15N for North America only, fair?

Old Dec 19, 19, 11:05 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 319
15N for North America only, fair?

If 10N for events ends 2020, I started to think is 15N for North America credit card only, fair?

For the new Marriott master card in UAE, only get5N credits per year, not to mention the rest of the world as some smaller wealthy country who might have strong contributions for per members but can never have a Marriott credit card such as Singapore or Hong Kong, is this even fair at all the North America can keep 35N a year for Plat while the rest of the world needs to spend 50N, and we get the exactly the same Platinum benefit with North America costume but we rest of world more difficult to keep status.

Is this even fair or Bonvoy a US only program??
Vince Chan is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 12:30 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 12,496
Of course it's not fair. It's also not fair that, for example, I have to meet a spend requirement to earn elite status with US-based airlines while non-US residents don't. Or any number of other regional promotions/restrictions/market segmentation strategies used by companies the world over that aren't fair either.

If the program doesn't work for you, move on and find another one that's a better fit.
Zorak is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:29 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: GOT - SE
Programs: Marriott Titanium - LT Silver | AY Silver
Posts: 608
First Marriott removes the possibility of achieving triple nights for three rooms in 2018 and multiple rewarding events nights 10 x. Then on 2020-01-01 they remove the possibility of achieving 10 nights for 1 event/year.
They have previously added 15 nights on all Marriott Credit cards for US customers, even with that free credit card you get 15 nights lol.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ear...ard-rewards.mi
Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from Chase
Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year towards the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status. No Annual Fee.


Marriott is not making it easy for us non-US customers to stay in the program.
Amex Platinum is giving Hilton Gold as a benefit, that gives me breakfast. Plus I only need 30 stays or 60 nights to make it Hilton Diamond with free breakfast secured from start.
I hope Marriott will implement serious improvements in 2020 or 2021 or else they will run an american program only for a global hotel chain. Doesn't make much sense.
joakgarp is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:51 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,131
Marriott is now paying for years of easy non-BiB night earning in the US (CC annual, CC per $3K spend, rollover nights, promo nights, b-day nights, you name it) with a likely inflated base of LT status folks. They are now changing it for the next generation.
andrewstahl, JBord, 360guy and 3 others like this.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 8:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC - upper West Side
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Marriott is now paying for years of easy non-BiB night earning in the US (CC annual, CC per $3K spend, rollover nights, promo nights, b-day nights, you name it) with a likely inflated base of LT status folks. They are now changing it for the next generation.
And it's about time!
Newman
Newman is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:21 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston
Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Posts: 968
Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
First Marriott removes the possibility of achieving triple nights for three rooms in 2018 and multiple rewarding events nights 10 x. Then on 2020-01-01 they remove the possibility of achieving 10 nights for 1 event/year.
They have previously added 15 nights on all Marriott Credit cards for US customers, even with that free credit card you get 15 nights lol.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ear...ard-rewards.mi
Marriott Bonvoy Boldô Credit Card from Chase
Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year towards the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status. No Annual Fee.


Marriott is not making it easy for us non-US customers to stay in the program.
Amex Platinum is giving Hilton Gold as a benefit, that gives me breakfast. Plus I only need 30 stays or 60 nights to make it Hilton Diamond with free breakfast secured from start.
I hope Marriott will implement serious improvements in 2020 or 2021 or else they will run an american program only for a global hotel chain. Doesn't make much sense.
have fun at Hilton.
CraigerC likes this.
Collierkr is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:34 am
  #7  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,783
Hilton is the programme where US members get the most of a leg-up with Diamond status by credit card. Beyond that I think Marriott does feel by far the most US-focused and myopic about the rest of the world (being constantly offered US credit cards, only seeing US contact numbers, being referred to as an ďinternational memberĒ etc). The various nights from cards do make it a lot better to be a US member than a foreigner, but at least at the Ambassador level the spend requirement provides some form of level playing field (even though nights mean Iíd have met the requirement if I were a US resident). So definitely not fair, but it could be worse and itís pretty much up to them.

The only thing us internationals can hope for is for the US credit bubble to burst again as soon as possible and destroy the current credit card points system over that side of the Atlantic.
UA-NYC likes this.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SNA
Programs: M/R LT/TIT
Posts: 420
You were doing so well until your last sentence. Really, you can hope for U. S. credit bubble to burst again?
wanderingtraveler likes this.
jtp1947 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:57 am
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,783
Originally Posted by jtp1947 View Post
You were doing so well until your last sentence. Really, you can hope for U. S. credit bubble to burst again?
There is context here - this is what will stop the current issues for us internationals who use US hotel chains. Obviously there will be other massive issues when it happens.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 11:34 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
There is context here - this is what will stop the current issues for us internationals who use US hotel chains. Obviously there will be other massive issues when it happens.
How oblivious. Hoping for a US stock market collapse just to get even with credit card points. Pathetic.

