Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott should charge for children entering the club lounge

Marriott should charge for children entering the club lounge

Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Charging for kids doesn't make sense to me. It almost justifies bad behavior in a heck I paid for it mentality.

Having a 21 and over policy makes much more sense to me. That would certainly appeal to the vast majority of travelers (business travelers and travelers not with kids). Resorts could certainly carve out something if they chose to do so.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I always thought that all the occupants of a room that had lounge access associated with it had access. So a room that sleeps up to 4, provided access not for 4 in general but to the 4 actually staying in that room etc. Guest +1 only applies when access is granted via status, unless the elite is upgraded to a room that in itself also has lounge access.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:08 pm

Not a whole lot of adults with kids responding, so I'm going to pipe up. I'm one of those elite members who travels with kids and we use the lounge. We have been together in South Korea, Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Qatar and China. In nearly all cases I have had to shell out approximately $50 per kid per day for them to use the lounge. Sometimes it has been $35/kid/day and as much as $75/kid/day. I have contacted hotels in advance asking about their policies and if my kids can use the lounge gratis, but I have only been offered their rates so I am not too disappointed when I show up. Only twice, when I have been upgraded to a lounge-access room have I not had to pay. In those cases, they allowed my wife and one kid to stay in the club-lounge room and me and my other daughter to stay in the other. I was informed that this was the only way all of us could have club access because a member can only bring in one guest and a club-lounge room only allows two guests access. In my experience, this is the exception. Frankly, this is a LOT of extra money to pay for kids who do not drink alcohol and do not even eat that much. As far as I'm concerned, the entire premise of this thread is wrong: we do pay and the additional costs in some cases are as much as the room, especially in Asia. How about giving kids access to the lounge at half price since they don't drink alcohol and don't eat as much.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by gora14
Not a whole lot of adults with kids responding, so I'm going to pipe up. I'm one of those elite members who travels with kids and we use the lounge. We have been together in South Korea, Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Qatar and China. In nearly all cases I have had to shell out approximately $50 per kid per day for them to use the lounge. Sometimes it has been $35/kid/day and as much as $75/kid/day. I have contacted hotels in advance asking about their policies and if my kids can use the lounge gratis, but I have only been offered their rates so I am not too disappointed when I show up. Only twice, when I have been upgraded to a lounge-access room have I not had to pay. In those cases, they allowed my wife and one kid to stay in the club-lounge room and me and my other daughter to stay in the other. I was informed that this was the only way all of us could have club access because a member can only bring in one guest and a club-lounge room only allows two guests access. In my experience, this is the exception. Frankly, this is a LOT of extra money to pay for kids who do not drink alcohol and do not even eat that much. As far as I'm concerned, the entire premise of this thread is wrong: we do pay and the additional costs in some cases are as much as the room, especially in Asia. How about giving kids access to the lounge at half price since they don't drink alcohol and don't eat as much.
Every time I travelled with kids ( they are grown up now) Lounge access was granted at no charge. With the time that has elapsed that may have changed. Plus that was SPG, so never had the experience at Marriott.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Every time I travelled with kids ( they are grown up now) Lounge access was granted at no charge. With the time that has elapsed that may have changed. Plus that was SPG, so never had the experience at Marriott.
It was a whole 'nother ballgame a few years ago. Too many elites were reserving rooms for all their friends so that everyone could get lounge access. As a result, they went to a fairly strict policy of one elite plus one guest, didn't matter if you were staying with family or not. As a result, those staying with spouse and kids have to pay for the lounge. I fondly remember the good ol' days too.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by gora14
It was a whole 'nother ballgame a few years ago. Too many elites were reserving rooms for all their friends so that everyone could get lounge access. As a result, they went to a fairly strict policy of one elite plus one guest, didn't matter if you were staying with family or not. As a result, those staying with spouse and kids have to pay for the lounge. I fondly remember the good ol' days too.
I think Thailand and China have been charging kids for lounge access for years, and I have no idea about Japan but I guess it's the same since the hotel policy is more counting heads than rooms. I was lucky in Shanghai we booked 2 rooms and they did give kids #3 lounge access (he was 6 at that time so that might be the reason as China see kids as under 6). I was able to get lounge access for all of us in Malaysia, as long as the kids are under 12 (if they are staying in the same room as us), when we booked 2 rooms the hotel extended the lounge access to kid #3 without charge.

My kids don't each much, you put them in a grant buffet breakfast they take a bowl of cereal or yogurt or a toast and a glass of juice (unless they have ramen), if you put them in Fairfield/Springhill they take a bowl of cereal or yogurt or a toast and a glass of juice. During lounge hours, they often can't find anything they want to eat anyway - whether it's a luxury lounge or a US lounge, and most lounges don't even have juice/milk during happy hours. How much would that cost the hotel? Maybe $5 max per kid per day (I'm sure hotels know the cost) - my kids would take cup noodles or local food or $5 hot and ready pizza over lounge food.

I think the +1 policy is to let hotels decide on how they implement the policy. If a hotel takes good care of us I'll definitely return even if they are more expensive than their competitors.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:48 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
No but it reduces the amount of badly behaved kids/ adults. I really feel strongly that rules should be member plus 1 whether it be adult or child. It is the big groups that often cause the mayhem. Lounges are way too crowded like airline lounges and restrictions should be strictly enforced.
Silver Fox and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Ill leave the silly comments about kids alone, except to say mine are sitting quietly in the Marriott Sky City lounge now while a bunch of loud men shout at each other, making each other table of men shout louder and louder. Its hilarious.

As for one guest, hah, I love the arm chair revenue management around here. I have a suite with 5 occupancy allowed. Ive never had a property seek to limit us in this manner and doubt they would if you complained. Your assumption that these kids are somehow freebies coming in on a parents upgrade to a Club room suggests youve never bought a suite or Club level room before in your life, where this is an advertised benefit and not something Marriott is going to take away because some upgrader is annoyed.
Fizzer and soy like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Charging for kids doesn't make sense to me. It almost justifies bad behavior in a heck I paid for it mentality.

Having a 21 and over policy makes much more sense to me. That would certainly appeal to the vast majority of travelers (business travelers and travelers not with kids). Resorts could certainly carve out something if they chose to do so.
So where has this discussion degenerated to? Premise: Children are misbehaving! Fact: Adults misbehaved much more and in some cases much worse. Premise: it's not fair children get in for free! Fact: it's accepted industry practice that makes sense both financially and goodwill. So now this: "I am entitled adult that simply don't want kids around". Ok, that's your prerogative to suggest to hotel properties and day dream for the time this becomes true, but then just say that, don't accuse kids of something they are 1) not generally true, and 2) pretend you're doing all of us a favor.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
Ill leave the silly comments about kids alone, except to say mine are sitting quietly in the Marriott Sky City lounge now while a bunch of loud men shout at each other, making each other table of men shout louder and louder. Its hilarious.

As for one guest, hah, I love the arm chair revenue management around here. I have a suite with 5 occupancy allowed. Ive never had a property seek to limit us in this manner and doubt they would if you complained. Your assumption that these kids are somehow freebies coming in on a parents upgrade to a Club room suggests youve never bought a suite or Club level room before in your life, where this is an advertised benefit and not something Marriott is going to take away because some upgrader is annoyed.
No worries. Now that they have realized how silly their arguments are, the new argument in this thread is now "lounge should be for people age 21 or above". Yes, no more children but adults shouting, laughing out loud, treating lounge as their frat party space, open conference meeting with no attempt to lower the voice volume. Yes, that sure revolutionary ensure hotel lounges as a place to relax and have comfort.
muji likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fdem
No but it reduces the amount of badly behaved kids/ adults. I really feel strongly that rules should be member plus 1 whether it be adult or child. It is the big groups that often cause the mayhem. Lounges are way too crowded like airline lounges and restrictions should be strictly enforced.
Yeah - try telling Marriott to order their hotels not to sell lounge access to non-member or members without status.

Originally Posted by stephem

When I was there with my kids there was a group of 12 half drunk people talking really loud and took the wine by the bottle, my kids were looking at them and said they are so noisy.

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
So where has this discussion degenerated to? Premise: Children are misbehaving! Fact: Adults misbehaved much more and in some cases much worse. Premise: it's not fair children get in for free! Fact: it's accepted industry practice that makes sense both financially and goodwill. So now this: "I am entitled adult that simply don't want kids around". Ok, that's your prerogative to suggest to hotel properties and day dream for the time this becomes true, but then just say that, don't accuse kids of something they are 1) not generally true, and 2) pretend you're doing all of us a favor.
Yes I have seen more misbehaving adults than kids - drunk men, drunk women, half drunk really noisy groups, bloggers try to do a tour of the lounge, someone talking loud on the mobile while walking around the lounge...... I have seen misbehaving kids too but they are at most like the misbehaving adults.

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
No worries. Now that they have realized how silly their arguments are, the new argument in this thread is now "lounge should be for people age 21 or above". Yes, no more children but adults shouting, laughing out loud, treating lounge as their frat party space, open conference meeting with no attempt to lower the voice volume. Yes, that sure revolutionary ensure hotel lounges as a place to relax and have comfort.
Maybe they want to turn the lounge into a open conference during day time and then pre-party place during happy hours where they can get free booze to lower the cost, or even end up having a party in the lounge - since most of them have a TV so we might see cheers during football match etc. (seen that in a lounge too). The lounge will turn into a bazaar and then some people will complain again.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:11 pm

I've never minded the kids. I've found them all well behaved. Seriously, in all my years as platinum and titanium, I've never encountered a rude or loud kid. More often than not, they're shy or scared to draw any attention to themselves. I'm probably lucky as I'm sure they exist, but I think it's rare. I've not minded the groups of people drinking and enjoying themselves. Sometimes they get a bit loud, but I've never found them obnoxiously so. I've always found them friendly and I've even joined them and enjoyed their company on lonely business trips. I've always been welcomed in their groups. The only issues I've had are elite members who have not treated the staff well, complained about the noodles being overcooked or demanded extra attention because, well, they're entitled to it. Perhaps we should restrict access and NOT allow elites lounge access.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:47 pm

If kids are such a bother just grab a bunch of stuff and head back to your room. Then you can have a private lounge. ^
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
titanium gets one guest; does not specify age normally. If you bring more than one guest you should be paying for that guest, otherwise YOU are stealing from Marriott unless you have approval from the property. You should respect Marriotts hard working associates as much as yourself: and your guests. Do not forget to tip the hard working associates (few do)!

Last edited by baqnav; Dec 1, 2019 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by baqnav
titanium gets one guest; does not specify age normally. If you bring more than one guest you should be paying for that guest, otherwise YOU are stealing from Marriott unless you have approval from the property. You should respect Marriotts hard working associates as much as yourself: and your guests. Do not forget to tip the associates (few do) especially those of you who make your own rules all over the world or if you do not. I am becoming unconvinced again.
Again, only true if you are an upgrader. If you reserve a room that includes club access, you get it for as many guests as the hotel permits you to register.

As i said before, i think this no kids movement is led by a bunch of upgraders who themselves have never actually paid for a room that includes club access and so don't understand that the kids they see in the lounge arent necessarily freebies. Either that or they are like the upgraders to first and business class on the airlines complaining about kids who have paid for first or business class tickets. Fly private is what i say there and I think with the lounge issue you will have no better luck on a chainwide basis getting such rules.
Fizzer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.