Compensation for room issues

Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If not a known problem, no compensation. Room change sufficient.

If known problem that is serious, then 1 night in points compensation. Always ask to talk to duty manager.

I almost never ask for compensation. Senior mgt usually know what to do. If they don't, move on. Not worth fighting for points.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
If not a known problem, no compensation. Room change sufficient.

If known problem that is serious, then 1 night in points compensation. Always ask to talk to duty manager.

I almost never ask for compensation. Senior mgt usually know what to do. If they don't, move on. Not worth fighting for points.
Indeed.

Would also add, good GMs know what to do without being asked.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
I emailed my complaint to the corporate Marriott email Sunday night and received a reply back from Vespera On Ocean Tuesday night. They issued a refund for the Saturday night of my two night stay (Friday & Saturday). I was extremely detailed within my email, even outlining minor things that that stood out to me during my stay in an effort to help them improve the overall consistency of their guest experience. Their response was really short in comparison and very generic, almost like a copy pasted response.

This was the best outcome for me and I'm glad they didn't low ball me. I was hoping to receive a more carefully tailored reply, and an explanation for the smoke issues. I could see myself visiting the property again, if they resolve the room issues and once the nearby construction is finished.
yjc281 and margarita girl like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm like you, OP, I actually want to help hotels do better, not just get compensation and be on my way. I think you might have made a mistake by sending a detailed list of all problems and complaints--that makes it too easy for them to bin you as an "incessant complainer--let's give him a free night and make him go away". I probably would have written about the smoke causing two room changes, and then saying something like, "I spend a lot of time in hotels and noticed several other areas of potential improvement. If hotel management is interested, I'd be happy to give them some suggestions." Then, if they actually reached out, you'd know it's a property that actually cares about getting better. If not, well, that tells you something too...
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I think that this kind of behavior serves the same purpose as kidnapping. If the goal of Trip Advisor is to inform other guests, you've allowed the hotel to ransom your review for a sufficient number of points. You've benefited no one other than yourself by putting points in your pocket.

In a similar situation, I approached it slightly differently. I had a problem with a tour company which really ripped me off. In fact, I consider what they did to be pretty much predatory pricing and theft. I wrote them and told them that I was unhappy, but made no specific demand; and I also posted accurate, but very negative reviews on FT and Trip Advisor. Long and complicated story short, a couple of years later they offered a written apology along with an description of their complete replacement of senior management (which I verified on their website), and a full refund, in exchange for which I removed my negative posts at their request.
Have you ever kidnapped someone, or being kidnapped? If not, your comparison to kidnapped is extreme and uncalled for.

I did not initially contacted Marriott HQ myself. It was them who initiated to contact, and asked what kind of compensation I would like. I checked this forum and found someone else got 90k, so that's what I asked for, saying I haven't posted this experience in any public forum yet. I'll wait for response, before posting. When they offered 45k, and after a few days that they confirmed that's all they'd do, that's when I refused, and went ahead to post in TA. AT that time I also didn't know the seriousness of bed bugs, until our sister-in-law scolded at us, to wash all our clothes, clean our car, and check everywhere in our house to make sure no bed bugs followed us home from that hotel.

Good for you that you got changes to happen, and you chose to remove your negative review. But to compared to "kidnapping", hope you at least looked up what it means.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Even though you had a satisfactory outcome after some (too much?) effort I hope you post a review on tripadvisor (since Bonvoy no longer seems to send requests for reviews for stays for their own properties - or there too if you actually can). I'd certainly want to know about the smoke issue and noise that you mentioned about nearby construction. Not everyone reads ft but I do use ta (with some discretion) when deciding on hotels.

Originally Posted by IndoorCamper
I emailed my complaint to the corporate Marriott email Sunday night and received a reply back from Vespera On Ocean Tuesday night. They issued a refund for the Saturday night of my two night stay (Friday & Saturday). I was extremely detailed within my email, even outlining minor things that that stood out to me during my stay in an effort to help them improve the overall consistency of their guest experience. Their response was really short in comparison and very generic, almost like a copy pasted response.

This was the best outcome for me and I'm glad they didn't low ball me. I was hoping to receive a more carefully tailored reply, and an explanation for the smoke issues. I could see myself visiting the property again, if they resolve the room issues and once the nearby construction is finished.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
In my opinion OP deserves compensation

To me especially for a vacation OP has been severely inconvenienced and should receive some compensation for the trouble.

In 2019 I have been given compensation twice from two Courtyard frontdesk staff.

Case 1 A small dirty brownish spot on bed sheet.
Small but disgusting. Was given 5k points.

Case 2 Toilet not flushed resulting terrible smell of urine and maybe something else. 4k points.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yscleo
I told them if they don't at least offer the 3 nights (75k) points, I'll no longer keep quiet about the hotel name. They wouldn't budge, so I wrote on TA about the bed bugs in Renaissance Newark airport hotel.
Have you ever kidnapped someone, or being kidnapped? If not, your comparison to kidnapped is extreme and uncalled for.
No, I have never kidnapped anyone; nor have I been kidnapped. That's relevant how? My comment would be acceptable to you if I had been a kidnap victim?

But you're right; kidnap was the wrong word. Extortion was the word I was looking for. My mistake.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I stayed at a Springhill Suites in downtown Milwaukee, WI that was connected to a BBQ restaurant (Doc's Smokehouse) that had the same known issue when the restuarant opened. I believe it's been fixed now.

Personally I love the smell of a BBQ smoker or campfire so it didn't bother me at all. Did make me hungry though.

Last edited by apodo77; Nov 21, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No, I have never kidnapped anyone; nor have I been kidnapped. That's relevant how? My comment would be acceptable to you if I had been a kidnap victim?

But you're right; kidnap was the wrong word. Extortion was the word I was looking for. My mistake.
Marriott HQ contacted me, said bed bugs are every where, but they'd like to offer compensation. They asked me what I'd like for compensation. I searched this Marriott forum and found others in similar situation got 90k. So I called and told them 90k, and won't write about this experience in public forums until I hear from them. They thought about it and came back to offer 45k. I told them that's too low, but I'll take 75k. They thought about it and said 45k is their offer, no more. Another person (here in Marriott forum) also commented 45k is too low, for my bed bug situation.

You didn't get bed bug bites all over your arm and shoulder, and neck, and face, and had to use cream for many days (because it hurts and it's itchy). You didn't wait for Marriott front desk to get someone confirm bed bugs, and filled out forms. You didn't have to pack and move to a smaller room. You didn't have to wash all your clothes, and clean your car, to ensure no more bed bugs followed, etc. You didn't search in Marriott forum on what others got as fair compensation. You are entitled to your opinion of what kidnapping is, or what extortion is vs what others considered fair compensation.
Happy and IndoorCamper like this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
You didn't get bed bug bites all over your arm and shoulder, and neck, and face, and had to use cream for many days (because it hurts and it's itchy). You didn't wait for Marriott front desk to get someone confirm bed bugs, and filled out forms. You didn't have to pack and move to a smaller room. You didn't have to wash all your clothes, and clean your car, to ensure no more bed bugs followed, etc. You didn't search in Marriott forum on what others got as fair compensation. You are entitled to your opinion of what kidnapping is, or what extortion is vs what others considered fair compensation.
No, you are correct. None of this happened to me.

Marriott HQ contacted me, said bed bugs are every where, but they'd like to offer compensation. They asked me what I'd like for compensation. I searched this Marriott forum and found others in similar situation got 90k. So I called and told them 90k, and won't write about this experience in public forums until I hear from them.
Nevertheless, this is the very definition of extortion. Give me what I demand or else I'll hurt you.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
I have to side with yscleo on this one. However, how the situation is perceived is obviously subjective and people are free to choose whatever course of action they deem reasonable.

From my perspective, yscleo purchased the rights to use the hotel room when he booked the room. It is reasonable to assume that the room would be free of infestation and in usable condition. The fact that the room was not in usable condition deprived yscleo of his right to use said room (along with many other horrible repercussions). Yscleo gave the hotel the opportunity to make things right since the hotel was the one who did not hold up to their end of the agreement. The hotel had the obligation to make yscleo whole. The hotel failed to adequately compensate him (in his eyes) so he wrote a negative review. Hell, I'd say it was rather generous of him to even offer to NOT write a review. I personally would be livid if this happened to me, and would still voice my complaints through the appropriate channels online even if I was compensated.

Its not like he sought out Marriott specifically to try to unjustly enrich himself. It would be an entirely different scenario if he knew of the infestation before hand and threatened to publicize it the infestation unless he was provided something in return. I think it is a stretch to call this extortion.

I do plan on writing a review on Vespara with all the details of my experiences, good or bad, even though they compensated me.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:43 am

What would you guys do in my situation? I feel like the situation was mis-managed, and although the inconvenience was minor, they should have awarded me something as a courtesy. I'm most likely not going to mention anything, but I was wondering what you all think. Thanks!
The inconvenience was so minor that you aren't going to mention it, but you want to be compensated?

What exactly would make you happy in this situation? Figure that out, then go to the manager, and ask for it.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
The inconvenience was so minor that you aren't going to mention it, but you want to be compensated?

What exactly would make you happy in this situation? Figure that out, then go to the manager, and ask for it.
I've provided updates on my situation, go take a look. You're late the party, the issue has been resolved.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:27 am

I've provided updates on my situation, go take a look. You're late the party, the issue has been resolved.
Yes, I read the rest of the thread. But those are good questions to ask yourself in the general case, and it's good for other readers to think about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.