Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Denied all Elite Benefits due to Online Travel Agent Booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied all Elite Benefits due to Online Travel Agent Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite
im staying at a Marriott property with over 2500 nights as a LT Titanium. Marriott is still getting paid money for the stay and using a technicality to deny a long time member basic benefits that were earned with years of time and a boatload Of money spent in their hotels.

You can be an apologist for Marriott all you want but this is outrageous.
Marriott pays Expedia a 12% commission when the stay is booked through them. That's where the value of your benefits went.
I’m guessing the defenders on here are likely the same person and likely a Marriott Corporate employee.

lifetime benefits came at cost they didn’t come free and now they are screening members.

anyone who is legacy SPG need not reply to this thread...
Yes everyone here is obviously a Marriott employee rather than people pointing out a well-documented industry-standard policy that you could resolve with your TA for future bookings. We're all the same person, having spent many years making tens of thousands of posts across several accounts all for the evil purpose of trying to deceive you in the year 2020. You caught me.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Not at all. They still get money.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This is how all elite schemes work. It’s very far from a technicality - OTA bookings basically knock out all profitability for Marriott and its franchisees.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Unfortunately it's the same with other chains like Hilton....
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Never had an issue with Concur.
words that have never been typed before

I’m guessing the defenders on here are likely the same person and likely a Marriott Corporate employee.

lifetime benefits came at cost they didn’t come free and now they are screening members.

Saying "that's the rules" isn't "defending", it's simply stating facts.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Lol I wish. This is really something Marriott needs to strong arm Expedia about, these rates are meant for college kids and 20 somethings etc, not well healed corporate travelers. Expedia has saturated the leisure market so it’s expanding into corporate travel now... this is not something that bodes well for most here.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
im staying at a Marriott property with over 2500 nights as a LT Titanium. Marriott is still getting paid money for the stay and using a technicality to deny a long time member basic benefits that were earned with years of time and a boatload Of money spent in their hotels.

You can be an apologist for Marriott all you want but this is outrageous.
sometimes I wonder, why people with over 2500 nights and LT Titanium (which should be MR Plat lifetime?), but do not know the "basic" rule of the game

i only stay more than 10% of that nights.... but I know that non direct booking will not have any Elite benefit.....
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lingua101
sometimes I wonder, why people with over 2500 nights and LT Titanium (which should be MR Plat lifetime?), but do not know the "basic" rule of the game

i only stay more than 10% of that nights.... but I know that non direct booking will not have any Elite benefit.....
to be fair - pre-Merger marriott was one of the few hotel programs that DID grant elite benefits on 3rd party bookings. That went away sometime pre merger (or at the merger? I don't recall). So the poster coming from the Marriott-side might've simply missed the change in the T&C.
JohnneeO and Twickenham like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Not at all. They still get money.
Your anger at FT posters is misplaced. You have been
  1. Shown what the issue is (OTA booking)
  2. Told who is to blame and why (your company travel office, because they booked rates ineligible for benefits as Marriott has clearly stated)
  3. Given a solution (contact your travel office and have them book correct rates)
FT has a reputation for harshness on new arrivals, sometimes warranted. But your anger at not getting the answer you want from people here isn't proving that point, nor helping you on future questions.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:28 am

You can complain that other FTers and/or Marriott are being mean to you, but that's not going to change the root cause of the problem here. My employment situation means that my hotel rooms are booked through no fewer than three different travel agencies depending on where the trip is and who's paying for it. I have never been denied elite benefits at any Marriott family property because our travel agent is booking published or negotiated 'corporate' rates. I have been denied elite benefits--and MR, er, Bonvoy points--when I book a Priceline 'express deal' on a personal trip and wind up at a Marriott, but that's clearly indicated in the program rules and it's a fair trade for getting a room for half the price available through Marriott.

Your company's travel agent is using bulk/consolidator/opaque/whatever we're calling them rates through one of the OTAs and Marriott is treating the bookings accordingly. I could write a book full of things I hate about Marriott, but this wouldn't be in it.

This is like complaining that National is being mean to you and not letting you take a car from the executive selection when your travel agent reserved you a subcompact. Or complaining that United gives upgrades to Silvers while you sit in a middle seat in E- as a 1K because someone bought you a basic economy fare.

tl;dr: I'm sorry your employer is such a cheapskate.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Lol I wish. This is really something Marriott needs to strong arm Expedia about, these rates are meant for college kids and 20 somethings etc, not well healed corporate travelers. Expedia has saturated the leisure market so it’s expanding into corporate travel now... this is not something that bodes well for most here.
I think denying elite benefits and Bonvoy points for stays booked this way is Marriott pushing back against the super-discount OTAs. It's not a new policy at all, but it's newly affecting business travelers whose companies are looking to save every last penny. If enough people like the OP take it up with their corporate travel agents like they should instead of complaining on FT, at least some companies will stop using the super-discounters for work travel.
cawhite and hhdl like this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Jan 7, 2020 at 1:53 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:29 am

im staying at a Marriott property with over 2500 nights as a LT Titanium. Marriott is still getting paid money for the stay
TROLOLOL

Hotels have to pay a sizable commission/fee when a customer books through OTA. The cost situation is totally different from a direct booking. And obviously, the hotel and the chain have further advantages when a customer books direct (just giving you two buzz words: big data and business intelligence).
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:41 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red

I am most certainly not a defender of Marriott but if you have travelled 2500 nights you should better understand how the program works. It is 100% down to your employer by booking through an ota. Imagine if everyone whether silver, gold or above just booked using oats then what purpose would Marriott Bonvoy serve! Either explain to your boss that in order for you to get your perks you need to book via bonvoy or a travel agent that Marriott recognises.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Our corporate travel agent (which we're required to use) has access to hotel rates from a variety of sources -- including some of the online TAs and consolidators like Hotels.com. I tell them not to book those rates, and instruct them to book 'regular' Marriott rates instead. That always works for me.
If I get to know, that "our" external consultants are booking more expensive hotel rates in order to receive elite benefits (e.g. free nights etc.) and charging it to us, these externals will get a boot.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Hotels have to pay a sizable commission/fee when a customer books through OTA. The cost situation is totally different from a direct booking. And obviously, the hotel and the chain have further advantages when a customer books direct (just giving you two buzz words: big data and business intelligence).
It always puzzles me. On the one hand the hotels are complaining about the high commissions that need to be paid to the OTAs.
On the other hand the hotels are releasing cheaper room buckets to these OTAs, but are not offering those cheaper rates on direct sales channels.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)

Read the T&C of the MB program and it will be obvious why you are treated like a non-member, nowadays this is industry standard.
Why do MAR design the MB program in this way? I would suspect that it is to increase the booking through their own booking interface and reduce the fees paid to OTA, i.e. MB have at least two objectives:
(1) Get travelers to stay at Marriott portfolio hotels
(2) Get the above travelers to book through marriott.com

You can choose to be outraged over this practice but until something material change in the hospitality industry you will be your rate....
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Smiley90
to be fair - pre-Merger marriott was one of the few hotel programs that DID grant elite benefits on 3rd party bookings. That went away sometime pre merger (or at the merger? I don't recall). So the poster coming from the Marriott-side might've simply missed the change in the T&C.
is this true?

It probably gone pre-merger.

is it written as part if T&C or a goodwill done by the hotel? and I have found many instance like this in some other forum. Elite Gold/Platinum and they do not even understand the basic rules

but seriously with 2,500 nights he should fall into savvy traveler, not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.