Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can't deduct points for off-peak redemption

Old Jan 11, 20, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I just made 2 one night award redemptions at the off peak rate for each stay. I noticed the points weren't deducted from my account. When I looked back at the reservations, there was a notice that the points wouldn't be deducted until 15 days before the stay, and points required could go up or down before then. I was given the option to deduct the points now and lock in the rate. However, when I select this option nothing happens, and I get a pop-up screen that never loads. Like I have nothing better to do than call Marriott this afternoon.
Old Jan 11, 20, 4:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
I just made 2 one night award redemptions at the off peak rate for each stay. I noticed the points weren't deducted from my account. When I looked back at the reservations, there was a notice that the points wouldn't be deducted until 15 days before the stay, and points required could go up or down before then. I was given the option to deduct the points now and lock in the rate. However, when I select this option nothing happens, and I get a pop-up screen that never loads. Like I have nothing better to do than call Marriott this afternoon.
Coupled with the reportings that points from recently cancelled award reservations have not yet been returned, Iíd say Marriott IT is undergoing some sort of identity crisis again
Old Jan 11, 20, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just take screen shots now for the inevitable date (possibly even mid-stay!) where Marriott deducts Standard or even Peak points
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Spoke to customer service. The CSR said they had just received a notice that the system was having problems deducting points for awards. Looks to me like they are introducing a new system to keep awards dynamic until 15 days before the reservation, and it wasn't implemented very well.
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:11 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
Spoke to customer service. The CSR said they had just received a notice that the system was having problems deducting points for awards. Looks to me like they are introducing a new system to keep awards dynamic until 15 days before the reservation, and it wasn't implemented very well.
Hmm this is interesting. Does this mean we will no longer be able to "lock in" a current point rate for a property at booking?
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by eyeball1 View Post
Hmm this is interesting. Does this mean we will no longer be able to "lock in" a current point rate for a property at booking?
That doesnít make any sense ó how would IT implement it? Assuming points (if sufficient amount exists in an account) are deducted at time of booking based on a redemption rate, according to Marriott, this rate can change from peak/np/standard to one another any month, or even any week. Would IT be implemented to change the points deducted for every single point reservation every week? Thatís a nightmare.

So Iím pretty sure long as you lock in a point stay by having points deducted from your account, the rate stays.

They were probably trying to fix the issue of having random point reservations modified to deduct more points without consent...
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

The message posted on my account said very clearly that the points would not be deducted until 15 days before the reservation and that the rate may change. I was given the option to lock in the rate by deducting the points now, but the option failed. CS told me that even though the points weren't deducted, Marriott would honor the off-peak rate if it were to go up.

I don't think the IT reprices every award every day. It would only reprice the award at stay -15d or when you select the option to deduct your points (and thereby lock in the rate).

Here's a screenshot of the message

Last edited by Catbert10; Jan 11, 20 at 8:22 pm Reason: added screenshot
Old Jan 11, 20, 9:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eyeball1 View Post
I reported this same problem in the Marriott IT issues "master thread". Tried to use the link provided and got the never loading pop-up.

Resolved the issue by calling and asking the rep to deduct the points from my account for that particular reservation. So you can still "lock in" current points rate by calling.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Am I right that they recently changed Points Advance so that it was only available if you didn't have enough points at time of booking, and if you did have the points that they would always be deducted immediately?

The verbiage in the screenshot suggests a return to the previous rules where you could decide whether and when to deduct the points, even if you have enough. There are some situations where this could be useful, so this would get a thumbs up from me (assuming they can get the IT right).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: