Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program January, 2020 and onward

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 7, 20, 12:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rustykettel
Wiki Link
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will earn only points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Titanium and Ambassador members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked ó up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 20, 7:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist

Marriott Bonvoy Event program discussions from January, 2020 and onward.
Old Jan 2, 20, 9:23 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
I can confirm - no meeting elite night credits anymore

I just tried to schedule a meeting to earn the ten elite night credits, and the person I work with responded in part, "As of midnight on 1/1/20, Marriott is no longer honoring the 10 elite nights for the first meeting of the year." Bummer. At least I still got the 15 credit card nights. Will be more difficult to get to 50 nights now. I suppose that's the idea...
svo242 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
Will be more difficult to get to 50 nights now. I suppose that's the idea...
pretty much....they reduced the nights earning to one meeting per year so something like this was on expected lines....

i have an event coming up towards the end of this month but my event coordinator confirmed that the 10 elite nights for the first meeting of the year would no longer be honoured....even though the contract was signed 4 months ago....
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
makes a lot of sense and honestly, between rollover, meeting nights, CC nights and promos it was simply too easy to obtain and maintain status with Marriott previously. Hoping this will further reduce the # of Plat and higher such that they can continue to provide benefits.
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just received an email from my event coordinator regarding my event in may, informing me that the 10 nights elite benefit for the first meeting of the year has gone away....even though the contract was signed a couple of months ago....

so both properties for my events in january & may have confirmed that the 10 elite nights will not be granted even though the contracts were signed before the change took place....so if anyone thinks they can get marriott to award them the 10 nights, as they signed the contract before the change was made, should be careful as marriott probably won't budge from their stance....
dagangwood likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
makes a lot of sense and honestly, between rollover, meeting nights, CC nights and promos it was simply too easy to obtain and maintain status with Marriott previously. Hoping this will further reduce the # of Plat and higher such that they can continue to provide benefits.
Look at how easy one gets diamond at Hilton. Just one card sign up!
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
It was easy if youíre a North American member. For those of us in the rest of the world, we donít get a credit card with nights, nor the double nights promo. So for us itís not easy to qualify. We donít even get the good AAA rates as thatís only a US programme.

Marriott is a US centric programme and is alienating the rest of its global members by not having a fair and level playing field.

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Jan 3, 20 at 8:14 am
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:20 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
While I never participated in the events programme and manged to LT status through the long and winding road. As a non US resident I agree with the sentiment that MB is a US centric program. However it has slowly moved from this position for instance moving from a LT program based on # years instead of points which is less beneficial to the US based member. Still as been have pointed out a US customer have lot more potential perks.

It is quite surprising that the design of the MB program do not explicitly promote growth outside the US. This might be a deliberate corporate strategy that they don't think that MB will contribute to the ex US growth or that ex US growth is a low priority. Another reason could be that they first aquire the hotels abroad then redesign MB to fit the hotel portfolio.
Whether this is going to be profitable or not time will tell...
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 10:04 am

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Yep. The "10 nights...." bit is no longer on the events section of the website.
Sad that they're not honouring the benefit for those who booked events "before" the change.

Totally agree with the comments on how US - centric the programme is, especially with regards to credit cards, etc. Here in the UK, the "only" Marriott options are either the SPG Amex, with no elite nights benefits, or, indirectly via a Gold Amex and transferring Amex rewards points to Marriott.
MaxFlyer and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:42 am

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
just received an email from my event coordinator regarding my event in may, informing me that the 10 nights elite benefit for the first meeting of the year has gone away....even though the contract was signed a couple of months ago....
While they can pass along what they're told, keep in mind that the elite nights were never given by the property. It's up to Bonvoy, not the properties, to honor those contracts signed before the change or not.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
I would push back to Marriott and try and get them to honour signed contracts. Itís very poor behaviour if they cannot uphold their side of an agreement. I would say thatís itís even unscrupulous...
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer View Post
I would push back to Marriott and try and get them to honour signed contracts. Itís very poor behaviour if they cannot uphold their side of an agreement. I would say thatís itís even unscrupulous...
the contract does not say anything about the 10 elite nights though. The specific part was quoted above.
Old Jan 4, 20, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
While they can pass along what they're told, keep in mind that the elite nights were never given by the property. It's up to Bonvoy, not the properties, to honor those contracts signed before the change or not.
i believe it is bonvoy that is asking the properties to pass on the messages....i couldn't care less about the 10 elite nights....my events are genuine events where i've booked over 200 room nights & over 100 rooms nights respectively for the 2 events....but the fact that the property feels the need to inform me regarding the change in terms leads me to believe it is bonvoy asking them to do so....
Old Jan 13, 20, 8:41 am

Programs: DL GM, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
It's been almost 2 weeks since my meeting ended on 12/31. I still don't see credit on my account for the event yet. How long does it normally take for the credit to reflect on my account?
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (from CC), Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by ab2013 View Post
How long does it normally take for the credit to reflect on my account?
My experience has been three to four days after the property processes the meeting using the Group Posting Tool.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: