Wiki Posts
Search

Earning on Flight & Hotel packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Earning on Flight & Hotel packages

I'm looking at hotel & flight packages on marriott.com and they're pricing within $5-10 of other booking channels. Is there a benefit to booking through Marriott? (other than it paying a commission to Marriott of course ) I have a Bonvoy Amex but I'm guessing it wouldn't earn at 5x level because the hotel is prepaid.

TIA

Shuttle
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by shuttlerider
I'm looking at hotel & flight packages on marriott.com and they're pricing within $5-10 of other booking channels. Is there a benefit to booking through Marriott? (other than it paying a commission to Marriott of course
When you book this way, you're actually booking through Expedia. From the Vacations by Marriott website FAQs:

Q: Am I booking this package directly with Marriott?

A: No. Vacations by Marriott has partnered with a third-party company (Expedia, Inc.) that specializes in bundling our great hotels with other travel components to create complete packages.
Source: https://www.vacationsbymarriott.com/faqs

So, aside from the fact the commission actually goes to Expedia, you also will have to deal with Expedia for any customer service issues with the flight. In doing that, you add an additional human being between you and the airline prior to your trip. (Any problems on the day of your flight due to IROPs should be handled directly by airline staff.) Although you might get a terrific Expedia agent should you need to deal with a flight issue, you also could get a lousy one.

Personally, I wouldn't book an airline through a third-party like Expedia unless I was saving a ton of money. (Everyone values money differently, but I wouldn't classify $5-10 as a ton of money.)

Originally Posted by shuttlerider
I have a Bonvoy Amex but I'm guessing it wouldn't earn at 5x level because the hotel is prepaid.
Doubtful. Again, from the FAQs (same link as above):

Q: What charges will appear on my credit card statement?

A: The charge for your Vacations by Marriott package will appear on your credit card statement as “EI VBMarriott.”. You will be charged at the time of booking for the entire cost of your package.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
When you book this way, you're actually booking through Expedia. From the Vacations by Marriott website FAQs:

Q: Am I booking this package directly with Marriott?

A: No. Vacations by Marriott has partnered with a third-party company (Expedia, Inc.) that specializes in bundling our great hotels with other travel components to create complete packages.
Source: https://www.vacationsbymarriott.com/faqs

So, aside from the fact the commission actually goes to Expedia, you also will have to deal with Expedia for any customer service issues with the flight. In doing that, you add an additional human being between you and the airline prior to your trip. (Any problems on the day of your flight due to IROPs should be handled directly by airline staff.) Although you might get a terrific Expedia agent should you need to deal with a flight issue, you also could get a lousy one.

Personally, I wouldn't book an airline through a third-party like Expedia unless I was saving a ton of money. (Everyone values money differently, but I wouldn't classify $5-10 as a ton of money.)

Doubtful. Again, from the FAQs (same link as above):

Q: What charges will appear on my credit card statement?

A: The charge for your Vacations by Marriott package will appear on your credit card statement as “EI VBMarriott.”. You will be charged at the time of booking for the entire cost of your package.

Thanks writerguyfl 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.