Search

Misleading awards points listing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Misleading awards points listing

Is this a new "feature"? Search shows results in terms of points required, but the room actually requires thousands of dollars in addition to the listed points?

Can I now trust nothing on Marriott.com search without examining every single listing?

Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
No. Been like that for a long time.

Guess you were lucky not to come across it before.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I've stayed here. The hotel and staff are fine and not inherently evil.

By the looks of it, you've selected points redemption and it's offered you an upgraded room which requires points + cash rather than the entry-level room that would require only points.

Why it's done this, I don't know but you can trouble-shoot it a bit by trying a cash-only booking and seeing what room types it offers you at what price. If it's busy and sold out for your dates then maybe the cheapest room you can book for your dates is the Executive Suite that it's offering you for points + cash. Basic room here is quite cheap for London. I paid about GBP150 cash rate so it won't make a good value points redemption at the best of times. If this room isn't available then maybe (and I'm just speculating) they've loaded this Executive Suite as a points + cash redemption to see if anyone bites.

If you can book a basic room at a ~GBP150 rate then I'd take it rather than try to redeem points at this hotel and save the points for something more lucrative.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This happens a lot. It means you can’t easily see real availability until you drill down into individual hotels, but at least it’s not as deceptive after the fact as some of Marriott’s other practices.
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yup, this usually means one or more nights in this property does not have standard rooms available.
Not that the system is internationally trying to cheat you to pay thousands more in additional to your points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.