Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR

Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR

Old Nov 10, 19, 1:14 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CEB - primary/YVR -secondary
Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Ambassador (LTT)
Posts: 1,792
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
And you continue echoing your spg superiority. If Spg fit peoples travel patterns, then they got the best of both worlds, didn't work for everyone and partially as a result, there is no more spg or Starwood.

Hate it so much, move to Hilton or Hyatt. Stop .....ing and acting like we're idiots for not joining the complain fest.
People choose a loyalty program because it best suits their needs. Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by bdschobel; Nov 10, 19 at 1:19 pm Reason: removed personal comment
supatight80 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 1:34 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC - upper West Side
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
....The point remains - nothing gets 90% agreement. Nothing. This merger has had endless ups and downs and is in no position to generate near unanimous sentiment on anything.

The leader of the company misrepresenting data or consumer response continues to be a joke. Have some humility for gods sake already.
These are your opinions. Please do not state as if they are facts.
What is a "joke" to you is an accurate representation of not only my experience, but the almost universal shared experience of my friends/family/co-workers.
You have provided no evidence to support your claim of bias and misrepresentations. Only an abstract assertion that the survey results couldn't be correct because you say so.

Newman
Newman is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 1:38 pm
  #78  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 6,444
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
The issue is, that these people refuse to accept that there may be others (and many others) that do find it an improvement.
Well yes, welcome to the Internet
Antarius likes this.
EuropeanPete is online now  
Old Nov 10, 19, 1:41 pm
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,724
A few Arne worshippers really donít like this thread. Lol.

Program is a mixed bag. Some love it some hate it. Many in the middle.

Keep ignoring the key point - it is virtually possible to get a real, honest, genuine, 90% agreement on anything. Just doesnít happen.

I have no qualms in saying the CEO is basically lying by saying this. None whatsoever.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 1:48 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 537
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
No one gets offended by the topic. As a former spg-er, I agree that SPG was a better program, just like Hyatt has a better one now. I also accept that it is what it is, and there are also advantages as a result of the merger.

.
Itís not actually true that was such a terrific program as it usually claimed over here. At least not in my perspective. It did have a bunch of great properties, but those still remain in Bonvoyís portfolio.

But SPG also did have tremendous service failures: the issues with SNAs and Your24 did not start with Bonvoy but carried over from SPG; I had several emails and queries to CS go unanswered over the years; stays constantly posted incorrectly and I had to email research to get it corrected; I had way too many BRG claims take more than 5 days to be processed; properties often didnít abide by the program rules and SPG stood by them. Just browse the old SPG forum on FT and see the number of complaints and issues reported over the years.

SPG was the only hotel loyalty program I have ever been a member of ó mostly because of 2 or 3 properties where I am a regular and get an excellent reception ó, but over the 15 years I was with SPG I had plenty of minor headaches and issues with them to know better than claim it was a perfect program where everything worked smoothly and nothing went wrong.
MePlatPremier is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:21 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,100
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
What did the old Marriott program offer that you don't get today?
Superior Travel Packages that actually had value.

Phone agents who were not only properly trained, but were actually empowered.

UA Gold for MR PP status.
Tanic is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:59 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC - upper West Side
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Some of the complaints herein make it quite clear why Arne said some are just noise around the fringe. I actually think he may have been quite generous to only consider it noise. Cacophony seems a bit more appropriate for some.

As @khabah put it quite succinctly, some herein are never to be satisfied. Here's hoping those move quickly to Hyatt so they can better spend their time complaining about the immense breadth of the Hyatt portfolio or about how those Globalist concierges aren't all they're cracked up to be, either. Or they can move to Hilton, IHG, or Accor so we all really can laugh.
Never before has one post been so true about so much......

Newman
Newman is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:17 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Deep In The Heart of Northeast Texas Ski Country
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
A few Arne worshippers really donít like this thread. Lol.

Program is a mixed bag. Some love it some hate it. Many in the middle.

Keep ignoring the key point - it is virtually possible to get a real, honest, genuine, 90% agreement on anything. Just doesnít happen.

I have no qualms in saying the CEO is basically lying by saying this. None whatsoever.
God bless our Lord and Savior Arne Sorensen. May his reign last forever and resort fees expand under his watchful eye. amen.
Newman likes this.
hotelboy is online now  
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:48 pm
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,571
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
About as likely to be accurate as SkyTrax.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:55 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 2,100
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
our Lord and Savior Arne Sorensen.
Blasphemy!
Tanic is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 12:12 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Superior Travel Packages that actually had value.
Just a side note of my thoughts...

Interesting to me is that at that point you actually earned the travel packages by staying and earning. You generally weren't going to generate points through Chase Marriott Rewards Visa points, as it was 1 point per dollar on spend. Once 3:1 was decided on for SPG to MR ratio, the Travel Packages had a short life expectancy. Throw in the people pushing for 5 night packages that they were realistically not eligible for, and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

That being said, with the 75% level for Titanium, higher arrival bonuses, and 2 points per dollar on the Bonvoy cards, I wonder how much of a devaluation it actually is with peak nights in effect now...
joeags is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:41 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
They said that when Esso changed its name to Exxon, too. Let me make a few points, here:

1) FTers are not representative of the average Marriott customer, and comprise but a microscopic percentage of the traveling public.

2) IMO FTers are overwhelmingly negative and critical. I see far more posts about misses than hits.

3) As margarita girl pointed out upthread, there is an argument that things have improved for pre-merger Marriott folks.

4) I'm unprepared to call anyone a liar, especially in such a hugely public way as a popular forum, without more than unfounded suspicion. If anyone here has proof beyond what strikes them as reasonable/logical, please post it in the thread.
For 2), itís not that FTers are over critical. Itís a fact that people tend to speak up only when it goes wrong. You donít post on a forum things like ďchecked into my room ok, got a suite upgrade and the lounge lady was nice, so itís a standard experience as a plat.Ē Only extremely good/bad one that gets posted here.
SKRan is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 3:39 am
  #88  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,841
Indeed. I donít normally go reporting : ďas is typical, my usual glass of water looked and tasted like normal water as it usually doesĒ. Itís if the water was unusual that it is more likely to become a conversational piece.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
An 8 to 1 ratio seems artificially high, and the survey was probably rigged for the outcome. But it does not mean that there are not a lot of people who are better off in the new program
I think that the OP would agree with the above sentences in full. And so would I.

The OPís point is that ď[an 8 to 1 ratio seems artificially high, and the survey was probably rigged for the outcome.Ē In other words, the claim from Marriottís CEO about this would be considered deceptive at the very least.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 8:27 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,448
I bet you can't even find 8 people - not an 8:1 ratio, but EIGHT people - who say that Bonvoy is a better name than Marriott Rewards, except obviously for those on the payroll.

I certainly agree with the basic premise that you cannot possibly get an 8:1 ratio on a survey without rigging it.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 8:39 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,290
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I bet you can't even find 8 people - not an 8:1 ratio, but EIGHT people - who say that Bonvoy is a better name than Marriott Rewards, except obviously for those on the payroll.
Meh. It is what it is. Once you get used to it, it is no different than any other name. Starwood is an equivalently silly name, just one that we got used to.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Antarius is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread