Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

$300k discrimination lawsuit re: no-party policy at a Portland (Oregon) Residence Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$300k discrimination lawsuit re: no-party policy at a Portland (Oregon) Residence Inn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Usual nuisance lawsuit, usual settlement to go away and avoid legal fees.
The suit is not nuisance, as the plaintiff is entitled for equal treatment. But the thing is damage must be proved. So the big question of the suit is not the disparate treatment, but how the plaintiff can prove she has suffered $300k in damage just for the no party notice.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by garykung
The suit is not nuisance, as the plaintiff is entitled for equal treatment. But the thing is damage must be proved. So the big question of the suit is not the disparate treatment, but how the plaintiff can prove she has suffered $300k in damage just for the no party notice.
what makes you certain it was race, not where her driver’s license said. Or lack of elite status. Or booking code or return guests. The hotels have files on all of us. But by all means, play the race card and whine with zero proof or facts. How predictable
Newman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
what makes you certain it was race, not where her driver’s license said. Or lack of elite status. Or booking code or return guests. The hotels have files on all of us. But by all means, play the race card and whine with zero proof or facts. How predictable
There are 2 legal doctrines for Motion to Dismiss, which state:

1. Courts must construe the pleadings in the light most favorable to the nonmoving party and view the facts alleged in the complaint as true; and,

2. Any ambiguities concerning the sufficiency of the claims must be resolved in favor of the nonmoving party.

As an outsider, we will never know the truth. And personally, I don't really care if it is a race or not. But for the sake of the discussion, I believe that the purported victim should be given some credits so that we can avoid becoming judgmental.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I am not African American but I was asked to sign a no-party agreement at another hotel in Portland in November. Perhaps there have been some local reports of major damage from partying guests recently. I am sure the hotels talk to each other about such things.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by garykung
... so that we can avoid becoming judgmental.
ahah... this is FT! Don’t get any high hopes. Judge and jury have already decided what this case is all about and are in the midst of executing the plaintiff.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Just another data point. Occasionally, I have been asked to sign a non-party agreement at both Marriott and IHG properties (my two primary chains). I believe the requirement for a non-party agreement is based on location and issues the property may have had previously. I am caucasian. In all cases when I had to sign an agreement, it appeared that all guests were asked to do so at check in. I.e. I don't believe it was discriminatory in any manner. I don't know about the specific property in Portland, but think it is likely to be a general requirement rather than discrimination. If it does indeed turn out to be discrimination after all, then the property and especially the staff who are responsible for dictating the discriminatory policy, should be dealt with very harshly. Discrimination is never acceptable.

--Jon
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
If I was going to throw a party, I'd pick a cooler hotel.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JackE
What were the logistics of the mandatory tip? If it wasn't on the menu, then did they inform you when you ordered, or when the check came, or ????
It was not on the menu nor was I informed either prior to ordering or upon receipt of the check. If I hadn’t been paying attention, it would have gone unnoticed and I would have double-tipped. This was at a well-known national chain that has a standard mandatory tip policy for parties sized 6 or more. That policy was indeed on the menu.

I, of course, complained to the corporate headquarters and received a phone call/backhanded apology from either the owner or manager (I cannot recall which). He essentially said that it was just the staff’s way of making sure that the particular people who tended to hang out there on that day of the week tipped. I did not sue anyone, but I no longer eat there or at the chain.

My point is that our life experiences are often different. All it takes is one bad apple within the corporate structure.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Mods should really this thread to "OMNI"
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
I've got FOMO!! I've never been asked to sign a party waiver. I think they are discriminating about me being a senior!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Jiatong
This post should be moved to OMNI
Originally Posted by Jiatong
Mods should really this thread to "OMNI"
Why don't you contact a mod?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I've stayed hundreds of nights in Marriotts including many in Portland and have never been asked to sign something like this. That said, if she had to sign it and saw multiple other guests checking in without being asked to, I understand her anger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.