Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scooter in Club Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ackpfft
EWW - yeah - it's gross and it's violates multiple health codes.
You're correct on the latter, but the former is a matter of opinion. I disagree that it's gross. I do it at home and I certainly wouldn't require new plates if a dinner guest wants seconds. Nothing else touches your plate except food you're going to eat when you refill it. Meanwhile, watch how people handle the serving utensils and other items at the buffet with their clean plates in hand. That's what's gross.

Still, people should use clean plates because it's a rule.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:08 pm

I don't understand those pushing back against reports of bad behavior by children by citing bad behavior by adults. Isn't bad behavior by children ultimately attributable to an adult as well?
cawhite and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by trouble747
I don't understand those pushing back against reports of bad behavior by children by citing bad behavior by adults. Isn't bad behavior by children ultimately attributable to an adult as well?
To be honest I don't know what you're trying to imply here. If you're trying to imply bad children = bad parents, then sure, I'll grant that, parents should keep their kids in line. But the replies from adults (who may or may not have children) that points out factually and logically, that the issue with the lounge isn't ultimately children, but adults themselves. Not sure why this is hard to understand or I guess, swallow.

I've just saw this on my last business trip in Hilton lounge. An adult dropped a glass and when the staff came she pointed at a family with children leaving the lounge and claimed "that kid did it". What a disgrace.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by paolo64
Surely the greater risk comes from the shared implements used to serve the food: the knives, spoon, tongs etc...touched by potentially hundreds of hands during a sitting. But I’m not losing sleep over that; it’s all part of living dangerously at the buffet ( although I might feel differently in Wuhan under these sad circumstances).
I never touch shared serving utensils- I take a napkin and use it hold the handle. At SoupPlantation or any large buffet, I ask for a plastic food prep glove.

Reused dishes are disgusting - you’ve never seen someone put food on a dirty plate and then take some off and put it back? It’s not rare, hence the law and this is why I had the LA county health dept raid and cite the United Club for not enforcing this rule because I witnessed this very violation and the staff refused to do anything about it.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by paolo64
Surely the greater risk comes from the shared implements used to serve the food: the knives, spoon, tongs etc...touched by potentially hundreds of hands during a sitting. But I’m not losing sleep over that; it’s all part of living dangerously at the buffet ( although I might feel differently in Wuhan under these sad circumstances).
We can wash our hands. Can't wash off food that was contaminated through transfer from someones mouth->spoon->plate->buffet.. Never will be a perfect system at a buffet though.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Reused dishes are disgusting - you’ve never seen someone put food on a dirty plate and then take some off and put it back?
In most of Asia, even HK, I'm just going to avoid buffets, especially with this virus thing going on. For whatever reason, most of the world outside of America just don't get this or care, and that's ok. When I've finished with a plate and leave my utensils to be collected (prefer new utensils with each new dish/plate), I've noticed most hotel staff always remove them placing the used utensils on the table. This I can't stand, and really wish they'd stop it.

New knife & fork for every single dish and plate. How hard is this to understand? If I wanted to keep my utensils, I wouldn't place them on my plate in the 4 to 5 o'clock (6 for you English) position.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Visconti
In most of Asia, even HK, I'm just going to avoid buffets, especially with this virus thing going on. For whatever reason, most of the world outside of America just don't get this or care, and that's ok. When I've finished with a plate and leave my utensils to be collected (prefer new utensils with each new dish/plate), I've noticed most hotel staff always remove them placing the used utensils on the table. This I can't stand, and really wish they'd stop it.

New knife & fork for every single dish and plate. How hard is this to understand? If I wanted to keep my utensils, I wouldn't place them on my plate in the 4 to 5 o'clock (6 for you English) position.
But I've never seen this in Japan - I spend far too much time in the ANA lounges, I never see a Japanese patron re-use a dish, or use their hands to take anything - but a foreigner, certainly, and far too often. I've seen the same in the Tokyo Marriott Shinagawa lounge where Japanese guests will never do this, but foreigners often do, and I ask the staff to confiscate their dirty dishes before they go back to the buffet - the staff clearly understand why this is wrong, and will step in to stop it. It seems outside of Canada, where staff are as clueless as customers about proper hygiene, it's only the customers who are the problem.

Last edited by bocastephen; Jan 29, 2020 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:24 am

yes, it’s very widespread in Asia, both at breakfast buffets and in lounges. I don’t like it and simply get fresh ones. I don’t quite understand the thinking behind it.
In respect of Boca-Stephen’s point about utensils: it’s not uncommon to see someone eat standing at the buffet, hand to mouth, and then pick up a utensil to take from a dish. What can you do? The grazing at the buffet thing has become so common that it’s almost the norm, sadly.

Originally Posted by Visconti

Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:38 am

Reused dishes are disgusting - you’ve never seen someone put food on a dirty plate and then take some off and put it back? It’s not rare, hence the law and this is why I had the LA county health dept raid and cite the United Club for not enforcing this rule because I witnessed this very violation and the staff refused to do anything about it.
Ugh, I'm glad I've never seen that. Now I'll be thinking about it.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Ugh, I'm glad I've never seen that. Now I'll be thinking about it.
You've never been in an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge where disease transmission is an art form. Aside from reusing dirty dishes, sometimes 5+ times, Canadians will frequently use their hands instead of serving utensils, including digging their hands down into a cookie jar, eat over serving dishes, sneeze or cough around serving dishes, and in one famous case documented right here on FT, a visitor at the YUL MLL served herself a plate of pasta, then licked the serving spoon before putting it back. I would have given real money to have been there with a taser.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once in the lounge at the Sheraton CDG, I saw a fussy toddler accompanied by an apparently American mother who "solved" the problem by taking all some clean silverware and putting it on the floor for the kid to play. Playing included putting some table knives, forks, and spoons into the kids mouth. When the mother was finally ready to leave, she gathered up all of the silverware from the floor and put it back into the clean silverware bins to be taken by the next guest. When the lounge attendant reappeared, I told what had happened and strongly suggested that all of the silverware be removed to be washed.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:21 am

You've never been in an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge where disease transmission is an art form.
Actually, I've been in quite a few of them, but I'm obviously blissfully ignorant of how people behave at buffets I guess. And I try to sit somewhere without a view of the food anyway, for privacy. I suppose, having been raised with proper manners, I just assume people don't act like animals in public. Oblivious, stupid behavior is rampant at airports, why should I have assumed differently in an airport lounge?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
To be honest I don't know what you're trying to imply here. If you're trying to imply bad children = bad parents, then sure, I'll grant that, parents should keep their kids in line. But the replies from adults (who may or may not have children) that points out factually and logically, that the issue with the lounge isn't ultimately children, but adults themselves. Not sure why this is hard to understand or I guess, swallow.

I've just saw this on my last business trip in Hilton lounge. An adult dropped a glass and when the staff came she pointed at a family with children leaving the lounge and claimed "that kid did it". What a disgrace.
The issue is, people here justifying bad child behavior by pointing to bad adult behavior, as though one bad thing makes the other acceptable.

Both are a problem. And in my experience, it's easier for me to handle and stop a badly behaving adult.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by Antarius
The issue is, people here justifying bad child behavior by pointing to bad adult behavior, as though one bad thing makes the other acceptable.

Both are a problem. And in my experience, it's easier for me to handle and stop a badly behaving adult.
I don't know that it's one justifying the other as much as one instance of bad behavior doesn't necessarily justify banning a group of people. When a kid misbehaves, there are instantly calls for all kids to be banned. Adults misbehave all the time, but we don't come to the same conclusion about how to resolve the problem. I contend that poorly behaved people should be asked to get it together or leave, regardless of age. I acknowledge this is overly simplistic and can put staff in difficult situations, making age restrictions all the more attractive to management.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I don't know that it's one justifying the other as much as one instance of bad behavior doesn't necessarily justify banning a group of people. When a kid misbehaves, there are instantly calls for all kids to be banned. Adults misbehave all the time, but we don't come to the same conclusion about how to resolve the problem. I contend that poorly behaved people should be asked to get it together or leave, regardless of age. I acknowledge this is overly simplistic and can put staff in difficult situations, making age restrictions all the more attractive to management.
I agree that poorly behaved people should be kicked out. Some of the examples in the thread, kids and adults are appalling.

I suspect the numbers/percentages are why several people support age restrictions. Yes, there are poorly behaved adults but the majority of people I see in the lounge are non-noteworthy. In my experience, the ratio is not the same for kids. Some people have well behaved kids, but that number is not the vast majority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.