FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1994704-arne-now-outright-lying-says-bonvoy-preferred-8-1-over-spg-mr.html)

UA-NYC Nov 8, 19 6:35 pm

Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR
 
"In a recent survey of Bonvoy members, respondents said that they preferred the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program over either Marriott Rewards or SPG by an eight to one margin" - have been zero reports anywhere of this type of survey

https://onemileatatime.com/survey-pe...rriott-bonvoy/

Some tip top leadership there

Have at it

margarita girl Nov 8, 19 6:53 pm

I haven't looked at the article yet, but what was the ratio of Marriott members vs SPG members before the merger? Of course the Marriott people would prefer Bonfire. Look at all the new benefits they're getting:
  • breakfast
  • late check out
  • SNAs
  • suite upgrades
  • double welcome bonus
  • luxury properties
  • no black out dates

What's not to like???

Newman Nov 8, 19 6:57 pm


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31717225)
"In a recent survey of Bonvoy members, respondents said that they preferred the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program over either Marriott Rewards or SPG by an eight to one margin" - have been zero reports anywhere of this type of survey

https://onemileatatime.com/survey-pe...rriott-bonvoy/

Some tip top leadership there

Have at it

And you know this is a lie.... because?
It is quite common for corporations to contract with polling companies to conduct all types of polls including favorability polls. The results are often used internally and not made public.
The fact that the survey results turned out differently than the author of the article or the OP believes doesn't mean a legitimate survey wasn't conducted.
The title of this thread is outrageous and borderline slanderous. There is ZERO evidence that Mr. Sorenson lied, and to state so is disgraceful.

Newman

UA-NYC Nov 8, 19 6:59 pm

As 1) a professional in the market research industry who fully understands surveying and 2) one who is painfully aware of the issues over the past year and 3) given that there have been zero reports of any survey of this type - I am fully 100% confident this clown CEO is fully pulling this out of his behind

UA-NYC Nov 8, 19 7:09 pm

Furthermore - while I could have accepted (as the post notes) something in the 2:1 range about preference - I'm confident in saying there is a 0.0% chance that an 8:1 result would emerge from a true representative sample of the combined user base, via best practices in questioning.

I bet I could pick apart the sampling and methodology in about 2 seconds - it probably looked something like this (from the infamous COdbaUA survey):

https://frequentlyflying.boardingare...ee-survey.jpeg

Newman Nov 8, 19 7:10 pm


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31717296)
As 1) a professional in the market research industry who fully understands surveying and 2) one who is painfully aware of the issues over the past year and 3) given that there have been zero reports of any survey of this type - I am fully 100% confident this clown CEO is fully pulling this out of his behind

Perhaps the overwhelming majority of the 100 million + Bonvoy members are willing to accept "the issues over the past year", btw, which have improved dramatically, in exchange for all of the benefits annotated in Post #2 .
Also, the fact that you are not aware of any survey of this type doesn't mean it wasn't conducted or the results were not exactly as described. That is how internal polling works in the corporate world. Results are used for product and service research, development, and improvement.

Newman

UA-NYC Nov 8, 19 7:16 pm

Lol - "internal polling" (aka not exactly polling your, you know, customers) is basically the only way to artificially get to an 8:1 outcome

UA-NYC Nov 8, 19 7:24 pm

And - while legacy Marriott members now have new benefits well beyond they could have ever dreamed of - they also 1) have seen 50-100% point inflation, 2) IT/CS issues not apparently observed in the legacy program, 3) Plats now getting layered by Ambassadors, 4) downgrade in UA matching benefits for 50 night stayers, etc.

A mixed bad, maybe a net positive overall - a claimed 8:1 preference ratio, however, is beyond the pale

Nuhusky Nov 8, 19 7:56 pm

I for one do prefer the new bonvoy program over the old Marriott program

hands down far superior imo. I get better value, I get better treatment and the larger hotel footprint is unbeatable

Bravada04 Nov 8, 19 7:59 pm


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31717353)
And - while legacy Marriott members now have new benefits well beyond they could have ever dreamed of - they also 1) have seen 50-100% point inflation, 2) IT/CS issues not apparently observed in the legacy program, 3) Plats now getting layered by Ambassadors, 4) downgrade in UA matching benefits for 50 night stayers, etc.

A mixed bad, maybe a net positive overall - a claimed 8:1 preference ratio, however, is beyond the pale

New Benefits............Great!!! These are advertised benefits but who is actually getting these on a regular basis? I can tell you, I sure am not. It's a Bonvoyed Scam.

Collierkr Nov 8, 19 8:03 pm

Uh where are the moderators to combine multiple consecutive posts?. This is like talking to yourself! Anyone?

UA-NYC Nov 8, 19 8:05 pm

For anyone wondering - the ratio of members pre-merger was 2.5:1, with minimal overlap (expected at 16%, ended up being 11%)

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/tra...istion-n464866

mahasamatman Nov 8, 19 8:19 pm


Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31717278)
Of course the Marriott people would prefer Bonfire. Look at all the new benefits they're getting:
  • breakfast

You have that backwards. Marriott members got breakfast before the merger, SPG member did not (except for those rare Starwood properties with lounges).

margarita girl Nov 8, 19 8:23 pm


Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31717463)
You have that backwards. Marriott members got breakfast before the merger, SPG member did not (except for those rare Starwood properties with lounges).

Wow, you’ve been getting ripped off. SPG instituted the breakfast benefit circa 2012!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...ed-2012-a.html

CCIE_Flyer Nov 8, 19 8:55 pm

I'm just sure I've seen polls on FT before, no? Anyone able to insert one into this or another thread where we see how FTers feel how they would've voted in this hypothetical poll?

Granted, FTers aren't necessarily representative of the genpop, but we're more likely to make regular use of the program (and have thus had direct experiences with such scams as the "standard room" ripoff). And we've only got just a handful of shills actively participating in the forum, so I would guess that any results we generate here might be something worthy of picking up in the blogosphere and perhaps even mainstream news outlets.

Just sayin.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.