Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is Marriott's policy concerning free WIFI?

Old Jan 18, 20, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG

OK. I am looking for a clear answer to the whether or not WIFI is free at Marriott hotels. To me, this is a simply question. However, the answer seems to be more complicated. I often book specially negotiated convention rates and I have been burned by Starwood's WIFI policy. In the past, I was specially told that the Starwood Meetings website was not Starwood. What about Marriott Events? Do I have to book at the Marriott website in order to get free WIFI? What if I call or walk into the hotel? Do I get free WIFI? What about opaque rates booked on Hotwire? Are these eligible for free WIFI? What if I am a Marriott Bonvoy member but book at Expedia or Orbitz? (They often have a cheaper rate!) So, the question is, does Marriott offer free WIFI or not?
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Probably the easiest way is to go to the Marriott website, use the "HELP" function to search for WiFi and find the three different ways you can locate what WiFi services any given property offers and at what, if any, cost. Took 30 seconds.

As to access to event & convention networks, that is up to the event organizer. Some pay for it and make it available to all registered attendees and some do not. Presumably you will find that in the event organizer's materials.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
OK. I am looking for a clear answer to the whether or not WIFI is free at Marriott hotels. To me, this is a simply question. However, the answer seems to be more complicated. I often book specially negotiated convention rates and I have been burned by Starwood's WIFI policy. In the past, I was specially told that the Starwood Meetings website was not Starwood. What about Marriott Events? Do I have to book at the Marriott website in order to get free WIFI? What if I call or walk into the hotel? Do I get free WIFI? What about opaque rates booked on Hotwire? Are these eligible for free WIFI? What if I am a Marriott Bonvoy member but book at Expedia or Orbitz? (They often have a cheaper rate!) So, the question is, does Marriott offer free WIFI or not?

most marriott hotels have basic wifi for free. you need to enter your room number and last name. Enhanced wifi does cost money though but free for people who have status. I don't remember if any of the resorts includes free basic wifi or not. if there is a resort fee it usually covers wifi.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dunno282 View Post
most marriott hotels have basic wifi for free.
True for the lower tier brands, but most of the mid-range and upper-tier hotels charge for wi-fi. For those properties, free wi-fi is only guaranteed if you are a Bonvoy member and book directly with Marriott.
Old Jan 18, 20, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
True for the lower tier brands, but most of the mid-range and upper-tier hotels charge for wi-fi. For those properties, free wi-fi is only guaranteed if you are a Bonvoy member and book directly with Marriott.
Thank you. That's what I wanted to know.
Old Jan 18, 20, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Probably the easiest way is to go to the Marriott website, use the "HELP" function to search for WiFi and find the three different ways you can locate what WiFi services any given property offers and at what, if any, cost. Took 30 seconds.
Did you actually take your own advice? I did your "search" and nothing regarding free WIFI showed up. However, you actually helped to prove my point: Marriott does not have a blanket free WIFI policy for all guests.
Old Jan 18, 20, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
Did you actually take your own advice? I did your "search" and nothing regarding free WIFI showed up. However, you actually helped to prove my point: Marriott does not have a blanket free WIFI policy for all guests.
the answer was given to you. Some hotels offer free WiFi for those who book direct. You can pay more for an enhanced connection with faster speed. If you have certain Bonvoy status then this higher speed is also free. Some hotels do not offer different speeds. Hence, there is no standard policy stateMent/page in the Marriott web site. If you are looking to book a hotel solely based on free WiFi then you should search the Internet for those that advertise this feature.
Adam1222, writerguyfl and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold
The basic rule of thumb is lower tier properties provide it for all for free and upper tier properties charge. If you happen to have status where WiFi is allegedly free, many of those same upper tier properties charge a daily "amenity" or "Resort" fee and apply a charge that includes Wifi services. In this way, even elites who should get the service for free have to pay.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 2:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The Wifi rules vary at different brands but if you’re a member of Bonvoy and book via the website you’ll get free wifi at all the Bonvoy brands. Golds and above get enhanced speed wifi, where available. So if you join Bonvoy and book your stay via Marriott.com, you’ll get free wifi.
KRSW likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: