Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott should charge for children entering the club lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott should charge for children entering the club lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Never had a problem with kids in the lounge, many times they are better behaved than the carry out members.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by stephem
Again, only true if you are an “upgrader”. If you reserve a room that includes club access, you get it for as many guests as the hotel permits you to register.

As i said before, i think this “no kids” movement is led by a bunch of upgraders who themselves have never actually paid for a room that includes club access and so don't understand that the kids they see in the lounge aren’t necessarily “freebies.” Either that or they are like the upgraders to first and business class on the airlines complaining about kids who have paid for first or business class tickets. Fly private is what i say there and I think with the lounge issue you will have no better luck on a chainwide basis getting such rules.
Fair enough. I see a lot of abuse of adults who invite the whole office to the lounge. Nonetheless. I understand what you are saying. I wish you great travels!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Again, only true if you are an “upgrader”. If you reserve a room that includes club access, you get it for as many guests as the hotel permits you to register.

As i said before, i think this “no kids” movement is led by a bunch of upgraders who themselves have never actually paid for a room that includes club access and so don't understand that the kids they see in the lounge aren’t necessarily “freebies.” Either that or they are like the upgraders to first and business class on the airlines complaining about kids who have paid for first or business class tickets. Fly private is what i say there and I think with the lounge issue you will have no better luck on a chainwide basis getting such rules.
Don't get your point derailing "upgraders". Doesn't really make a lot of sense to use this term. Those with Plat+ status have earned the lounge privilege by spending money just like you might spend to have a purchased lounge access room. Many times people who are upgraded to a lounge floor aren't even given access to the lounge if they don't have the right status. I like kids and don't mind them in the lounge. The rule seems to be clear it's status member plus one. Can't fault people for asking that the rules be followed. Unless children are being held, they are taking a chair just like anyone else. What's the difference between a child and a grandma who a couple might be traveling with?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by kalo93406
Don't get your point derailing "upgraders". Doesn't really make a lot of sense to use this term. Those with Plat+ status have earned the lounge privilege by spending money just like you might spend to have a purchased lounge access room.
Spending money on lowest-cost room, then throw a fit on why the hotel doesn't upgrade you to a suite, and then throw a fit when someone like me (and the poster) that have children in the lounge with us when we actually paid for a suite or club rooms for our whole family, at significantly higher cost than upgraders.

The rule seems to be clear it's status member plus one.
For upgraders with status, yes. But don't know what's their beef with people that have children that paid for it.

Can't fault people for asking that the rules be followed. Unless children are being held, they are taking a chair just like anyone else. What's the difference between a child and a grandma who a couple might be traveling with?
The difference is they are most likely paying the property to be there, rather than simply banking on status. The lounge attendants let them in, that is more than enough evidence that any and all rules are followed. No need to cry about it in the forum how their presence somehow demeans your enjoyment in the lounges, or be critical of how lounge attendants are doing their jobs.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by baqnav
titanium gets one guest; does not specify age normally. If you bring more than one guest you should be paying for that guest, otherwise YOU are stealing from Marriott unless you have approval from the property.
Their presence in the lounge, which is usually guarded by lounge attendants at the door, is prove enough they are there with approval from property. I don't know why there's an assumption that children somehow are snuck in by their parents. Nobody is stealing anything but entitled few that think children in their midst are an insult.

And also, maybe you and others never do it, but there are people like us that actually pay for the suite or Club rooms so our whole family can access the lounge.

You should respect Marriotts hard working associates as much as yourself: and your guests.
Absolutely, so do not insult Marriott lounge staff. When they let children in, that means they belong, period. No need to insult them by claiming children are in the lounge improperly.

Do not forget to tip the associates (few do) especially those of you who make your own rules all over the world or if you do not. I am becoming unconvinced again.
The only ones I see are "making your own rules" are the ones that wants to eradicate children in the lounges (or their presence in general). Marriott and its lounge staff are following the rules just fine.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:50 am

I really don't mind people spending less but getting more based on loyalty. This is why while I always paid for my C class seats, but I don't mind people getting upgraded to C class on the plane on a discounted Y ticket. However, you are correct, when they do, they act like some people are beneath them, such as children, and they are too good to sit with children. So my children that I paid C fares for don't belong, but those that pay discount Y think just because they have "status" they can complain about others. smh...
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I find most children in the lounge to be well-behaved and quiet. However, the same can't be said of obnoxious DYKWIA adults that cries and complains loudly, either to each other or the staff. If the lounge isn't quiet or peaceful, 99.9% of the time it isn't the children.
It looks like you have a lot problems with me, and I think you twisted my points. Did I ever said I am entitled to bring additional guest to lounge while others bringing kids have to pay? " do you ever complain about hotel being to nice to me", is this sentence ever making and sense at all related to charging at the executive lounge? Which is my base point I have made it clearly to be fair for all is , agree with the above response, only one additional guest are allowing free in the lounge . And you probably never had experience of waking up early in the morning having breakfast in the lounge just wishing a little private space while kids running in the lounge and yelling while parents and lounge staff doing nothing at all, I have no choice but leave very soon, Good job on bashing my post before you know anything at all!

FYI: All of the situation of bring 2 adults and 2 kids in the lounge here( which I refer to from my original post) in my city are those Plat and above ( which I know and they wrote blogger in the internet), they use free upgrade privileges just like everyone else and bring high school kids eat free and share about it on their blog, I never counter anyone booking an executive level without status, not from anyone that I know. Thus guest who reserving a club level room here is not the topic that I am talking about. THINK before you make judgement !

Last :I am sure you are buying C class and suite every time but we don't care about it nor about the veridicality , and all you ridiculus assumptions that elite members spends the least but trying the get the most , whether it is against me or others, I found this post being very rude and again base on nothing , maybe you can share with us how you find out our spending on Marriott before making conclusion for others.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Dec 1, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Try putting your phone down near the loudmouth where he can see it, and press the "RECORD" button.
I've always wanted to do this! There was a time in the BA F lounge at LHR (just setting the scene), where a guy was totally lambasting his admin about his travel schedule. I would rather have a video of this guy over one of a UFO. I would have been a Youtube thousand-aire...
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

FYI: All of the situation of bring 2 adults and 2 kids in the lounge here( which I refer to from my original post) in my city are those Plat and above ( which I know and they wrote blogger in the internet), they use free upgrade privileges just like everyone else and bring junior high school kids eat free and share about it on their blog, I never counter anyone booking an executive level without status, not from anyone that I know. Thus guest who reserving a club level room here is not the topic that I am talking about. THINK before you make judgement !

Let me make it Clear: lounge welcome kids or anyone, but only member plus one, additional charges, a lot hotel make it clearly that age 12 above have to pay for a full day access, but not everyone follows it, and sometimes hotel staff are just being too kind and make it exception, this was what I saw and knew. And I repeat again my point: My post are discussing under the case of Plat and above using free privilege of lounge access while bring more additional guest. Not discussing those without status and reserving a executive room/suite.

But. again , I doubt that hotel would allow as many guest to the lounge as you like just because you pay, since I too had the experience of paying for club level room myself gaining access at other hotels! Don't think that you are any better than upgraders just because you paid! I am glad I never feel that way!

And where do you get the accurate information and survey that plat and above( AKA upgraders as you refer) never pay for club access at any other hotel company? And I never feel paying is such a big deal, just pay it if you need it, but follow the rule and make the payment! A lot of hotel are just being too kind they did not strict applying charges in the lounge so some people who book an executive room or with status using it free thinking themself are smart but didn't know that the hotel staff are making exception for them. Thankfully there are some hotel are very strict about this ( such as Taipei Marriott) so giving us a more peaceful environment for all.

If by spending for 50 or 100 dollars paying for a club room are able to make you feel so much better than others , I can only wishing you the best! I have other better things to do.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Dec 1, 2019 at 11:04 am
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
A lot of hotel is just being too polite to elite members, I saw a lot of people, here in Taiwan( such a shame), one member bringing 2 kids to club lounge for " dinner" and take the lounge as a all you can eat buffet for his family.

