Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Protea Dar es Salaam Oyster Bay, Tanzania [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium

Protea Dar es Salaam Oyster Bay,

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Corner of Haile Selassie, Ali Hassan Mwinyi Rd, Dar es Salaam, TZ

Protea Dar es Salaam Oyster Bay, Tanzania [Master Thread] (2 Photos)

IMG_0420.jpegIMG_0421.jpeg

You will find the prices will probably always be exactly the same as the other DAR city property, since the owner appears to treat them as comparable. I prefer this property slightly over the other one.

The internet coverage was a bit spotty at times.

Overall in the city I would recommend more the Four Points. That does not in any way mean that I would not recommend the two Protea properties. They are, in a way, how I would expect properties to be in a developing country with slightly lower standards. It is at a lower price point than the Four Points both for points and cash and is a reasonable alternative.

Overall

I just noticed that I never took any photos of the rooms, which is a bit of a shame, since I think the hotel photos are misleading. This property needs some updating, but is otherwise cleaner than the other city Protea.

Uber works in DAR and I recommending using it. You can even take the Poa (motor rickshaws).

Dining

Food was decent, but limited. It was a mixture of international and local Tanzanian food. There is only one restaurant called "The Club", I believe, which is next to the pool and has an outdoor terrace. This is also where breakfast is served.

Breakfast was given as a plat amenity.

DAR is relatively small, so nothing is far away. This property is a bit quieter and located near some city beaches.

The nearby beach is not really nice and there is a bit of construciton going on. Further away is another beach that is nicer.

Service

The staff was always very helpful and willing to try to fulfill any special wishes. They were also accommodating for an early check in and late checkout. The level of service was similar to the other city Protea property.

Room

I really do not feel that the pictures online reflect what the rooms look like. I had two rooms and neither were as updated as the pictures. Perhaps there are a couple of rooms like this, but I am doubtful. The hotel is a bit worn. 

My room had a kitchen with microwave and refrigerator. This property is suitable for limited self-catering. I do not think you will be able to cook a gourmet meal here due to the limited equipment. However, for those that want it, it is a possibility. I stook to the restaurant.

I remember that the air conditioner was a bit challenged, but was able to get the room down to a reasonable temperature.

I did use the tv briefly and there were a good selection of English-language programming, for those who have not been brushing up on their Swahili.

Check In

No issues whatsoever. As usual in Tanzania, they want to see the passports of all party members.

Would you like to write a review on the Protea Dar es Salaam Oyster Bay,?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.