Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott?

Has anyone ever received a suite upgrade from Marriott?

Old Dec 23, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Reading this forum I have to say I'm so glad most of my business travels are within East Asia. I'll breakdown by region of success to land a suite:

East Asia - around 40+ stays, I would say upgrade rate 90%, and the other 10% are genuine overbook situations.

USA - 10 stays, 3 upgrades, 30%.

Europe - 3 stays, 0-3, 0%

Middle East - 1 stay, nope.

So yes, it does seem like East Asia is treating elites better. With non-East Asian stays, most of the time I would check the app and I can still book a junior suite, so there's definitely availability.
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
4 suite upgrades in 2019, SGS Bangkok and Renaissance Phuket while on vacation with family, and Junior Suites at JW Marriott Tomorrow Square Shanghai on business. No suites in the US and Europe.
I've once overheard a US-based property frontdesk manager said to her staff that "we don't upgrade Platinums to suites, ever." Not sure if she meant they only upgrade Ambassador or Titaniums, or it's Platinum or above. I'm Titanium and I didn't get an upgrade during that stay, app shows availability for junior suites.

But to be fair, I guess I'll mention, I was impressed with Boston Sheraton. I got an "double-upgrade" when I book two rooms (one for my colleague). Both of us got a big suite. Kudos to Boston Sheraton!
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Yes, including a full hospitality suite with two bathrooms at the Austin Sheraton on MLK weekend.

edit: Remember to tell them you are a "diamond guest" at least 5 times.
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:49 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Talking

At hotels i am a regular at i get 90 percent upgrade rates to suites
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis PP, and others
I’d say I get upgrades more often than not. Hotel has to be booked solid. I do find that I have to explicitly ask or use the SNA.

I’ve mainly been in junior suites or executive suites, nothing Presidential or having its own conference room/piano.
I regularly get room type bumps (ex. - book a low rate king room, get a bump to a larger king room/better view that has a higher rate).

For me, I want a view more than anything else, so I usually just ask for whatever is offered on an upper floor with a view that meets whatever I want for that particular stay.
Old Dec 23, 19, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
I've once overheard a US-based property frontdesk manager said to her staff that "we don't upgrade Platinums to suites, ever." Not sure if she meant they only upgrade Ambassador or Titaniums, or it's Platinum or above. I'm Titanium and I didn't get an upgrade during that stay, app shows availability for junior suites.

But to be fair, I guess I'll mention, I was impressed with Boston Sheraton. I got an "double-upgrade" when I book two rooms (one for my colleague). Both of us got a big suite. Kudos to Boston Sheraton!
My experience is similar to the rest of this thread. For most of my stays with available suites, Marriott never offers an upgrade. Since the merger, I have to beg and grovel even for a regular room on the top floor as a Lifetime Titanium guest. It never used to be that way--I used to be pretty much assured of top floor, with some suites if availability was decent.

I've got 8+ nights booked at Hyatt in January thus far. Trying something new, as I had really good experiences with Hyatt in 2019 a low-level Elite.
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
It has been very consistent to me that I receive UG almost 100% in China for the last unteen years. Next to that is Asia (except Japan, a bit hit & miss). Europe, not so much even with SNA. The worst is domestic USA.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
One personal anecdote for what it's worth:

I had a one-night stay at the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City a couple of weeks ago. Since I like to know in advance what upgrades are even possible, I tend to check the website shortly before check-in--in this case, every single room and suite type was available. Plus, this was a one-night stay, which we all know tends to increase upgrade chances.

The very pleasant associate who checked me in at the front desk thanked me for being an ambassador member and cheerfully told me I had been upgrade to a "premium" room, which I had already noticed on the app--basically, this is a regular room on a higher (but still non-Club) floor. She also apologized that they had no suites available to upgrade me into. I thanked her, told her that was fine, and then asked what the upcharge would be to add Club lounge access to my stay. It's like a light switch flipped--she immediately went into a canned pitch that started, "As you know, club lounges at the Ritz-Carlton are different..." I was a little rude, but I cut her off right there, laughed, and told her that's why I asked about an upcharge, not an upgrade. The light switch flipped again--she went back to being a pleasant, helpful associate, laughed as well, and apologized. She then told me the upcharge for ambassador members was $75 per night, which I accepted and then I asked her if any rooms on the same floor as the lounge were available. She typed and clicked for a few seconds and said, "You know what, a suite just opened up that I think you'll enjoy." So I ended up with a large executive suite with a panoramic view of the Pentagon and Air Force Memorial, all for being polite and pleasant while checking in.

Was that suite available when I walked up to the front desk? Almost certainly. But it was only through being human, and treating the front desk associate like a human, that I ended up with that upgrade. And whether or not that's how the system is SUPPOSED to work, it's simply how it DOES work in the real world. Had I been a pompous, self-absorbed DYKWIA who bragged about my ambassador status, tried to demand free Club access, etc., I would have gotten the "premium" room upgrade and that's it.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sounds like just another RC not adhering to Bonvoy rules @:-) But not surprising with Marriott inconsistency these days
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
It is strange logic to me that spending $20k in a year somehow entitles you to a free $1k/night (or more) suite at RC.
I only expect it because I’ve been told to.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman View Post
it was only through being human, and treating the front desk associate like a human, that I ended up with that upgrade. And whether or not that's how the system is SUPPOSED to work, it's simply how it DOES work in the real world. Had I been a pompous, self-absorbed DYKWIA who bragged about my ambassador status, tried to demand free Club access, etc., I would have gotten the "premium" room upgrade and that's it.
What a lovely, heartwarming story just in time for Christmas.

Gotta love the hard pivot - those of us who earned our status, read the program T&Cs, and know what we were promised as part of the deal are “pompous” and “self-absorbed”, and if we wish to receive what is printed on the paper we actually need to be sufficiently charming instead.

And you have also trained that agent by reaffirming what her manager likely already instilled in her - that true premium rooms should be held back, through lying if necessary, and doled out to those customers willing to pay upcharges.

Nice work.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:15 pm

Yesss I have
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:15 pm

Oh also the same day i received an upgrade to business class by emirates. It was a good day indeed
Old Dec 24, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
One personal anecdote for what it's worth:

Was that suite available when I walked up to the front desk? Almost certainly. But it was only through being human, and treating the front desk associate like a human, that I ended up with that upgrade. And whether or not that's how the system is SUPPOSED to work, it's simply how it DOES work in the real world. Had I been a pompous, self-absorbed DYKWIA who bragged about my ambassador status, tried to demand free Club access, etc., I would have gotten the "premium" room upgrade and that's it.
I believe the upgrade is more likely because you pay for club access.

The story actually show that the hotel breach Bonvoy T&C by witholding their available suite from titanium/ambassador member.
(The T&C did specify RC club is excluded so any elites demand free RC club access is plainly wrong)
Old Dec 24, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
You are exactly the reason why hotels want to do whatever they want even the T&C is there because a customer will pay.

I am unsure why would the check in agent not being treated as human if they simply just upgrade the Titanium/Ambassadors if the suite is available.
UA-NYC likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: