FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Split Billing on an 8-Night Stay- Normal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2002807-split-billing-8-night-stay-normal.html)

inlanikai Jan 5, 20 12:24 pm

Split Billing on an 8-Night Stay- Normal?

I recently stayed at the Spring Hill Suites in Carle Place, NY. It was a simple 8-night reservation without using any points and NOT a prepaid res. I guaranteed it against my CC and used the same one when I check-in. Nothing about the res was changed between the time I made the res through check-in and the stay. My duration was confirmed to be 8 nights at check-in by the desk agent.

After the 7th night (the morning of the 8th day) I get an email with my bill showing the check-out date to be that morning, one day short of my res, and my credit card being charged for 7 nights. I asked the front desk agent why I got a bill showing my check out that morning and was told that it was "normal" for most Marriotts to bill the credit card after 7 nights and that my reservation was for the 8th night as well and that I would get an additional bill for the 8th night, which I did.

Just wonder if in fact this is "normal" or is this just the property trying to manage cash flow? Thanks.

MePlatPremier Jan 5, 20 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by inlanikai (Post 31912024)
I recently stayed at the Spring Hill Suites in Carle Place, NY. It was a simple 8-night reservation without using any points and NOT a prepaid res. I guaranteed it against my CC and used the same one when I check-in. Nothing about the res was changed between the time I made the res through check-in and the stay. My duration was confirmed to be 8 nights at check-in by the desk agent.

After the 7th night (the morning of the 8th day) I get an email with my bill showing the check-out date to be that morning, one day short of my res, and my credit card being charged for 7 nights. I asked the front desk agent why I got a bill showing my check out that morning and was told that it was "normal" for most Marriotts to bill the credit card after 7 nights and that my reservation was for the 8th night as well and that I would get an additional bill for the 8th night, which I did.

Just wonder if in fact this is "normal" or is this just the property trying to manage cash flow? Thanks.

It’s just the property being overcautious with the credit card pre-authorizations. Usually a cc pre-auth (the cc “hold”) expires if the transaction is not completed within 7 days. For the hospitality industry the deadline is after 15 days, although there might be exceptions depending on the card brand, the issuer or the payments processor. Once expired, that pre-authorization is all but useless, especially if the available funds are withdrawn from the cc account or the card is then cancelled.

To prevent cc fraud some hotels require settlement of charges or roll-over of cc pre-authorizations on a weekly or fortnightly basis.

Tanic Jan 5, 20 1:05 pm

It is known as "Pre-settlement." Every bonvOY property that I have stayed at for an extended period pre-settles the bill. Some have criteria of a number of days, others pre-settle after a dollar amount has been reached. About 7 days or US$1000 is normal to trigger pre-settlement.

I have been lucky at times that this would trigger another point/stay bonus.

dunno282 Jan 5, 20 2:12 pm

i have been doin 30 day stays and never had this issue. Every month I would get automatically checked in with a preauth on my CC and after a couple of days it would disappear. At day 30, I would get a bill and charged for the month plus any incidentals on my CC. The hotel checks me out and checks me right back in. I never had to do anything.

uibd Jan 5, 20 4:18 pm

Every hotel is different. I had a 100 night stay where the hotel was billing me every week but didn't issue a statement until the end. I've had a 15 night stay where they billed me every 5 nights with statements and then I had a 75 night stay where they didn't bill a thing to my CC until the end.