whom Should this notice escalate? I had several things wrong, including hygenic issues in the room, Incomplete housekeeping when we checked in, club access room keys not working, some maintenance needed. I corresponded with a c.s. Person at the hotel solely about the hygeine issue, which was pretty gross. She offered a room upgrade for my next stay which is ok since I dont always book a club room. Addressed all of the other issues in the survey but never heard back. To add insult to injury, the 5,000 points I won in their cute little spin the wheel promo never posted. Oh well.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I was the "guest of the day" once at a Residence Inn, and they never even gave me those points, even after a follow up call! Did get a free drink, and would have had free parking if we had had a car. But really...how can you not give points it was your idea to give?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
I had two incidents last year at different Courtyards two weeks back to back. Both time were promised unspecified amount points. Only one was posted without any efforts(4k). The other one was posted after calling CS. (5k) Actually better success rate than MAGC and the 1k welcome bonus at certain properties. I would say anything thats not automatic that need to be manually enterred can easily be missed. I suspect the FD person most likely only put a note in and the points need to be posted by someone else like MAGC.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'd say that over the last 12 months, >50% of the time, I either have to follow-up with the property or file a case with Marriott. Like others have said, sometimes I see the points posted almost instantly. Most times, it requires more nudging. I'm not going as far to say that there's some weird conspiracy happening, but I can only say that as one customer, I find the "oh, I'm sorry - let me add some points to your account to make it up for <insert issue> - but you're responsible for making sure we actually post the points we promised you" routine gets pretty old, pretty fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.