Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best elite options in Phuket or Bangkok?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best elite options in Phuket or Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:31 am

I rarely like to hangout in lounges but Westin is an exception as their elite happy hour can be had at the lobby bar (lobby is a few levels up) and it has a nice outdoor balcony seating area with a view of the busy Sukhumvit street facing SGS
unclepants likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Thanks all, this is has been really helpful so far! I won't be traveling with children, so definitely no concern from me on that part, but appreciated to have a better sense of the areas - this will be my first time in Bangkok.

Any advice on Phuket? I haven't seen any properties that look particularly compelling to me - I need to be there for a work event for 3 days, considering skipping spending any additional time though and just going to Bangkok for longer.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by jewree
Thanks all, this is has been really helpful so far! I won't be traveling with children, so definitely no concern from me on that part, but appreciated to have a better sense of the areas - this will be my first time in Bangkok.

Any advice on Phuket? I haven't seen any properties that look particularly compelling to me - I need to be there for a work event for 3 days, considering skipping spending any additional time though and just going to Bangkok for longer.
Based on the advice above about how to avoid hookers in Bangkok, the equivalent advice in Phuket would be to never leave your resort

I’m not a huge Phuket fan in general and certainly not for any of the big chain hotels. The real attraction of Phuket (assuming you’re not into the aforementioned oldest trade) are the higher end resorts which are relatively good value in Phuket (e.g. Trisara). Obviously what Bangkok can’t get you is time on a beach.
Dr. HFH and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SHLTP
No sleaze? What are people smoking? I have no problem with BKK's nightlife and it certainly is not dangerous but if you don't want your kids seeing teenage hookers with usually much older men, you don't want to stay at Westin, SGS or JW where Street hookers are everywhere. I've stayed at the fat two with kids in tow & the kids were oblivious.

But if you don't want your kids to see that, then stay away from the areas the person outlined above. Patpong is a little hidden from LM but not really
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Nonsense? I think the nonsense is that kids can't tell a streethooker dolled up & standing on a street corner saying hi to every white man or Japanese/Korean dude that walks by from normal conservatively dressed Thai females.

I'm not sure where you live but seeing women and ladyboys in tight dresses with breast popping out and painted with massive amounts of make-up is not a normal sight for most kids.

If you don't want your kids to see that, then tourists shouldn't stay in those areas. And you are doing a disservice to the more conservative members here who might prefer Mandarin or Peninsula over a Marriott because one doesn't have hookers everywhere.

But JW, SGS, Westin it is impossible to shield
I wouldn't take kids to Pattaya, maybe. Presumably you wouldn't, either. But you think that Suk near Asok is as bad?
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bangkok is super crowded, trafficky, and polluted. Three or four days is always plenty for me. If you're going to Phuket, and like beaches, I think it's worth spending some time there. I'm not a big fan of any of the Marriott options though. The Ren and LM are probably the best of a fairly weak assortment.

If you are going to spend more time in Bangkok, you might split your time between the river (MO, Pen, Shangri-La) and either Ratchaprasong or Sukhumvit.
Duke787 and jewree like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I can only speak for BKK but for my stays I've only really done Athenee Hotel - Luxury Collection and it was a fantastic stay (multiple stays for more than 3/4 nights):
  • I loved the location its close station (Phloen Chit - 5 minutes walk) and its a quiet area
  • The lounge is fantastic and extensive (with a great breakfast option as well as a bar - for coffee/drinks)
  • Breakfast downstairs was great - multiple cuisine (e.g. Thai/Japanese/Chinese/Indian/Western)
  • Probably the only hotel where my YOUR24 request is almost always (~90%) guaranteed/upheld (even with a suite upgrade)
  • Upgraded very frequently and even given drink coupons/vouchers
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
I can’t speak as Bangkok expert, well 15 years ago maybe when work brought me there a number of times a year for weeks at a time I might have been but n longer.

I just spent, with my wife who'd never been to Asia, 7 nights at the SGS. It’s a superbly run hotel in a great location. Being directly connected to the BTS/ Skytrain at the lobby level which also mean being connected to the Terminal 21 mall and easy access to the Siam Square/ Siam Paragon/Siam center/ MBK is A huge plus. Also from terminal 21 side of Sukhumvit is a MRT/Subway stop with one change you’re at the new MRT stops near the Wat Pho and the Grand Palace. The Westin has similar access it’s just from ground level.

the free happy hour elite drinks in the SGS living room easily equal have a lounge. It’s also fresh squeezed juices and non- alcoholic drinks all day. The happy hour free drinks at the ground level restaurant also. The breakfast buffet in the Lobby level restaurant had a very wide selection plus you have the choice of an ordering breakfast in the Italian restaurant. The SGS doesn’t have the full food option of a lounge in the evening but this being Bangkok finding a good inexpensive meal is far from difficult.

getting upgraded to a suite might be more difficult at the SGS but the standard rooms are quite comfortable and as an elite you should get a butter room one the top few floors.

as far the professional women at SGS. Sure there were some older men with over dressed bored looking Thai women, none that appears to me to as young as working girls that I use to see at the JW back in the day. I was stunned every time we passed the changes in the Nana area the change in the area. I assume Nana Plaza is still tucked back in its soi but the area is remarkably different. The most working girls I saw were ones shopping at the basement level of the Terminal 21 mall.

Last edited by Ripley62; Dec 10, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
If you like nightlife at all or perhaps Latin dancing in Bangkok, consider going to Above Eleven at the top of Frazier Suites (further down Sukhumvit Soi 11 past the jog in the road) on Wed evenings (latin night). The Japanese/Peruvian food is delicious too. Go around hotel to the left to the far back for elevator to the top. Great view up there and ladies night for a couple drink specials. For cheap clean food, the 5th floor food court (all the way to the back) of Terminal 21 has a huge variety. My favorites are SomTom papaya salad, and lawb moo (pork), sticky rice at booth 1. Mango and sticky rice for desert. Enjoy your trip!

Edit: Forgot if you like just a bit of spice (full spice is crazy hot) when ordering som tom at many places you can say Mai sai Phed (no spice) it will still be spicy hot from the residual in the mixing vessel..
jewree likes this.

Last edited by kalo93406; Dec 11, 2019 at 1:37 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:17 pm

OP didn't mention this, and I have not been here yet, but would the Le Meridien Chiang Mai be an interesting alternative? I have read that you could walk out the door and be in the old walled city in minutes, which would hit one of OPs points of being able to walk places... It wouldn't be a beach, but a different feel from Bangkok with a night market right there also.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

I have been in Thailand for a significant amount of time this year (there now). In Bangkok I have had a number of stays at the Athenee, aloft and four points by Sheraton. Further afield I’ve stayed at LM in Chiang mai and Chiang rai twice, JW Khao Lak twice, and as for Phuket - the Renaisance, LM and Marriott at nai yang beach. All stays in the last year, some as recent as a month ago. So feel free if you have any specific questions about them.

As for the Phuket hotels, I would have to agree with other comments and say none of the ones I have stayed in are particularly memorable. However, I wouldn’t skip the place entirely to extend my time in Bangkok.

What time of year will you be there? This is significant in terms of both weather and smog!
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Lots of good hotels recommended, but wanted to point out that the OP didn't mention when she'd be in Bangkok, and also mentioned that she didn't mind walking everywhere. These are actually pretty important points for first time visitors.

OP - I'm a big walker as well. It's not uncommon for me to walk 5-10 miles in a day checking out a European city that's new to me. Bangkok is different. It's huge. Nothing is as close as it looks on a map. It's hot and humid. And it can be rainy depending on when you're going...and not a rain you want to walk too far in. I find myself taking public transportation regularly there.

While I think you'll probably be happy in any of the Bangkok Marriotts, I'd strongly suggest you stay near a BTS station (the skytrain). You can still walk if it's a nice day or you feel like it, but I think you'll appreciate having it at least a couple times during your stay. Really, any station is fine. The Renaissance, for example, is as close to a station as you can get. But preferably you'd be within a 5 to 10 minute walk. I've only stayed at 3 properties there, so I won't direct you toward a specific hotel. But worth considering as you look at hotels.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Was in Phuket back in 2016 -- we stayed at the Renaissance and like it quite a bit.

Back then Plat was highest and my award stay was upgraded to the pool villa suite which made for a nice 5 day stay with my now wife. No lounge but they did have a free alcoholic drink of the night every night at lobby bar and back then they offered 20% off F&B (and the F&B prices were pretty reasonable for a resort).

You could also walk or take a bike down to the little village that's closer to the JW and Marriott Vacation properties (though it was only good for buying a 6 pack of beer and diet coke for drinking in our pool).

Beach was nice (same stretch of beach as the JW, just down the road) and property was pretty empty (this was March) so it was a nice stay overall.

Haven't been back so can't comment on the other Marriott properties in Phuket
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Was in Phuket back in 2016 -- we stayed at the Renaissance and like it quite a bit.

Back then Plat was highest and my award stay was upgraded to the pool villa suite which made for a nice 5 day stay with my now wife. No lounge but they did have a free alcoholic drink of the night every night at lobby bar and back then they offered 20% off F&B (and the F&B prices were pretty reasonable for a resort).

You could also walk or take a bike down to the little village that's closer to the JW and Marriott Vacation properties (though it was only good for buying a 6 pack of beer and diet coke for drinking in our pool).

Beach was nice (same stretch of beach as the JW, just down the road) and property was pretty empty (this was March) so it was a nice stay overall.

Haven't been back so can't comment on the other Marriott properties in Phuket
To add a bit more info to this..

My personal positives of the renaissance-

Nice Beach and plenty of sun loungers spread out.
One of the best breakfast spreads I have encountered on Phuket.
The best hotel gym I have used possibly anywhere - I would be happy to pay a membership back home to use it.
Nice restaurant - Takieng
Nice option of walking into the little village for cheap local food (there is a bus service also)

Negatives -

Pool is too small for the size of the hotel (not relevant for OP).
Fairly limited upgrade options.
Most rooms have a view of the 'garden'.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
I'll be going end of January - early February - soon!

For Bangkok I'm mostly narrowed down to Athenee or SGS as the best well rounded experience (good morning and evening food & drink options, modern, but low suite upgrade chances), or St. Regis if I want to focus on service, best chance of suite upgrade, and excellent spa. I've heard people mention that there is no mango at Athenee - any chance you've noticed if that is/isn't the case?

For Phuket, I think I'm mostly looking at Marriott Nai Yang (generally gets decent reviews, looks modern enough, breakfast buffet looks great with fresh mango, but beach recedes away and that makes people grumpy?), Naka Phuket (kinda beautiful, lovely villas, but likely not really what I'm looking for ...), or Renaissance (fairly well rounded, again great breakfast with mango and ice cream, fitness center looks amazing, free bikes to get around, but hard product slightly less good than others I'm looking at ). You mentioned staying at Marriott Nai Yang Beach before - I thought I saw something about an elite cocktail hour, but now I can't find that. Do you recall anything like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.