Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disgusted with fellow Platinum Elites in Sydney

Old Nov 18, 19, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

So not too long ago, I stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay. I am sitting in the executive lounge enjoying a few beers because I was too tired to go out and eat dinner after a long flight. I sat there for a little over an hour and watch fellow platinum members come in and out. Each wave of "guests" comes in, hits the buffet and drink fridges, creates piles and piles of dirty dishes then proceed to walk out after they are done.

I must have seen at least 40 or so people come in and out while I was there and I didn't witness a single person leave any kind of gratuity for the staff. Some of the people in there were wearing Rolex watches and most were older white (and fat) Americans guzzling down the food and beverage. Honestly, I felt totally disgusted with these pampered elitist babies whining when the soup ran out or their drink didn't come fast enough.

There was a poor worker named Joaquin who kept hustling back and worth collecting dirty dishes, taking them to the back, bringing out special order drinks then working to refill the buffet then walking back around to collect more dishes. Before I left, I called him over, asked his name and told him he was the hardest working guy I've seen in a long time and handed him a $10 bill.

I wish Marriott would setup a tip jar in each of these lounges or at least post a sign that read, "Tips not required but appreciated."
I also wish these platinum elites that are getting FREE food and beverage (including alcohol) would stop being such embarrassing cheap skates!
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by MrBizFlyer View Post
So not too long ago, I stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay. I am sitting in the executive lounge enjoying a few beers because I was too tired to go out and eat dinner after a long flight. I sat there for a little over an hour and watch fellow platinum members come in and out. Each wave of "guests" comes in, hits the buffet and drink fridges, creates piles and piles of dirty dishes then proceed to walk out after they are done.

I must have seen at least 40 or so people come in and out while I was there and I didn't witness a single person leave any kind of gratuity for the staff. Some of the people in there were wearing Rolex watches and most were older white (and fat) Americans guzzling down the food and beverage. Honestly, I felt totally disgusted with these pampered elitist babies whining when the soup ran out or their drink didn't come fast enough.

There was a poor worker named Joaquin who kept hustling back and worth collecting dirty dishes, taking them to the back, bringing out special order drinks then working to refill the buffet then walking back around to collect more dishes. Before I left, I called him over, asked his name and told him he was the hardest working guy I've seen in a long time and handed him a $10 bill.

I wish Marriott would setup a tip jar in each of these lounges or at least post a sign that read, "Tips not required but appreciated."
I also wish these platinum elites that are getting FREE food and beverage (including alcohol) would stop being such embarrassing cheap skates!
I wish that we could be able to respect local culture, including tipping culture.
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Australia has less of a tipping "culture" than the USA. The people you saw might have been trying to follow what they understood to be local custom.
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Premier Silver

You are aware that Marriott sells executive/club level rooms with access to the lounge right? So for many people it's not free food and beverage, it's something they've paid a premium over the normal room rate to access. Not everyone in a lounge is a platinum member.
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
“Disgusted” is a very strong word to describe people following local custom. Most of the rest of the world very strongly rejects US tipping culture for what they consider to be a number of very good reasons.
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
So Joaquin was doing his job that he was being paid for, and we're supposed to feel sorry for him?
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's get this clear -

1) The wages in Australia are quite high - service industry employees dont rely on tips to make up with their income.

2) Australia (and New Zealand and Japan, just to name a few in the Pacific region), do NOT have a tipping culture because of 1). In Japan giving a tip is considered an insult. In Hong Kong far more often than not, a 10% is included in hotel and restaurant bills. It is called service charge. Nobody expects extra in normal course of doing business.

3) As nexusCFX points out - being elite is not the only way to have lounge access. You can book a room with club access if you dont have complementary access. The "Platinum babies" you saw, probably paid for their access instead of being elites.

Next time may be the OP should first understand the custom of the country visited, before criticize how others behave.
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:02 pm

platinum elites that are getting FREE food and beverage
I'm not actually going to take the bait on your post overall, but will latch onto this part. Anyone who does any price benchmarking of chain hotels versus independent properties of similar caliber in any major city will know that the chains have "done got us good". The "loyalty" habit is a tough one to kick, and they're extracting a pretty premium from us, then getting us on the other end to think that we're making out with "free" perks. It's a beautifully-applied bit of consumer psychology that even raw, hard data can't convince us to walk away from. It's all baked into the business model and they have us exactly where they want us.

Now to the original point, how, and on what grounds, the revenue is distributed, well, that's where I bow out and don't care to get into all of the expected arguments.
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold
How about we close all the lounges and then a thing of the past?
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
I am an American, and would describe myself as a generous tipper.

that said, I respect the local culture when it comes to gratuities.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:15 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
My SO and I were in Sydney a few months ago. We understood the tipping culture but still usually leave something extra (not a lot, but it's still a hard habit to break for us). I was actually surprised how many times in Sydney it just wasn't an option. Hospitality workers just skipping over tip screen on POS systems, or they were programmed without them, giving us receipts without tip lines, etc. We still usually left a couple of dollars most times and a few extra where we'd received amazing service. At no time did it ever seem expected, anticipated, etc. and that includes tourist heavy places, western hotels including the Pier One, and a lot of restaurants in The Rocks.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:23 pm
kkl

It is Australia. Tipping is not expected nor needed.

They are on $20-25 an hour. Weekends more
mhy, nancypants, Mitglied and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpw81 View Post
My SO and I were in Sydney a few months ago. We understood the tipping culture but still usually leave something extra (not a lot, but it's still a hard habit to break for us). I was actually surprised how many times in Sydney it just wasn't an option. Hospitality workers just skipping over tip screen on POS systems, or they were programmed without them, giving us receipts without tip lines, etc. We still usually left a couple of dollars most times and a few extra where we'd received amazing service. At no time did it ever seem expected, anticipated, etc. and that includes tourist heavy places, western hotels including the Pier One, and a lot of restaurants in The Rocks.
That's the way it is. Reasonable wages, over time, paid public holidays, 4 weeks paid annual leave, 9.5% contribution to pension/superannuation fund by employer, Government Medicare. The current Aust National Minimum Wage is $19.49 per hour, or $740.80 per 38-hour week.

https://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/
Full Time Salaries | New South Wales | Victoria | Western Australia | Queensland | South Australia
Wage Facts
  • Full-time earnings in Australia averaged A$82,436 a year in the second quarter of 2018. (Seasonally adjusted wages – Bureau of Statistics.)
  • If overtime and bonuses are included, average Australian earnings were A$85,982 per annum.
  • The average full-time male salary (excluding overtime) in Australia is A$87,209 per annum
  • The average full-time female salary in Australia (excluding overtime) is A$74,563 per annum.

Workers in Capital Territory are Australia’s highest paid workers while Tasmania has the lowest average salary.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:45 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Agree with others about respecting local tipping cultures.
Though that's a separate issue from treating service workers respectfully.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:53 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
From the vivid description of the offenders by the OP, perhaps the best sign to put up in the lounge would be "No Americans"? Maybe a scale at the entrance with anyone with a BMI over 25 not allowed entry either?

Positive feedback to a supervisor/manager is always a good fallback to show appreciation to a hard working staff member in a non tipping environment.
ExArkie likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: