Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

I Lost 465,000 Points + a Free Night Cert in One Day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Lost 465,000 Points + a Free Night Cert in One Day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Can anyone decipher this latest response from Marriott Customer Care? I have no idea what this means:
Thank you for your reply. When you said it was changed without your consent, the fraudulent activity would make sure that no one could make changed to your account again.

Your patience is appreciated while your account is reviewed.

If you have additional questions, please let me know by responding to this email.

We appreciate your patronage. Thank you again for choosing Marriott Bonvoy.

Sincerely,
:
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Any reference to "fraud" should be a massive red flag - Is there any chance you accidentally mentioned it? Any account where fraudulent activity is suspected risks being suspended for months on end and send to the fraud team. Clearly the Marriott message is garbled nonsense which you can't try to make sense of, but I would urgently respond saying that there is no suspicion of fraud here. You simply want an error made by customer service to be fixed.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Not to be rude (and your advice is good in any normal situation) but the new Marriott is not a normal situation. They do not care a out guests. Full stop.
Maybe they don't, but that doesn't necessarily have to mean poor service. My interactions with customer service over the last year have been great. Granted, I haven't had any issues like the OP's, but that doesn't change my personal experience.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Any reference to "fraud" should be a massive red flag - Is there any chance you accidentally mentioned it? Any account where fraudulent activity is suspected risks being suspended for months on end and send to the fraud team. Clearly the Marriott message is garbled nonsense which you can't try to make sense of, but I would urgently respond saying that there is no suspicion of fraud here. You simply want an error made by customer service to be fixed.
The OP has described the issue as a "horrible" and a "crisis". Those are words I would use when my house burns down, not when some Marriott points have been mis-posted. I understand the OP's frustration, so hope this doesn't sound mean, but I suspect words like "fraud" or "stolen", or the like have probably been used, triggering a fraud investigation. As you wrote, this is simply an IT (or human) error that needs to be straightened out. Getting upset and using trigger words often just bog things down.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I read it a little different. Sounds like the OP said points were changed without their consent and Marriott is converting that to fraud. Maybe as a crutch to delay or because they think it is. Seems more like its incompentence on Marriott's part.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I read it a little different. Sounds like the OP said points were changed without their consent and Marriott is converting that to fraud. Maybe as a crutch to delay or because they think it is. Seems more like its incompentence on Marriott's part.
That's not at odds with what I asked...
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Were you able to sort this out? I had a similar thing happen, thankfully for much smaller amount. Booked as cat 2 off peak, hotel changed categories and charged me cat 3 standard rate after checkout....of course I have no emails with the confirmations as I booked 3 months ahead of stay. Tried calling cs, contacting property, messaging on fb, all responses are the new Marriott standard where basically it is my own fault somehow.....I tried lurker as last chance to save that 7500 points but we will see....
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mrtravel28
Were you able to sort this out? I had a similar thing happen, thankfully for much smaller amount. Booked as cat 2 off peak, hotel changed categories and charged me cat 3 standard rate after checkout....of course I have no emails with the confirmations as I booked 3 months ahead of stay. Tried calling cs, contacting property, messaging on fb, all responses are the new Marriott standard where basically it is my own fault somehow.....I tried lurker as last chance to save that 7500 points but we will see....
What you are seeing is this:

Marriott took more points after original booking

When it happened to me, I contacted CS and they refunded my pts in less than 5 mins. No idea why you are having such difficulty. Try HUCA?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by JBord
The OP has described the issue as a "horrible" and a "crisis". Those are words I would use when my house burns down, not when some Marriott points have been mis-posted. I understand the OP's frustration, so hope this doesn't sound mean, but I suspect words like "fraud" or "stolen", or the like have probably been used, triggering a fraud investigation. As you wrote, this is simply an IT (or human) error that needs to be straightened out. Getting upset and using trigger words often just bog things down.
How else is the OP going to whip-up the perpetually outraged mob?

Last edited by Old Hickory; Jan 14, 2020 at 1:50 pm Reason: IT issue
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The "mob" is only "perpetually outraged" due to endless Marriott IT and such failures compounded by lack of any CS resolution, let alone any sense of public acknowledgement of the issues in the first place
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The "mob" is only "perpetually outraged" due to endless Marriott IT and such failures compounded by lack of any CS resolution, let alone any sense of public acknowledgement of the issues in the first place
Well said.

Even from the Official Merger Date, it has been how many months gone by from Aug 2018? we are still having all sorts of issues. They should spend resources to fix the IT problems instead of sponsoring last year's Super Bowl. Now another Super Bowl is coming and we are still suffering all the problems caused by incompetent IT dept which stays incompetent probably due to being underfunded all the time!
Tanic and GrizShel like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Can anyone decipher this latest response from Marriott Customer Care? I have no idea what this means:

:
GrizShel, try sending the Marriott lurker a PM through FlyerTalk. In case you haven't done it before, click on the Marriott Bonvoy Lurker green name on the post they made in this thread and then "Send private message" (second option) which will bring up the message function of FlyerTalk.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:32 pm

So I hope that what OP sent the Lurker makes more sense than anything posted on here. I can understand why Marriott can't fix this, it's impossible to figure out from what OP is saying.

Did you cancel the stay in time to get the points credited back? (That's a little unclear)

And how does the second stay even enter into this.

If you bounced around like this on the phone it's probably hard to figure this out.

I agree with an earlier poster Break this into two issues and quit merging it into one your making it too hard to follow.

Unlike others on here, my experience with Marriott customer service has not changed recently and I have found them very helpful.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

No. Only in response to one person at CS blaming it on fraud to say that there's absolutely no reason to believe that he was correct in the assumption he made.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Marriott Champion/ Lurker: It appears none of my emails are getting to you yet, please PM me with details of how to contact you.

To all:
So sorry but the speculation about what I might have left out is not correct. The one reservation that I actually did ask to cancel started Feb. 16 I believe and of course it was within the free cancellation period.

The two issues happened at the same time or about at the same time as far as i can tell It may have been some action(s) that the first Marriott Bonvoy rep took while I was on the phone with him on Dec. 26th that contributed to all of these issues (Obviously I can't see what exactly he did, but a lot of very strange things happened in my account during the phone call and shortly thereafter). I didn't take these actions with my reservations so how in the world do you expect me to be able to explain exactly how this happened? I can, however, see my screenshots from when these reservations were made and points taken out of my account, and how the summer reservation got points detached after already having been attached. And read some of the replies above and you'll see that similar things have happened to many Marriott customers.

You are absolutely free to not be as concerned about this as I am.

Meanwhile I have airline tickets for this summer with a 6-night stay that was formerly paid for with points that now shows it is not paid for because of some action by Marriott automated or human that detached those certificates without my permission. It's quite distressing to me, as now, 22 days after this happened I haven't yet seen any sign that I am going to get help with this issue. Because it directly affects a long planned vacation I consider this more urgent than getting the points back from the cancelled February reservation.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by GrizShel; Jan 17, 2020 at 3:39 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you use the PM function on FT as described in Post 41 by eefor jfp ?

If you are not using the PM here but a real email, I am afraid you will be waiting forever for a reply from the Lurkers, because their primary contact initially IS the PM on FT. Once they response then there would be an email address to reach whichever lurker that is assigned to help you.

Besides, you may want to just list the events as they happened, and not to inject any emotional feeling in it - because unfortunately like others reading this thread I dont really understand what have happened, and the long post you just made towards Lurkers, do not help us to understand any better - the whole description is just too wordy and too much "off tangent" that makes the whole thing even harder to digest.

For anyone to help, s/he has to first understand the issues. Right now the whole fiasco is as clear as mud as to what happened to all the changes you made and how your account was affected in the process.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 17, 2020 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.