Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Meeting friends/colleagues/business partners in a suite

Old Yesterday, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Is this something that is frowned upon by hotels ? I told a Sheraton property's hospitality manager that I'm meeting colleagues in the suite. She replied asking how many people will be meeting
Old Yesterday, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Generally not; I'm guessing that, perhaps, the manager might have had spare meeting rooms to offer to you as a courtesy. Whether it's frowned upon by a corporate HR department, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. There's been a bit of a brouhaha about it in academia lately: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...nce-interviews
Old Yesterday, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Did you give the old "eyebrows raise" when you said "meeting"?

I don't see any problem and I have done so myself a few times in the past when there was no suitable place to visit/meet in the hotel. The only issue they might have is if the number of people coming to your room is more than a few.
Old Yesterday, 2:08 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I think this is fine at most properties, especially during the day. But I would not suggest trying it at the Residence Inn by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center.
Old Yesterday, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've done it a couple times, but only with other colleagues staying at the hotel, when we were preparing for a meeting the next day and the hotel's meeting rooms were booked. I've never had any reason to tell the hotel staff about it, it's none of their concern, IMO, if the colleagues aren't staying overnight. Let's say you and your spouse were traveling with several other couples, who all had their own rooms. There's nothing at all wrong with them hanging out in your suite.

What was your reason for mentioning it?
Old Yesterday, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO a lot depends on the layout of the suite. If you can close off the door to the bedroom totally and if there's a powder room off of the entry or living room, it's fine. If it's a junior suite or only has a partial wall, no way.
Old Yesterday, 6:55 pm

Shouldnt be a problem. We use suites at and near conferences for meetings all the time. Just keep the partying down after 10pm or they get a little antsy.
Old Today, 10:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Alaska 75K Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Why even tell the property your holding a meeting in the room?
Old Today, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Many properties have suites that are specifically designed for this.

I've used a suite to take a deposition several times. We would always advise the hotel of the intended purpose so they don't freak out when they see someone bringing in video equipment

Search this Thread
Search Engine: