Are My Points Still Valid?

Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Million Miler but now only Silver DL, No status AA
Are My Points Still Valid?

I haven't earned or redeemed Marriott points for a long time. On my account it shows I have 53,000 points. However on my "Activity" page, it says my points expired on 3/30/2019. I made a reservation for a night next week using 35,000 points and my points balance now shows 18,000 points.

I called customer service just to make sure my points are valid and the representative told me that all looks good with my points and reservation. I told her what I see on the Activity page and she just said, "oh I see that too, but all should be ok and this redemption will reactivate your points anyway."

I just want to make sure that I won't have an issue at check-in where suddenly my points aren't valid and I'm forced to pay for the room at full rate. Can anyone confirm that my points are OK even though the activity page says they may be expired?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Nobody in this forum can confirm or deny this unless they work for Marriott or are the lurkers. I would only rely on the official source.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Deleted, duplicate

Deleted. Duplicate

Last edited by dimon84; Dec 6, 2019 at 1:17 pm Reason: Deleted, duplicate
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Marriott's IT is so horrendous ... it is probably fine sometimes their 3rd class IT solutions work in our favor
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Million Miler but now only Silver DL, No status AA
Originally Posted by dimon84
Nobody in this forum can confirm or deny this unless they work for Marriott or are the lurkers. I would only rely on the official source.

My only worry is that the "official source" is just an agent who may or may not be accurate. I agree that I "should" be ok and will raise hell if I'm not. But I will be super bummed if I show up and am told that my points aren't valid and they want to charge me full price for the room. Was just wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen or if it's a known policy that points actually stay valid for some period of time after "expiration?"
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will Starriott treat this like a points advance reservation?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Does your reservation show a cert attached to it? And if so, what is the expiration of that cert? Assuming it is past your stay date you should be OK.

You could do something to earn more points. If the points are added to your existing balance, maybe that will clear out the points expired note.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by BruiserB
I haven't earned or redeemed Marriott points for a long time. On my account it shows I have 53,000 points. However on my "Activity" page, it says my points expired on 3/30/2019. I made a reservation for a night next week using 35,000 points and my points balance now shows 18,000 points.

I called customer service just to make sure my points are valid and the representative told me that all looks good with my points and reservation. I told her what I see on the Activity page and she just said, "oh I see that too, but all should be ok and this redemption will reactivate your points anyway."

I just want to make sure that I won't have an issue at check-in where suddenly my points aren't valid and I'm forced to pay for the room at full rate. Can anyone confirm that my points are OK even though the activity page says they may be expired?
I have the exact same issue! Did you find out anything new since you last posted? I freaked out because I have 240,000 points that I accidentally let expire in October but it still shows the points available to use and I tried booking a room today and it went through and the points for the reservation were deducted from my balance. I too am concerned that when I show up in Barcelona they are going to tell me I need to pay for my room.

I just now bought 1,000 points for $12.50 to add to the account. I hope this will get rid of the points expired message I see when I log in.

I thought about booking the cheapest room here locally to see if the points are accepted before I go to Spain but I really don't want to waste points.

Last edited by sanvara; Dec 17, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Does your reservation show a cert attached to it? And if so, what is the expiration of that cert? Assuming it is past your stay date you should be OK.

You could do something to earn more points. If the points are added to your existing balance, maybe that will clear out the points expired note.
I have the same situation as the OP, my points "expired" due to no activity for 24 months but the points are still accessible and can be used for reservations. I just purchased 1,000 points to try to clear the points expired message and the 1000 points posted today but the message still appears "We're sorry but your points expired..." Yet when I try to redeem the points they successfully redeem. I made a reservation with the points and then cancelled it and transaction history shows:

12/17/2019

Rewards

Standard Redemption Rate

Redeemed -20,000 Rewards

12/17/2019

Rewards

Standard Redemption Rate

Refunded +20,000 Rewards

It wouldn't be refunding me points if they expired, right?

I then successfully redeemed more points for another reservation. I don't see a redemption certificate attached.

Last edited by sanvara; Dec 18, 2019 at 11:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.