Marriott sets the rules. I donít play with Marriott if I donít like it. I donít however hope for economic ruin for others.
SkyElite is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 11:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: GOT - SE
Programs: Marriott Titanium - LT Silver | AY Silver
Posts: 608
Obviously 50% of the posts of this thread is full of uptight LT members asking other non LT members to stay away from the Bonvoy program. Classic FT.
joakgarp is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 12:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,873
Originally Posted by Vince Chan View Post
If 10N for events ends 2020, I started to think is 15N for North America credit card only, fair?

For the new Marriott master card in UAE, only get5N credits per year, not to mention the rest of the world as some smaller wealthy country who might have strong contributions for per members but can never have a Marriott credit card such as Singapore or Hong Kong, is this even fair at all the North America can keep 35N a year for Plat while the rest of the world needs to spend 50N, and we get the exactly the same Platinum benefit with North America costume but we rest of world more difficult to keep status.

Is this even fair or Bonvoy a US only program??
Its definitely not fair.

But then again, Marriott is not a judge or referee that have to be fair.
They are business ... they exist to make money.

The reason US bank and Marriott willing to provide this because higher interchange fees allowed in the US

As long as Marriott making money out of credit card reward scheme, the CC night will continue.
EuropeanPete and Happy like this.
kaizen7 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 12:37 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: GOT - SE
Programs: Marriott Titanium - LT Silver | AY Silver
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
Its definitely not fair.

But then again, Marriott is not a judge or referee that have to be fair.
They are business ... they exist to make money.

The reason US bank and Marriott willing to provide this because higher interchange fees allowed in the US

As long as Marriott making money out of credit card reward scheme, the CC night will continue.
If the reason behind are due to intercharge fees why is there still a SPG Amex card in the UK?
https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...t-credit-card/
joakgarp is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 1:25 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 12,496
Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
Obviously 50% of the posts of this thread is full of uptight LT members asking other non LT members to stay away from the Bonvoy program. Classic FT.
For the record, I'm neither LT nor do I particularly care if people knock themselves out to attain status in programs that aren't a good fit for them.

Businesses decide what markets they want to compete in. That's not to say that other markets aren't competitive, or that customers in those markets can't be incentivized, but this is how they have decided to allocate their marketing budget in a way they think will produce the best return. It's entirely possible they're wrong too, but this is how business works and IMO hand-wringing about fairness is kinda missing the point.
Zorak is offline  
Old Dec 20, 19, 2:55 pm
  #15  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YUL
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
Posts: 143
Originally Posted by Vince Chan View Post
If 10N for events ends 2020, I started to think is 15N for North America credit card only, fair?

For the new Marriott master card in UAE, only get5N credits per year, not to mention the rest of the world as some smaller wealthy country who might have strong contributions for per members but can never have a Marriott credit card such as Singapore or Hong Kong, is this even fair at all the North America can keep 35N a year for Plat while the rest of the world needs to spend 50N, and we get the exactly the same Platinum benefit with North America costume but we rest of world more difficult to keep status.

Is this even fair or Bonvoy a US only program??
For some reason you are not getting how CC rewards work. I believe you have noticed that it is American CC that offers the most rewards, then comes Canada. UK / EU CC's used to provide great rewards but they don't now. Why ?

Because as a CC company regardless of whether the CC is independent or co-branded (Like Marriott Chase, or NBD marriott card) - the rewards can only be given based on the revenue generated. EU (Including UK) limits the interchange fee - this is same in many other countries (I am not sure about UAE) but I know for a fact that a lot of countries limit interchange fees. As a result the CC issuer doesn't generate enough revenue to justify the extended benefits. If the issuer dont make money - you get less benefits / rewards. It's as simple as that.

Also the rewards & benefit depends on the market and its demographics. The NBD WE MC (and almost all WE variants in middle east) provide QR Gold (which gives One-world Saphire) as a welcome benefit. No Mastercard WE in North America / rest of the world offer this benefit - so should I say Mastercard is a Middle East only program ?
jugaadkabaap is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: