Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The problem of the Marriott renovations - especially the new showers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The problem of the Marriott renovations - especially the new showers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BearX220
Headlines and "outrages" like this make it all too easy for the normal world of well-adjusted, level-headed travelers to mock FT.
You're right, it's completely unreasonable to expect that Marriott would have followed basic design specs for shower installation.

I'm pretty easy going. Put me in a low floor room, put me next to the elevator, oops, no kings available despite the fact I booked a king? Two queens is fine.

But waking up and having a terrible shower - because of absolute design incompetence - is something I'm not going to just gloss over. I realize that not everyone cares about a good shower as much as I do, but I don't feel like it is unreasonable to have a shower installed to standard design spec. If they can't install it right, put in a regular (non-rain shower) showerhead instead.

I shouldn't have to be disassembling the shower head in order to take a shower.

I've gotten used to mediocre hotel showers. ,8 GPM Alofts are pretty bad, for example. But these are just next-level awful. As another poster said, it feels more like someone is drooling over you than an actual shower. And it's not because of the flow rate - it is because of the design.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I can't recall if I've experienced one of the "new, renovated" showers yet. But there's one thing that's important, water pressure. If the shower head (of any type) doesn't deliver it, then get one that does. As someone who has very thick hair, low water pressure doesn't work for me. It takes me a LONG time to rinse shampoo if the water pressure isn't at least average. To that end, I'd trade a desk or most other room amenities to switch out a bad shower.
cawhite likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JBord
I can't recall if I've experienced one of the "new, renovated" showers yet. But there's one thing that's important, water pressure. If the shower head (of any type) doesn't deliver it, then get one that does. As someone who has very thick hair, low water pressure doesn't work for me. It takes me a LONG time to rinse shampoo if the water pressure isn't at least average. To that end, I'd trade a desk or most other room amenities to switch out a bad shower.
With a lot of these "eco" showerheads, I wonder if they wind up saving much water at all when it takes so much longer to shower.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Agree on the shower, my pet peeve is how few hotels have baths, but I guess that should be for another rant thread, LOL
And are getting ripped out in favor of these walk in shower only units in any renovations. I just wish hotels' websites were clear when they don't have tubs in the bath.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by harold
This whole thread is a joke, right?
Showerhead cancer is as serious as a heart attack.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by harold
This whole thread is a joke, right?
Tyrion?
harold likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by JBord
These showerheads are intentionally designed not to have significant water pressure. They essentially come out of the showerhead at close to 0 pressure (maybe a few PSI). They set the flow rate such that the water will coalesce into water droplets. These water droplets (because of surface tension) have a higher weight to surface ratio and, so as they fall, they pick up speed. When they finally hit you, the combined mass of the larger droplet with the speed from gravity (F=MA) creates a sensation of pressure with each droplet. At higher velocities (in a typical showerhead), the water does not form droplets as effectively because they get mixed in with air.

This only works, however, if there is enough space between the shower head and the person showering. A rain shower shower head - unlike a traditional shower head which focuses pressure at the source - does not functionally work if it is below your head. You can't just "bend over" right under the showerhead to wash your hair and face like you can with a regular showerhead. The water just sort of drools over you as another poster pointed out.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Cancer is an awful word to use in a thread title when that word has significant meaning for so many people.

Regardless, I doubt Marriott takes into account people 6' 4" which comprises 1% of the population of US men
Agreed, terrible analogy. Mods, please change
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Cancer? Poor choice of words, Amigo.
BearX220 and nequine like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The thread title perhaps leans towards sensationalist, but I find the argument to be well-made. In general I think this is a case where so-called "designers" are attempting to create a certain look without taking into account functionality.

I find it personally annoying that many hotel bathrooms don't have enough towel racks. I also find Marriott's insistence on removing desks troublesome but I still try to stick to traditional SPG properties as much as I can.

On the whole though, I think hotel managers should be more careful when renovating properties and take functionality into account. The average person won't know about the subtleties of shower heads that were laid out in the OP's post, but building experts should be consulted before designers are given carte blanche and I would go so far as to say that usability experts should also be consulted before builders do their thing.
Temedar, rickg523 and catawba like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
In traffic engineering, the 85th percentile speed is used to set speed limits.

That said, can't you solve this problem by just squatting down when you wash your hair? Or is there not even enough room in the shower for that?
BearX220, closecover and nequine like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I have solved the problem by taking the “office desk” chair into the shower

i am 6 foot tall so it I sit on the chair to wash my hair the water droplets reach close to terminal velocity in the free fall

the chair is useless with the 14” workspace so if you combine 2 bad ideas you get a super comfortable shower

if staying longer than one night you will need to request a dry chair each day

��
EuropeanPete, catawba and nmpls like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

You lost me in the title.

Anyone that uses the word "cancer" to describe an inadequate shower in a hotel in what might occupy 10 minutes of your time in a overnight stay..... does not merit a read of your rant. Shame on you.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
With a lot of these "eco" showerheads, I wonder if they wind up saving much water at all when it takes so much longer to shower.
I assume it varies by person. For me, a low pressure shower head means my shower will likely last twice as long. I can see how for others it wouldn't matter as much.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Shower wands >>> those crap little fixed over head showerheads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.