While another member, bringing his third adult guest , must pay, is this making any sense? Just because it's children so one member can brining as many as he likes to the executive lounge without charging? Even his whole family?

I suggest Marriott properties should strictly charges for all third guest to the lounge, without any ages ! This is the only fair way to all members and bring us a peaceful lounge environment.
We were in Taiwan last year and did pay for the 3rd adult using the lounge ahead of time when we checked in. So what is your point here? However, my two toddlers didn’t run around in the lounge or be noisy or anything like that so what is the matter with ppl who have kids in the lounge??? How do you know if they paid or not???
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
You are making my point. How would you know? How are you so sure that me and my kids haven’t been in a lounge where you are having a mental hissy fit about the presence of kids?!?

I never counter anyone booking an executive level without status, not from anyone that I know.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:37 pm

This is like the people who think the concierge lounge is some kind of private country club. Get over yourselves!

I would much rather have kids in the lounge than the loud blow-hard, recently at the Houston airport Marriott, who had a loud business phone call, ON SPEAKER PHONE, for 45 minutes or more. What a CLOWN! Kids have way more respect than that!
nacho likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Spending money on lowest-cost room, then throw a fit on why the hotel doesn't upgrade you to a suite, and then throw a fit when someone like me (and the poster) that have children in the lounge with us when we actually paid for a suite or club rooms for our whole family, at significantly higher cost than upgraders.

For upgraders with status, yes. But don't know what's their beef with people that have children that paid for it.

The difference is they are most likely paying the property to be there, rather than simply banking on status. The lounge attendants let them in, that is more than enough evidence that any and all rules are followed. No need to cry about it in the forum how their presence somehow demeans your enjoyment in the lounges, or be critical of how lounge attendants are doing their jobs.
Your 3 replies all say the same thing. You paid for your lounge room. Everyone understands it. No one thinks you should not be entitled to lounge access with your family if you paid for it. You didn't really address my points at all.

Again, the term "Upgrader" is silly as VERY few people (likely zero in many properties) get lounge access from being upgraded.

Cheers. I'm out!
Happy likes this.

Last edited by kalo93406; Dec 1, 2019 at 3:16 pm
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cant people stop stereotype others?

There are poorly behaved adults as well as UNRULY kids. Both are problematic at a lounge and any other public areas.

There are elite members who are entitled to their elite benefits, so as guests who have bought the lounge access rooms - both have their OWN rights to use the facilities - Neither is superior than the other group.

I find it rude and disturbing from some posters who berated those who are entitled to access the lounge by their status, as if they are inferior than those who "pay their J seats, and their lounge access rooms.".

Who really care how much you pay? By the same token, how much the others pay is NONE of the business of strangers.

The main issue is, a lot of guests at the lounge are not well-behaved, both adults and kids. Kids while they themselves are less at fault, their parents definitely are. While many said they encountered rude adults, I have found encountering unruly kids are much harder to deal with then with an inconsiderate / rude adult. At least one can talk to the adult who most likely would become a bit apologetic, even just superficially. How do you reason with kids, or teenagers? And their parents obviously completely oblivious of their kids poor behaviors, or even encouraging such. I once went to ask a parent to rain in her kids because the running around of those kids were very dangerous - they almost bumped at other guests with drinks in hand, etc. Guess what the parent said? She rolled her eyes, Yes, rolled her eyes, and just said, "Kids would be kids." ... What do you do with this kind of parents? If you have not seen such, then you probably have not stayed in Asian hotels much.

For the records, similar situation once happened at the buffet restaurant on a cruise ship. I went to talk to the parents (2 mothers with 3 kids, from the you know where country). It turned out there were others who could not put up with such and reported to the purser's desk. The outcome? On the usual Noon Update from the Captain, for the first time in our cruise history, the Captain said in order to ensure Every Guest has an enjoyable vacation, parents must keep their kids well behaved etc etc. To close his public address, the Captain said, should the situation not improved, after being advised by ship's staff, the offending families would be told to leave the ship at the next port.

We never see bad behaving kids again on the rest of the cruise.

I honestly feel the hotels should take action in maintain orders at the lounge and all public areas.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It looks like we've battered this topic into submission. So closing this thread.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.