Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott took more points after original booking

Marriott took more points after original booking

Old Jan 5, 20, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Angry Marriott took more points after original booking

Ok, so I made a booking last Sept at a hotel for a couple nights at 100k for this Feb. Since then the rate went up due to the peak demand rates to 120k. I receive an booking confirmation email this morning for the same stay, but it shows 120k points so an concerned. I go an check my account activity, and it shows as of today, the original 100k being refunded and 120k being deducted. ...?!

So Marriott can go and take more points from me months after I've made a confirmed booking? Isn't this practice illegal? It amounts to me making a cash booking and showing up at the hotel and them demanding more per night. I sent them an email but have no confidence that they'll actually resolve this since Marriott customer service is total useless crap now.

Should I just go and submit a BBB complaint? Or is there some other authority I should report this to?
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Ok, so I made a booking last Sept at a hotel for a couple nights at 100k for this Feb. Since then the rate went up due to the peak demand rates to 120k. I receive an booking confirmation email this morning for the same stay, but it shows 120k points so an concerned. I go an check my account activity, and it shows as of today, the original 100k being refunded and 120k being deducted. ...?!

So Marriott can go and take more points from me months after I've made a confirmed booking? Isn't this practice illegal? It amounts to me making a cash booking and showing up at the hotel and them demanding more per night. I sent them an email but have no confidence that they'll actually resolve this since Marriott customer service is total useless crap now.

Should I just go and submit a BBB complaint? Or is there some other authority I should report this to?
If the points have been deducted from your account, and if you did not change the dates of the reservation, then the property should honor the reservation, even if the cost for the same reservation would now be higher due to a change of category or movement between Off-Peak, Standard, and Peak.

If you did not modify your reservation, then it seems that the property did so, whether intentionally or not.

Call Marriott. Ideally, it will take a single, quick phone call to get this corrected.

If your phone call is unsuccessful, then reach out to a Marriott Bonvoy Lurker.

In the very unlikely case that doesn't work, and if this is a property in the United States, then contact the consumer protection division of the state attorney general's office in the state where the hotel is located.
Antonio8069 likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 6, 20 at 12:14 am
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by rylan View Post

See post # 393. Apparently, it's a frequent occurrence.

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate Discussion Thread

Arne is too busy counting his millions and patting himself on the back to invest in a decent IT system.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I've had this happen when the exact room type of my reservation changed - that may be where the IT issue lies (in my case an upgrade triggered the change of room type and reprice).

A quick phone call to Marriott (not the property) fixed the issue and points were promptly returned - however I agree this shouldn't be happening. In my case I received no email and just saw a points deduction. It was over 6 months ago, so disappointing these issues have not been corrected.
Happy, Segments and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Nothing has changed since I made the original res and placed a suite night upgrade request months ago. So no action on my part to modify/edit the res after the rate went up. It appears to be entirely from the hotel side that resent and modified the reservation to the higher rate and confiscated my points.

My room type is still the exact same as I originally reserved, so no change there. Absurd that I have to go ahead and waste time contacting Marriott to get this resolved. I think that a notice to consumer protection is warranted even if they fix it, since it is Marriott that is taking more and should not be on the consumer to have to get their money/points back.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), HH Dia
With all of the IT "glitches" since the merger, I've resorted to keeping a spreadsheet to track my points in case they one day disappear. I also keep virtually every email (reservation, cancellation, you name it) because we obviously can't trust Marriott's systems.
margarita girl and jerry305 like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Marriott IT is a disaster. But a call, or two, or three, usually gets things fixed.
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I had the same thing happen late last year with a booking when a Courtyard rebranded to a Sheraton. The original 20k points for the booking made shortly prior to the rebranding was refunded and 35k was deducted. With all the issues that have been reported on FT since the merger, I gave up any hope of having it fixed.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Happened to me midstay last week. BonvoyLurker II was kind enough to fix it for me.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
Marriott IT is a disaster. But a call, or two, or three, usually gets things fixed.
Provided you spot it in the first place.
Tanic, Happy, RobOnLI and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:30 pm

Yeah same thing happened to me. I booked rooms for Singapore in June for 150k points 350ish SGD back in november or so but January 5th I get confirmation update saying I booked for 155k and 350ish SGD and so it deducted 5k more points
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Happened to me yesterday. Made two reservations back in Aug/Sept for stays this coming April. Both stays used a combo of points and cash.
For some reason, yesterday Jan 5 there were transactions in my activity page where they deducted points and added them back in.
One of the stays washed out OK. The other was a disaster. The original booking from Aug was using 70K pts. Make a long story short Marriott decided to deduct 210K pts from my account. Keep in mind, I made no changes to my reservation.

What the heck in their IT system says after 5 months of a reservation being made, let's go back in and re-do all the points?

Anyway I called and they put the points back in my account. It's been a half day now and they're still not there so we'll see.
Said it could take up to 24hrs to see it on my end even though they can see it on theirs.

One thing they did ask was if I got error messages during my booking (I did not). Seems some people are getting messages and submitting multiple times and the system is deducting each time.
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I check my points every day...to prevent things like this.

Im going to start my own spread sheet keeping track.
yule_boy likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There seems serious flaws in how the system takes care the dynamic pricing on existing reservations.

There should be a very basic condition check before system repriced the reservation, that is, it ONLY reprices it WHEN there is a change of elements, room type, date, for example. That does not prevent an upgrade room being assigned so it triggers the repricing but it should greatly reduces the current incidents we have seen reported here.

I hope the Lurkers would make the IT dept aware of this (and many other glitches) as they are reported and the lurkers themselves have to get involved to get the issues resolved.
yule_boy likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:45 pm

Programs: BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); Hyatt Somethingorother; UA Silver
It’s very easy to keep track of your Marriott points when you’ve stopped giving them business.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: