FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Booking with one person vs two (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2004616-booking-one-person-vs-two.html)

Bravada04 Jan 16, 2020 5:37 am

Booking with one person vs two

Any experience as to how this holds up when checking in? Just looking at a location and hotels don't change the rate when reserving with one person or two. Actually never paid much attention to this as usually just plunk in the location and room....For whatever reason noticed the rate is cheaper when booking for one person vs. two? Why would that be for one room?

Not sure if it will be myself or the wife joining. If I book for one I will assume I won't have any challenges when checking in if in fact there is two of us?

Low Roller Jan 16, 2020 6:05 am

I've seen that happen when the rate includes breakfast since it costs more to provide breakfast for two people instead of one. I don't know if they would challenge you at check-in or not.

arjen05 Jan 16, 2020 6:13 am

I don't know exactly where you've noticed this, but in some European regions, e.g. some cities in The Netherlands, taxes are counted per person instead of as a percentage of the room rate. Then in Japan, for example, you might see bigger differences in room rates, since it's a cultural thing to vary hotel room prices per occupancy.

Handcake Jan 16, 2020 6:22 am

I have it default set to be 1 guest. I just book that. Since I am Titanium I get free breakfast or lounge so it really shouldn't matter. It hasn't been an issue yet. Since I can bring a guest anyways, it shouldn't matter unless it it related to taxes. Where I stay (Asia) taxes are on the room.

thomasito Jan 16, 2020 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Handcake (Post 31957300)
Since I can bring a guest anyways, it shouldn't matter unless it it related to taxes. Where I stay (Asia) taxes are on the room.

Says who? That is not a published benefit, and while most US hotel will be fine with that, you could run into problems in Europe, Africa and maybe some Asien countries.
Some countries have strict laws or taxt regulations. And you should als be aware that especially in Europe its still common to have single rooms that have only space for 1 adult.

So why not just book for the amount of guests you plan to stay?

Jon Maiman Jan 16, 2020 7:07 am

Originally Posted by thomasito (Post 31957340)
Says who? That is not a published benefit, and while most US hotel will be fine with that, you could run into problems in Europe, Africa and maybe some Asien countries.
Some countries have strict laws or taxt regulations. And you should als be aware that especially in Europe its still common to have single rooms that have only space for 1 adult.

Agreed if you know how many guests will be coming for the stay, book the room for that number of people. The exception is US stays where kids are coming where the reservation system at times has incorrectly added in additional charges for the children sharing the same room. E.g. just book for the correct number of adults for that situation.

All that said, I think the OP is asking about what if they are unsure? E.g. their spouse may possibly may be joining them for the trip but they aren't sure. First the easy case, if the property has the same rate for 1 vs. 2 adult guests in a room, just book for 2 and don't worry about it. For properties that do charge different rates based on occupancy in the room, I think the rule of thumb should be if possible make the decision in advance and book the correct number of people. If you don't know how many people will be staying, book your best guess for the number of people likely to stay 1 or 2, and then ask the property to adjust the rate if needed once you do know or at check-in. My stays are almost entirely in the United States where 1 vs. 2 adults is pretty much always is the same rate. I assume the OP must be looking at properties in other regions of the world Europe, Asia, etc. where rates do vary by occupancy. While you might get away with it, I don't recommend trying to game the system booking for 1 adult when you know you will have 2 staying and the rate would be different. YMMV...

--Jon

Kacee Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am

As noted, in countries like Japan, the room rate may vary depending on number of guests. Booking for 1 and trying to bring in 2 could absolutely be a problem in these places (focusing on Japan in particular).

Note that Hilton offers a "Second Guest Stays Free" benefit to all elites. Marriott does not.

Handcake Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by thomasito (Post 31957340)

Says the benefit of bringing 1 guest into the lounge, which I was speaking of. Sorry if it it inferred I meant an overnight guest. As a plat+ you can bring yourself and 1 guest into the lounge.

I often meet friends when I travel and I bring them up to the lounge for drinks and so we can talk. Never been an issue.

If I am traveling with my family, I put 2 guests as typically I don't want issues if my wife goes to the lounge without me.

yyzflyer Jan 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31958038)

Note that Hilton offers a "Second Guest Stays Free" benefit to all elites. Marriott does not.

I believe that Marriott does offer a "spouse stays free" benefit however. The problem is some hotels don't get it - especially in the US and Canada. I play it safe and always book for 2 when travelling with my wife. On occasion the rate for one is lower, but $10 extra usually saves an argument at the front desk - especially if there's breakfast or lounge access involved.

SanDiego1K Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm

There have been the rare case of some historic hotels having single rooms with single beds. The Dom Hotel in Cologne, no longer part of Starwood/Marriott, was one. I believe one of the former CIGA hotels in Venice also had a single room. Outside of Marriott, I had a tiny room with a single bed at the Intercontinental in Rome. I don't know if any of these single rooms still exist but be wary should you be booking an old grande dame property.

thomasito Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer (Post 31959544)
I believe that Marriott does offer a "spouse stays free" benefit however. The problem is some hotels don't get it - especially in the US and Canada. I play it safe and always book for 2 when travelling with my wife. On occasion the rate for one is lower, but $10 extra usually saves an argument at the front desk - especially if there's breakfast or lounge access involved.

No, this benefit does not exist (did not exist under SPG either).
I think Hilton has this as a published benefit.

Originally Posted by Handcake (Post 31957300)
Says the benefit of bringing 1 guest into the lounge, which I was speaking of. Sorry if it it inferred I meant an overnight guest. As a plat+ you can bring yourself and 1 guest into the lounge.

Also wrong. Marriott is very clear that you can bring a 2nd person with you, but this person has to be booked in the same room as you. Officially, you cannot bring any guest in the lounge (experienced this also myself few times, were I offered my coworker from another room to come with me in the lounge).

Marriott T&C:
Guaranteed Lounge Access. The Member plus one guest staying in the same room receives access to the Concierge/Executive/Club/Signature Club/M Club lounge (collectively, “Lounge” or “Lounge Access”) during normal hours of operations ...

MSPeconomist Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Another (in)famous example was Hotel des Indes, Starwood LC (RIP), in The Hague, Netherlands, which not only had single rooms but for a while claimed that they were sth standard rooms for award stays. Nevertheless, I always was given a junior suite there, so I never saw the tiny rooms with a single twin bed, although their rooms were highly variable.

Bravada04 Jan 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Not trying to game the system whatsoever and I will be honest the room rate only changes $10.00 / night. I just happened to notice it and wouldn't have thought twice - There are so many times I search for the city and hotel and don't even touch the occupants for 1 or 2. Don't have kids so it's always either myself or the both of us.

I was just thinking about it and wasn't sure why the difference ( Cambodia ). Primarily what if I was to book for one person and two of us showed up - I get it, easily pay up upon check-in. Just couldn't figure out why the price difference - Whether I walk in by myself or my wife is with me? Breakfast is not included in the price btw.

No biggie...just curious.

itisme Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 31960219)
Not trying to game the system whatsoever and I will be honest the room rate only changes $10.00 / night. I just happened to notice it and wouldn't have thought twice - There are so many times I search for the city and hotel and don't even touch the occupants for 1 or 2. Don't have kids so it's always either myself or the both of us.

I was just thinking about it and wasn't sure why the difference ( Cambodia ). Primarily what if I was to book for one person and two of us showed up - I get it, easily pay up upon check-in. Just couldn't figure out why the price difference - Whether I walk in by myself or my wife is with me? Breakfast is not included in the price btw.

No biggie...just curious.

Thanks for noticing this. I have a booking at the PP location and just checked my booking and i always have it standard set to 2 people even tho i am travelling alone and when entering 1 it indeed goes 10$ down per night. Cancelling now and re-booking. Only small price change indeed but still..

Kacee Jan 16, 2020 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 31960219)
I was just thinking about it and wasn't sure why the difference ( Cambodia ). Primarily what if I was to book for one person and two of us showed up

I've occasionally mistaken booked for 1 (as that's the default on the app). I've never had a problem in the US or Thailand. I think Japan it would be a problem. Don't know about Cambodia.