Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR

Old Nov 8, 19, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

"In a recent survey of Bonvoy members, respondents said that they preferred the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program over either Marriott Rewards or SPG by an eight to one margin" - have been zero reports anywhere of this type of survey

https://onemileatatime.com/survey-pe...rriott-bonvoy/

Some tip top leadership there

Have at it
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
I haven't looked at the article yet, but what was the ratio of Marriott members vs SPG members before the merger? Of course the Marriott people would prefer Bonfire. Look at all the new benefits they're getting:
  • breakfast
  • late check out
  • SNAs
  • suite upgrades
  • double welcome bonus
  • luxury properties
  • no black out dates

What's not to like???
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
"In a recent survey of Bonvoy members, respondents said that they preferred the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program over either Marriott Rewards or SPG by an eight to one margin" - have been zero reports anywhere of this type of survey

https://onemileatatime.com/survey-pe...rriott-bonvoy/

Some tip top leadership there

Have at it
And you know this is a lie.... because?
It is quite common for corporations to contract with polling companies to conduct all types of polls including favorability polls. The results are often used internally and not made public.
The fact that the survey results turned out differently than the author of the article or the OP believes doesn't mean a legitimate survey wasn't conducted.
The title of this thread is outrageous and borderline slanderous. There is ZERO evidence that Mr. Sorenson lied, and to state so is disgraceful.

Newman
Dr. HFH, jspira, ExArkie and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Newman; Nov 8, 19 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As 1) a professional in the market research industry who fully understands surveying and 2) one who is painfully aware of the issues over the past year and 3) given that there have been zero reports of any survey of this type - I am fully 100% confident this clown CEO is fully pulling this out of his behind
bocastephen, drron, 360guy and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Furthermore - while I could have accepted (as the post notes) something in the 2:1 range about preference - I'm confident in saying there is a 0.0% chance that an 8:1 result would emerge from a true representative sample of the combined user base, via best practices in questioning.

I bet I could pick apart the sampling and methodology in about 2 seconds - it probably looked something like this (from the infamous COdbaUA survey):

KRSW and porciuscato like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As 1) a professional in the market research industry who fully understands surveying and 2) one who is painfully aware of the issues over the past year and 3) given that there have been zero reports of any survey of this type - I am fully 100% confident this clown CEO is fully pulling this out of his behind
Perhaps the overwhelming majority of the 100 million + Bonvoy members are willing to accept "the issues over the past year", btw, which have improved dramatically, in exchange for all of the benefits annotated in Post #2 .
Also, the fact that you are not aware of any survey of this type doesn't mean it wasn't conducted or the results were not exactly as described. That is how internal polling works in the corporate world. Results are used for product and service research, development, and improvement.

Newman
Dr. HFH and ExArkie like this.

Last edited by Newman; Nov 8, 19 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lol - "internal polling" (aka not exactly polling your, you know, customers) is basically the only way to artificially get to an 8:1 outcome
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And - while legacy Marriott members now have new benefits well beyond they could have ever dreamed of - they also 1) have seen 50-100% point inflation, 2) IT/CS issues not apparently observed in the legacy program, 3) Plats now getting layered by Ambassadors, 4) downgrade in UA matching benefits for 50 night stayers, etc.

A mixed bad, maybe a net positive overall - a claimed 8:1 preference ratio, however, is beyond the pale
KRSW, supatight80 and Rd3 like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I for one do prefer the new bonvoy program over the old Marriott program

hands down far superior imo. I get better value, I get better treatment and the larger hotel footprint is unbeatable
Newman, Twickenham and JBord like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:59 pm

2019 Secret Santa

And - while legacy Marriott members now have new benefits well beyond they could have ever dreamed of - they also 1) have seen 50-100% point inflation, 2) IT/CS issues not apparently observed in the legacy program, 3) Plats now getting layered by Ambassadors, 4) downgrade in UA matching benefits for 50 night stayers, etc.

A mixed bad, maybe a net positive overall - a claimed 8:1 preference ratio, however, is beyond the pale
New Benefits............Great!!! These are advertised benefits but who is actually getting these on a regular basis? I can tell you, I sure am not. It's a Bonvoyed Scam.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Uh where are the moderators to combine multiple consecutive posts?. This is like talking to yourself! Anyone?
Newman and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For anyone wondering - the ratio of members pre-merger was 2.5:1, with minimal overlap (expected at 16%, ended up being 11%)

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/tra...istion-n464866
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Of course the Marriott people would prefer Bonfire. Look at all the new benefits they're getting:
  • breakfast
You have that backwards. Marriott members got breakfast before the merger, SPG member did not (except for those rare Starwood properties with lounges).
Newman likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
You have that backwards. Marriott members got breakfast before the merger, SPG member did not (except for those rare Starwood properties with lounges).
Wow, you’ve been getting ripped off. SPG instituted the breakfast benefit circa 2012!

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012
cawhite, drron, karenkay and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
I'm just sure I've seen polls on FT before, no? Anyone able to insert one into this or another thread where we see how FTers feel how they would've voted in this hypothetical poll?

Granted, FTers aren't necessarily representative of the genpop, but we're more likely to make regular use of the program (and have thus had direct experiences with such scams as the "standard room" ripoff). And we've only got just a handful of shills actively participating in the forum, so I would guess that any results we generate here might be something worthy of picking up in the blogosphere and perhaps even mainstream news outlets.

Just sayin.

Search this Thread