Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The problem of the Marriott renovations - especially the new showers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The problem of the Marriott renovations - especially the new showers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:01 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I haven't encountered these yet, but I will blacklist a hotel from me ever going again if the washroom makes me feel put out or inconvenienced.

Bathtub showers are an example of this. I don't want to shower in a bathtub, and so even seeing those when I preview a property is a hard pass for me.

Water pressure is another thing that is important. I get hotels want to be eco friendly, but I want the water pressure to feel like I am in a shower, not getting drizzled on.

I am 6"4, so anything that makes me feel uncomfortable due to my height is another thing I'll take a hard pass on the hotel. Those shower heads looking like they would smack into my head - I'll pass.

Thanks for sharing the information.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Regardless, I doubt Marriott takes into account people 6' 4" which comprises 1% of the population of US men
every other “marginalized” fringe group comprised of a vanishingly small % of the population cries about being discriminated against, why not us? TALL RIGHTS NOW!

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Nov 21, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:00 pm

I am only 6' and frequently stay at hotel and find the shower heads too low. It is frustrating.

I also hate a "rain" shower that only drips water at low pressure from above. It is hard to truly be clean with zero water coming from the side. Sadly, this type of shower is viewed to be "high end" by hotels. A rain shower with additional heads/jets on the side(s) is OK.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
I will just leave this here:

I think this adequately expresses the OP issues. A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Soon i ll need a larger travel toiletry bag to accomodate a showerhead and a wrench...
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:29 pm

I quite like the new showers.

Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I will just leave this here:

I think this adequately expresses the OP issues. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Except it doesn't explain the issue because that is a non-rain shower shower head.

The height isn't inherently the issue. Both hotels had old shower heads at about the same height as the new ones. The old ones were fine. The difference is that the old ones were traditional showerheads (pressure at the source) as opposed to rainfall showerheads (no pressure at the source).

"Bending over" to get under the showerhead - something I am quite used to - does not fix the problem anymore.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by STS-134
In traffic engineering, the 85th percentile speed is used to set speed limits.

That said, can't you solve this problem by just squatting down when you wash your hair? Or is there not even enough room in the shower for that?
That's a completely irrelevant fact covering an entirely different engineering domain that involves safety. While not universal, 5th to 95th percentile design is the default standard for ergonomics design. Incidentally there are specific safety guidelines from the NHTSA that specify that certain safety elements (such as airbags and seatbelts) must be suited for the middle 90th percentile (i.e., 5th to 95th percentile) of the adult population with minimal loss of efficacy.

The issue isn't just getting under the showerhead. Many legacy Marriotts have showerheads (unfortunately) at only 6' or so. While not ideal, this is tolerable because they don't rely on height to create pressure. The new showerheads DO. In order to feel like you're taking a shower, it isn't ducking 5 inches down - you have to duck down over a foot.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The lack of functional desks and closets is a bigger problem for me. I don't mind the new showers at all.

The addition of a shower wand is a big plus as well.
I don't mind the closets or desks (rarely stay more than 3 nights and only require a laptop for work) and agree on the shower. I like them and no issues with water pressure in the few I've used. Liked the wand.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal
That's a completely irrelevant fact covering an entirely different engineering domain that involves safety. While not universal, 5th to 95th percentile design is the default standard for ergonomics design. Incidentally there are specific safety guidelines from the NHTSA that specify that certain safety elements (such as airbags and seatbelts) must be suited for the middle 90th percentile (i.e., 5th to 95th percentile) of the adult population with minimal loss of efficacy.

The issue isn't just getting under the showerhead. Many legacy Marriotts have showerheads (unfortunately) at only 6' or so. While not ideal, this is tolerable because they don't rely on height to create pressure. The new showerheads DO. In order to feel like you're taking a shower, it isn't ducking 5 inches down - you have to duck down over a foot.
You know how some showers are right next to a window? If you're really tall, you might have to squat down anyway, otherwise when you wash your hair, water will splash onto the window sill. And yes in this case, it does mean ducking down over a foot.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - Ambassador; AS - MVP Gold
I’m currently in my room at the Santa Clara Marriott...

I agree that in most rooms at this hotel the shower heads are far too low (Less than 6 feet), but I do appreciate the recent renovations as previously this hotel was a complete dump.

That being said, all of the suites located on the top floor of the Santa Clara marriott have substantially taller shower heads. I’m currently in one of the suites and the shower head is at least 12 inches (if not more) taller than the normal rooms. The top floors at this hotel don’t have the same bathroom ceiling height problems as the lower floors.

Additionally, a couple nights ago I was at a brand new Fairfield (first time staying at that brand and pleasantly surprised). The hotel was only opened 3 months ago and had fantastic showers. The shower head must have been 7 1/2 feet up in a nice large walk-in shower.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just because this particular issue doesn't apply to you does not mean that the OP's complaint is petty or silly. He has presented a thorough and intelligent description of a really annoying problem.

There's no call for the snide remarks.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
I’ve learned more than I ever thought I would about shower heads. Thank you to OP for the lesson.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I encountered these for the first time in a JW Marriott stay last week. I found them subpar. The first time I went to use it, the hand unit blew out of its cradle from the force of the water. Turns out it wasn't so much water pressure, just a broken or ill-fitting cradle. I kept looking for a setting on the diverter to increase the pressure out of the main showerhead. Now I know why I could not find one!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Just because this particular issue doesn't apply to you does not mean that the OP's complaint is petty or silly. He has presented a thorough and intelligent description of a really annoying problem.

There's no call for the snide remarks.
Nah, actually the fact that he went on a long, table-pounding rant in which he directly compared the height of hotel showerheads to a family of diseases that claims the lives of millions of people each year, often in horrible, agonizing manners, made him sound like an entitled, soulless jerk.
Old Hickory likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.