Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

$300k discrimination lawsuit re: no-party policy at a Portland (Oregon) Residence Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$300k discrimination lawsuit re: no-party policy at a Portland (Oregon) Residence Inn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JackE
There's quite a bit of discrimination against white males these days. You're just exhibited it yourself!

As to your comment about "a multinational corporation", Marriott does not require a no-party agreement.
A post essentially calling for increased self awareness from a historically privileged class of person, discrimination does not make.

If the facts of this case are indeed true, there should be liability. She will, of course, have to substantiate any damages award. I say that as both a lawyer and a black male who has, for instance, been subjected to things such as a mandatory tip for a dinner party of 3 when certain others at a separate table were not.
SPN Lifer, Horace, oopsz and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
"Gonzales’ suit seeks $300,000 for embarrassment, frustration, humiliation and “feelings of racial stigmatization.” The suit also says it could later be amended to add $1 million in punitive damages."

Like, really? Even if her side of the story is the whole story and she was in fact singled out based on race (which is questionable, but for the sake of argument...), surely the maximum justifiable amount would be three to four digits of compensation, not six or seven. I understand shooting for the moon, but this is so ridiculous. You would get less money if Bill Marriott personally chopped off your left ear and both big toes.
That is the essence of punitive damages. It is not supposed to compensate for any harm suffered by the plaintiff but rather to inflict a penalty on the tortfeasor so as to serve as an incentive that s/he will refrain from engaging in that conduct again in the future.

Now whether $1 million is too much for punitive damages it really depends on the circumstances of the case, but in any case not on the specific injuries claimed by the plaintiff.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If you have a confirmed reservation and refuse to sign the "no partying" agreement upon check-in, what does the hotel do? Is it a walk? Does the URG apply? So many possibilities...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Chewie
What if the guests she saw had been repeat guests and previously signed the documentation on a prior stay? Perhaps they keep the disclaimer on file?
Or they were guests on corporate rates.

One hotel in which I worked required a credit card, debit card, or large cash deposit to check into a room. That requirement was waived for guests booked on corporate accounts that included direct billing. If there was damage or unpaid incidentals, we knew we'd get paid eventually by the company.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
That is the essence of punitive damages. It is not supposed to compensate for any harm suffered by the plaintiff but rather to inflict a penalty on the tortfeasor so as to serve as an incentive that s/he will refrain from engaging in that conduct again in the future.
Except for the part that they could "add $1 million in punitive damages", implying that the current suit is for actual damages.

I'm curious how $300,000 in "harm suffered by the plaintiff" was calculated.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Chewie
What if the guests she saw had been repeat guests and previously signed the documentation on a prior stay? Perhaps they keep the disclaimer on file?
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Or they were guests on corporate rates.
Maybe.

Or maybe not.

Originally Posted by Often1
Either there are significant facts not reported, to back this up and prove a claim OR this will be dismissed soon enough.
We will find out one way or the other.

But I don't think there need to be additional significant facts not reported to back this up and have it dismissed. I'd say there need to be facts not reported that contradict the claim, as hypothesized above, to have it dismissed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Except for the part that they could "add $1 million in punitive damages", implying that the current suit is for actual damages.

I'm curious how $300,000 in "harm suffered by the plaintiff" was calculated.
300k for intentional infliction of emotional distress is not completely at odds with the prevailing trends on damage awards. It is incumbent on the plaintiff to prove she did suffer that injury and up to the finder of fact to make such determination. We really do not have all facts, but I’ve certainly heard or read in the news about courts awarding six-figure pecuniary awards to compensate for what one might qualify as not-so-significant emotional and psychological injuries.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
For the lawyers in the group, if the case is found to be baseless can Marriott or the property then counter-sue for damages to their reputation for being falsely accused?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
According to the linked story, she lived in Portland until October 2018 and drove back to Portland from California in January 2019 to visit family. It was during this visit that she was asked to sign the no parties document.

Wonder if her drivers license still showed a Portland address? Not uncommon for hotels to be concerned with local residents hosting parties in their hotel rooms.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by duhe
A post essentially calling for increased self awareness from a historically privileged class of person, discrimination does not make.

If the facts of this case are indeed true, there should be liability. She will, of course, have to substantiate any damages award. I say that as both a lawyer and a black male who has, for instance, been subjected to things such as a mandatory tip for a dinner party of 3 when certain others at a separate table were not.
What were the logistics of the mandatory tip? If it wasn't on the menu, then did they inform you when you ordered, or when the check came, or ????
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
Not to worry. Either there are significant facts not reported, to back this up and prove a claim OR this will be dismissed soon enough.
So true. I highly doubt a notice like this can cause such amount of injury anyway.

A few thousand may be possible.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by garykung
So true. I highly doubt a notice like this can cause such amount of injury anyway.

A few thousand may be possible.

Usual nuisance lawsuit, usual settlement to go away and avoid legal fees.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Tanic
If you have a confirmed reservation and refuse to sign the "no partying" agreement upon check-in, what does the hotel do? Is it a walk? Does the URG apply? So many possibilities...
I once ran into a related issue at a hotel where the clerk insisted on making a photocopy of my driver's license because I live within 100 miles. When I refused, she went into the back to confer with the (unseen) manager, returning with "That policy is being waived this once​​."
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:39 pm

It would be interesting to get copies of all the times they made customers sign the forms and what the breakdown of races were. It would seem this would show whether there is or is not a viable lawsuit. As much as I dislike lawsuits I dislike racism more. Unfortunately we will likely never know the true story on this one.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
It would be interesting to get copies of all the times they made customers sign the forms and what the breakdown of races were. It would seem this would show whether there is or is not a viable lawsuit. As much as I dislike lawsuits I dislike racism more. Unfortunately we will likely never know the true story on this one.
I would expect you'd need to further break this down by room types (i.e., large suites booked by one or two), status, repeat guest, and other possible variables.

The hotel would hopefully be asking every first time guest to sign one of these.

I can certainly see that a hotel would be wary of anyone booking a large suite to hold a party. At least I would hope they'd be wary of anyone, not just someone fitting a profile. And even if they weren't wary of "anyone," at least be consistent in a policy.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.