Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mattress run - 1 night without staying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm one night off hitting Gold this year but won't be able to squeeze in a hotel visit before the end of the month. I know it's just Gold but I've only ever been able to hit Silver in the past.

I was wondering about the prospect of booking an inexpensive Cat 1 hotel for one night and using mobile check-in/check-out without actually staying? Unfortunately the hotels near me are way too expensive to justify it, so it would have to be somewhere cheap and not nearby.

Has anyone ever done this? What is the chance of this actually working if I don't physically show up at the hotel, but do a mobile check in?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You will be marked as no show and no stay/night credit.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

Some have reported that OLCI works, but YMMV.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Some have reported that OLCI works, but YMMV.
.......and those accounts could be audited in January with the "OLCI only" nights removed.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Remember award nights also count. Is there a nearby hotel that is a low category (e.g. small amount of points)? If there is you can just go check in and leave. You don't actually have to spend the night. That said Gold doesn't really get you much. Of course it is your personal decision on if it is worth it to you.

--Jon
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Worth it at least for the extra bonus points you get for each stay.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by nequine
Worth it at least for the extra bonus points you get for each stay.
Which aren't worth much, if you only stay 20-25 nights a year. Personally I wouldn't do a mattress run for Gold. Platinum is where it gets interesting.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Gold isn't worth the effort.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Remember award nights also count. Is there a nearby hotel that is a low category (e.g. small amount of points)? If there is you can just go check in and leave. You don't actually have to spend the night. That said Gold doesn't really get you much. Of course it is your personal decision on if it is worth it to you.

--Jon
this! have done it a few times and am about to do it again. Using points, i check in, go to the room, mess the sheets up and leave. I then on line check out the next day. Its silly, but its how the game is played.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ShinyO
do a mobile check in?
A mobile check in when you're required to stop by at the front desk to collect a keycard and/or present your ID is not likely to credit if you don't show in person. I don't think we've had a definitive answer yet about what happens if you do mobile check in and load the digital key to your app but then don't use it to activate the doorlock.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 19, 2019 at 4:50 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It’s really not worth it for Gold, unless perhaps you travel in Europe.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
I have called the front desk directly and explained the circumstances. They were happy to check me in and out over the phone and then essentially double sell the same room. YMMV, and it was a 4 Points by ORD where the front desk clerk was already familiar with the mattress run concept.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody here can tell you that at any given property, what you want to do will ultimately work. If it does not, it will be too late to fix.

Your profile does not show your location, but presuming that there is a property nearby, simply drive over, check into your room and then leave. No need to mess up the sheets or anything like that (unless you want to). There is no requirement that you sleep on the bed, run the hot water or whatever.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Ah ok. Not sure it's worth if it it's not likely to work. I was thinking of something like SpringHill Suites by Marriott Deadwood SD, where rooms can be had just before Christmas for ~$40. I'm nowhere near South Dakota though.

It would be nice to make gold for the extra points but there is only so much I'm willing to pay in an unused hotel night for that perk. The hotels where I'll be travelling are more like $150-$200 on the low end.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman

--Jon
I did this one...

ahotel a few blocks away.....I walked there check in got key
left hotel
went back next am to check out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.