Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bonvoy Platinum Status Challenge = Bali Fairfield

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Just wondering if someone with experience can help me with this. I am looking into doing the 16 night Bonvoy Platinum status challenge. I will be in Bali soon and looks like there are some hotels that have rates for ~$40 / night. At that rate times 16 nights it should cost about $650 to get Bonvoy Platinum. I will only be there for a couple of those nights, but figure I can just pay beforehand and will be credited everything when the reservation ends. Anyone see any issues with this idea? Anything I need to watch out for?

BTW, I really want Platinum status as I will be staying for 8 nights at a JW Marriott soon and want the breakfast. By the time I pay for the Breakfast in cash it's roughly the same cost as the 16 nights in Bali.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in all likelihood they will check you out early if you are not staying there beyond the couple of days you mentioned....

if they see the room unused for more than a day or so then it will raise a red flag....
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I remember having to check out in person when I left a Starwood on Bali despite having of course given a credit card at check in. I don't know whether this is a Bali/Indonesia law or common practice, but OP should consider that it might not be easy to sneak out after a couple nights.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I believe its just common in Indonesia as I have to check out in person for my stays at Indonesian hotels.
The FD claims that they can't process the payment if the credit card not present. Although I believe they just want to play safe and prevent chargebacks and fraud.

If OP willing to take risk, he might book the entire 16 nights required and then inform the FD that he need to leave early, finalise all the charges including the future one so you could check out using the apps, and ask the FD to apply credit for all the nights.
It might works or might not.

I did before when I have to depart 1 day earlier and did manage to get all the nights and points. No idea if this will works if involved 10 or more unused nights

Last edited by kaizen7; Nov 24, 2019 at 9:11 am
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I believe its just common in Indonesia as I have to check out in person for my stays at Indonesian hotels.
The FD claims that they can't process the payment if the credit card not present. Although I believe they just want to play safe and prevent chargebacks and fraud.

If OP willing to take risk, he might book the entire 16 nights required and then inform the FD that he need to leave early, finalise all the charges including the future one so you could check out using the apps, and ask the FD to apply credit for all the nights.
It might works or might not.

I did before when I have to depart 1 day earlier and did manage to get all the nights and points. No idea if this will works if involved 10 or more unused nights
Zero chance of that working as stated. You won’t get credit for nights not present that the hotel knows about.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
1-4 nights maybe 16 nights no chance. Someone will want to service the room or check everything is ok.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I hear the feedback.

Is there a part of the T&C's that say you must stay there to get the night credit? I figure if it's a prepaid reservation, then I will have paid for all the nights.

Probably not worth the risk, I wish I had thought of that a bit earlier in the year I could have pulled it off legitimately.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SCtrojan
Is there a part of the T&C's that say you must stay there to get the night credit? I figure if it's a prepaid reservation, then I will have paid for all the nights.
that's not the way it works....if this were true then people doing challenges or mattress runs would just look for the cheapest properties around the world & make a prepaid reservation....you have to stay to get the night credit....
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
that's not the way it works....if this were true then people doing challenges or mattress runs would just look for the cheapest properties around the world & make a prepaid reservation....you have to stay to get the night credit....
Just to be clear I would check in physically. I figured if I went there, checked in physically, paid for all 16 nights, why do they care whether or not I was sleeping in their hotel? Heck, they should love me as they can save money on the maid =) .

I understand if it's not the way things work, that's actually why I asked in the first place. My real "d'Oh" moment was I had a business trip for 6 nights earlier in the month and one for 2 nights the month prior. Had I thought ahead I could have gotten 8 nights from work then just done 4-5 nights here (checked in and out physically) and maybe another few nights on another trip. Oh well, I guess I'm paying for breakfast at the JW =(
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear I would check in physically. I figured if I went there, checked in physically, paid for all 16 nights, why do they care whether or not I was sleeping in their hotel? Heck, they should love me as they can save money on the maid =) .
i get that....but unfortunately it still won't work....
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You need to be physically there for the entire stay to get the elite night credit. Otherwise, they will open up the rewards program to a huge loophole that people will exploit and cause the rewards program to completely break down. Hotel owners at other locations are not going to want a bunch of new platinum guests who haven’t completed an elite challenge properly.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Read the applicable parts of the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions:

2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A "Stay" or "Qualifying Stay" means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which the room is billed to the Member.

There's more language defining "Stay" and "Qualifying Stay" but the key point is that the member must personally pay for the room and stay in it.

Of course, you could try it. You would not be doing anything illegal. But then don't be surprised if the hotel checks you out after a night or two after housekeeping reports that you have vacated your room -- and you only get one or two elite qualifying nights.

If you paid but you didn't stay, you will be unable to make a winning case to Marriott Bonvoy that you're entitled to elite qualifying nights.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 26, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
1-4 nights maybe 16 nights no chance. Someone will want to service the room or check everything is ok.
Agree with this .... for 1-2 or even 3 ... 4 maybe a bit pushing it .... hotel might just ignore it and apply credit as usual
For 10 nights .... unless you are very lucky and manage to get very cooperative FD along with their supervisor then I don't think it will work
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Platinium Elite, HHonors Diamond
I ve done similar thing at HIX Bali for 4 nights.. prepaid rate, payment up-front. No question asked.. Credits nights posted few days later.
Maybe 16 nights are a bit too much. But with their friendship and positive mood just try to save you need place to store your things as you do some hiking around..
I dont like too much house-keeping during short stays, so few nights with DND signs wont rise a flag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.