Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott?

Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott?

Old Dec 24, 19, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, QR Platinum
In my 24 stays in 2019, I got only 2 suite upgrades!
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've had a suite upgrade at Courtyards a couple of times, Renaissance also. The Marriott where I stay often doesn't have any suites, as far as I know. I stayed at a Sheraton where they upgraded me to a suite with an SNA, but I ended up wishing that they hadn't due to the way the noise from the adjoining room funneled directly into the suite.

Westin I find the stingiest.
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I got junior suite or suite upgrades (in Europe) nearly 60% of stays.
Old Dec 24, 19, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
90% of my Marriott stays are for work. The vast majority of my work stays are for one or two nights. I rarely ask for an upgrade for a work stay. However, my work stay upgrade percentage is around 75%. About 50% of my work upgrades are to suites. I probably could have more suite upgrades if I asked for them.

My personal stays have around 90% upgrade percentage and the vast majority of these upgrades are to suites. However, I usually ask my Ambassador to intervene.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Iím amazed that OP has missed this thread with 475 posts since Feb 2019.

Post Your Marriott Bonvoy Elite Upgrade Experiences 2019

I guess the answer to the question is a few people here and there have received suite upgrades.
+ 1

As my first year as Plat and now Tit, especially at Sheratons (four points or Sheraton) but also at AC hotels, Marriotts (more likely at Junior Suite), now at W Muscat (Junior suite).

I would say quite always at least to executive room, booking always the basic one
Old Dec 25, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I find some properties biggest non-suite room is better than their junior suite. It's pretty much junior suite without the wall, and the room feels that much more spacious and restful.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 25, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Yes Iíd say I always get an upgrade of some sort and had a few junior suites and a properties I have revisited have given me suite upgrades.

I have to say suites arenít always what they are made out to be sometimes I happy with the larger normal room with a decent bathroom.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:20 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
18 stays this year. Got a London Marriott suite with SNAs, and in the US, unprompted upgrades at a Sheraton, a Residence Inn (to one of the old bi-level “penthouses” that I love), and a TownePlace Suites. Also one Marriott property where the check in associate looked for a suite for me unprompted but said they were all booked.

Several other stays I got a higher floor/better view/larger room type of room.

Last edited by ryw; Dec 25, 19 at 9:26 pm
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty View Post
I have to say suites arenít always what they are made out to be sometimes I happy with the larger normal room with a decent bathroom.
Yes, I've received a number of undesirable suites from Marriott properties. Biggest issues for me are either interior corners with no natural light (e.g., Marriott Gaslamp, Renaissance Newport Beach) or right next to elevator (Marriott LAX, LM San Francisco, Sheraton Grand Los Angeles). The ones next to an elevator I turn down immediately.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
I find some properties biggest non-suite room is better than their junior suite. It's pretty much junior suite without the wall, and the room feels that much more spacious and restful.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, I've received a number of undesirable suites from Marriott properties. Biggest issues for me are either interior corners with no natural light (e.g., Marriott Gaslamp, Renaissance Newport Beach) or right next to elevator (Marriott LAX, LM San Francisco, Sheraton Grand Los Angeles). The ones next to an elevator I turn down immediately.
Definitely agree with this. The JW Marquis / Beaux Arts in Miami have some otherwise extremely nice suites which have the headboard of the bed literally against the wall of the elevator shaft. I sadly had to throw one of those back once for a very nice corner room instead.
Old Dec 25, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Since merge my suite upgrade rate is more than 50% and always get at least executive room in SE Asia where I logged almost all my Titanium stays. 100% suite upgrade at Athenee BKK (3 stays) Renaissance BKK (2 stays) and Four Points (twice Junior suite), 50% at LM Bangkok ( would be 100% if I didn’t deny the smoking suite a few days ago and opt for the premium corner room with round bed which I like very much), twice upgraded to Grand Deluxe xx07 room at St. Regis and 75% suite upgrade at SGS ( 3 upgrades to suite and last Saturday stay to Luxury room due to suite sold out and the reception lady very sorry, another stay got pre-upgraded to a massive two bedroom family suites w/o SNA). Facts: I always book entry level Corp. cancellable lowest rate, most stays are one to two nights except October SGS six night stay and I got luxury suite upgrade.
Old Dec 26, 19, 6:42 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
In the US, probably 1 in 10 stays, in Asia it was almost all my stays get upgraded.
Old Dec 27, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Amb
As an Ambassador, I'm upgraded to a suite 85% of the time - often times before check-in.

At check-in I'll casually ask, "no big deal, but any chance for an upgrade for an Ambassador"

I've never not had an SNA clear.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Dec 27, 19, 9:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Marriot Rewards Lifetime Platinum/2020 Titanium
Yes, several times. All my SNAs cleared this year as well.

And my elite status was recognized at welcome, my bonus points credited, my points redemptions went off without a hitch, and I even received some extra goodies from hotel staff occasionally.

I had one stay in 2019 that I had to email to have my folio and points credited; the Las Vegas Cosmo.
Old Dec 27, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Final tally for 2019

19 stays
5 non upgrades (mostly due to hotel full or booked suite already)
11 room upgrades
3 suite upgrades without SNA
4 suite upgrades with SNA

Most of the stays are 3-4 nights stays although there are 2 room upgrades for stays above 7 nights stays.

All the stays are in APAC region.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: