FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1994704-arne-now-outright-lying-says-bonvoy-preferred-8-1-over-spg-mr.html)

Loren Pechtel Nov 9, 19 4:58 am


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31717332)
Lol - "internal polling" (aka not exactly polling your, you know, customers) is basically the only way to artificially get to an 8:1 outcome

There are plenty of other ways to rig the results.

UA-NYC Nov 9, 19 6:18 am

Convening a biased focus group of 9 respondents, and 8 say the new program is better, would also give you the stated 8:1 result.

Of course, focus groups aren't "data", and presenting something similar would, yes, be a lie to customers and to investors.

Again - there is no way this 8:1 claim can be generated in a truthful, representative manner.

flying_geek Nov 9, 19 7:44 am

Numbers, when tortured, will always submit.

While I also doubt that they have done a statistically relevant survey that suggests people like Bonvoy better than SPG/MR by a wide margin - with the right questions asked you can have any result.

Do you think adding free breakfast is a valuable new benefit of Marriott Bonvoy?
Do you feel that adding "no black out dates" greatly increases flexibility for Marriott Bonvoy members?
Do you think customers appreciate all the new additional redemption options giving members a wider choice of properties for vacation redemptions?
Do you think Marriott Bonvoy is now more valuable than the old program?

or

Do you miss the days when customer service seemed to care about your issues?
Are you happy that the value of your points went down?
Does it bother you that award redemptions are now depending on peak/off peak season and your favorite hotels might no longer be available at reasonable redemption levels?
Do you think Marriott Bonvoy is now more valuable than the old program?

And then you publish the results of the last question. Of course with a little thinking one could come up with more effective leading questions... But this should illustrate the point.

kaizen7 Nov 9, 19 7:59 am

Agreed, most likely the survey questions was geared towards certain result such as comparing previous program (MR RCR to Bonvoy or SPG to Bonvoy)

And I believe MR/RCR members would find Bonvoy is better than the previous program.

hotelboy Nov 9, 19 8:48 am


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31717225)
"In a recent survey of Bonvoy members, respondents said that they preferred the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program over either Marriott Rewards or SPG by an eight to one margin" - have been zero reports anywhere of this type of survey

https://onemileatatime.com/survey-pe...rriott-bonvoy/

Some tip top leadership there

Have at it

Why is this so hard to believe? It is 100% inappropriate to accuse our Lord and Savior Arne of lying without any evidence. You may disagree with the poll's findings as you have stated but there is no evidence that the numbers are false. State that you disagree and move on to Hilton where the grass may not be any greener.

Dr. HFH Nov 9, 19 9:49 am


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31718368)
Again - there is no way this 8:1 claim can be generated in a truthful, representative manner.

And there is no way that your statement is anything more than conjecture unsupported by any facts that we've seen.

VickiSoCal Nov 9, 19 9:54 am

Do I prefer Bonvoy to Marriot Rewards the day before the merger became final? Yes. Do I prefer it to Marriott Rewards of 6 or 7 years ago, absolutely not.

UA-NYC Nov 9, 19 9:55 am

It defies anything approaching common sense to look at the combined customer base and objective issues and mix of upgrades and downgrades and believe that nearly 90% of the customers think it’s in a better place.

Comments on OMAAT and VFTW, while full of some savvy and some more novice travelers, would suggest 8:1 in the opposite direction.

But I guess Pravda had its loyal and fervent believers too...

Often1 Nov 9, 19 10:12 am


Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 31717225)
"In a recent survey of Bonvoy members, respondents said that they preferred the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program over either Marriott Rewards or SPG by an eight to one margin" - have been zero reports anywhere of this type of survey

https://onemileatatime.com/survey-pe...rriott-bonvoy/

Some tip top leadership there

Have at it

If you have evidence that this is a lie, you should report it to the SEC. It is a public company and a false and misleading statement of this magnitude by the CEO is actionable.

If you do not, then, you should know better than to use the language you used.

UA-NYC Nov 9, 19 10:56 am

I 100% stand by what I write.

(believe the kids would say these days “thanks Boomer”)

chipmaster Nov 9, 19 10:59 am

In this day and age of saying what you want on FB and twitter, why should this surprise anyone, LOL

Any survey clever in questions and interpretation any conclusion can be made, good to know the CEO is good at reality distortion, I'm sure it'll lead to more Bonvoyed moments for us all!

GUWonder Nov 9, 19 11:01 am

If Marriott Rewards had 8 to 10 times as many members as SPG, can't say I'm surprised. Even otherwise, I would expect that most Marriott Rewards and most SPG members weren't so vested and informed about SPG and Marriott Bonvoy to really care much or experience much in the terms of negative outcomes from the program combination. So an 80% non-disapproval rating from people whose focus is elsewhere in life than the miles&points-focused crowd really isn't shockingly high. What's surprising to me is that the figure isn't more like a 90+% non-disapproval rating.


Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31718891)
If you have evidence that this is a lie, you should report it to the SEC. It is a public company and a false and misleading statement of this magnitude by the CEO is actionable.

SEC enforcement about such things is a joke when it comes to the biggest industry players. There is no way that even a misleading marketing statement about this from the Marriott CEO would lead to the SEC doing anything that materially hits Marriott's CEO or earnings.

DJ_Iceman Nov 9, 19 11:36 am


Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 31718831)
Do I prefer Bonvoy to Marriot Rewards the day before the merger became final? Yes. Do I prefer it to Marriott Rewards of 6 or 7 years ago, absolutely not.

Yes, 100% agree. But I prefer Bonvoy to any era of SPG.

HHQX888 Nov 9, 19 2:50 pm

Ok, Arne 8:1 - but why I see on Bonvoy TV promo chanel most recordings is from old SPG hotels ??? You don't like your old hotels or you like SPG vibe ???

Often1 Nov 9, 19 3:04 pm


Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31719047)
If Marriott Rewards had 8 to 10 times as many members as SPG, can't say I'm surprised. Even otherwise, I would expect that most Marriott Rewards and most SPG members weren't so vested and informed about SPG and Marriott Bonvoy to really care much or experience much in the terms of negative outcomes from the program combination. So an 80% non-disapproval rating from people whose focus is elsewhere in life than the miles&points-focused crowd really isn't shockingly high. What's surprising to me is that the figure isn't more like a 90+% non-disapproval rating.



SEC enforcement about such things is a joke when it comes to the biggest industry players. There is no way that even a misleading marketing statement about this from the Marriott CEO would lead to the SEC doing anything that materially hits Marriott's CEO or earnings.

A few misleading tweets from Elon Musk regarding Tesla sort of caught the SEC's attention!

But, the larger point is that if OP is correct, not only is this an SEC matter, but oodles of class action plaintiffs lawyers would be ahead of OP and FT. And they are not.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:38 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.