Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Policy on Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) on Prepaid rates

Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

How many times this has happened to me in the past, I'm not sure, but I'm going to be far more conscious of checking it in the future.

I booked a prepaid rate at the JW Marriott Kolkata (India) for two nights. The hotel dutifully charged my card the next day. It caught my eye mostly because I was expecting an issue with how they calculated the GST on the stay, since one night was under the INR 7500 and one was over INR 7500 (meaning two different tax rates applied).

Well, lo and behold, they charged me in dollars (not rupees). This caused my overall rate to be more than $20 more than it should have been if I was charged in local currency.

I complained up and down and the hotel management seems to feel that this is being done as "courtesy" to guests who appreciate being billed in their home currency. My gosh I was so annoyed at that ridiculousness...

Anyways, in my case they are giving me a refund and "we will notate your account that you prefer to be charged in INR". Yeah, whatever. Thanks.

It seems the hotel should be obligated to ask in advance if they want to pursue the DCC scam with their customers. Otherwise they should just charge in local currency (or finalize the billing on check-out). I've had so many stays in the past where on checkout, the agent says "you paid in advance, so you don't owe anything", and then I just don't take the receipt and leave. Not anymore.... at least not internationally.

I'm curious if Marriott has a stand on how this type of situation should be handled?
EuropeanPete and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt it is a policy Marriott wide, but rather the hotel trying to scam a few extra bucks from foreign clients. This can be avoided by using AMEX wherever possible. I've switched all my hotel spending to the AMEX green card because of this issue.
Temedar likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Use AmEx. They refuse to participate in the DCC scam.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boston Elite
How many times this has happened to me in the past, I'm not sure, but I'm going to be far more conscious of checking it in the future.

I booked a prepaid rate at the JW Marriott Kolkata (India) for two nights. The hotel dutifully charged my card the next day. It caught my eye mostly because I was expecting an issue with how they calculated the GST on the stay, since one night was under the INR 7500 and one was over INR 7500 (meaning two different tax rates applied).

Well, lo and behold, they charged me in dollars (not rupees). This caused my overall rate to be more than $20 more than it should have been if I was charged in local currency.

I complained up and down and the hotel management seems to feel that this is being done as "courtesy" to guests who appreciate being billed in their home currency. My gosh I was so annoyed at that ridiculousness...

Anyways, in my case they are giving me a refund and "we will notate your account that you prefer to be charged in INR". Yeah, whatever. Thanks.

It seems the hotel should be obligated to ask in advance if they want to pursue the DCC scam with their customers. Otherwise they should just charge in local currency (or finalize the billing on check-out). I've had so many stays in the past where on checkout, the agent says "you paid in advance, so you don't owe anything", and then I just don't take the receipt and leave. Not anymore.... at least not internationally.

I'm curious if Marriott has a stand on how this type of situation should be handled?
I don't know if Marriott has a stance, but if this happened to me I would tell the hotel to refund and charge in the currency I want, as their actions are in violation of the DCC consent and disclosure rules for Visa and Mastercard and if they didn't comply that I would file a chargeback. The threat of a chargeback fee is more than anything they're making on the DCC scam.

Like others here have mentioned though, if you can use AMEX, that's the best solution.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I didn't even realize that about Amex! Great advice, thank you. Usually I use Citi Prestige for all my hotels, but I have a sock drawer Amex Bonvoy from when it was an SPG that I can pull out for international Marriott stays!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I doubt it is a policy Marriott wide, but rather the hotel trying to scam a few extra bucks from foreign clients. This can be avoided by using AMEX wherever possible. I've switched all my hotel spending to the AMEX green card because of this issue.
Yes, I agree with you, I was thinking more about whether or not Marriott had a policy "against" something like this... Though as a different poster also mentioned, they are supposed to have your consent before charging in $'s anyways, so there is likely not a policy per se (though there should be!).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Boston Elite; Jan 14, 2020 at 8:00 am
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:40 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Does anyone know if you can instruct your bank to block DCC on your Visa or Master Credit card?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
In some countries (common in Asia and certain developing countries), hotel credit card transactions are processed using a separate stand alone credit terminal (as opposed to an integrated module in the Property Management System).

There are situations when a prepaid reservation is made online (or via a GDS or Marriott Central Reservations), the credit card details are transmitted to the property. Once received, the transaction is manually keyed using the credit terminal. If the credit card is a Visa/Mastercard, the terminal in most cases might prompt the user to select the local currency or the currency for the country (DCC) where the credit card is based. Most of the time, due to laziness (or direction from management), the person doing the keying by default would choose the DCC option. In some countries such as China, the credit card terminal doesn't even have the option to choose!

It might help if you contact the hotel (not Marriott Central Reservations or Bonvoy) immediately after you make the prepaid reservation and tell them to choose the local currency when processing the payment.
SPN Lifer and fifty_two like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:23 am

DCC and Restaurants in Barrie, Canada

I apologize for hi-jacking this posting. I just found out last night that DCC is alive and well in Barrie, Ontario. I encountered it in a restaurant in Barrie (The Symposium). After I left the restaurant, I realized that I had opted to pay in US dollars instead of Canadian dollars. My fault! Silly me for not recognizing it. I was kind of taken by surprise. Anyway, DCC still raises its ugly head where you least expect it. Again, my apologies ........
Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by XFed2001
I apologize for hi-jacking this posting. I just found out last night that DCC is alive and well in Barrie, Ontario. I encountered it in a restaurant in Barrie (The Symposium). After I left the restaurant, I realized that I had opted to pay in US dollars instead of Canadian dollars. My fault! Silly me for not recognizing it. I was kind of taken by surprise. Anyway, DCC still raises its ugly head where you least expect it. Again, my apologies ........
FWIW there's a generic DCC thread in the Credit Card Programs forum: Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.