Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arne now outright lying: says Bonvoy preferred 8:1 over SPG/MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The point remains - a 90% preference rate just doesn’t happen. Anywhere, in any type of data. That is basically unanimous.
Your source for this alleged fact?

Take the 1972 Presidential election. Nixon took 96.8% of the electoral votes. And won 98% of the states (96% if you count the District of Columbia). Or how about the 1984 election? Reagan won 97.6% of the electoral votes, and, the same as in 1972, 98% of the states (96% if you count the District of Columbia). And in an election, you have no concern about the wording of the question potentially skewing the results. What is an election if not a measure of people's preference?

Just a couple of months ago, more than 93 per cent of respondents to a British Columbia government survey said that they want permanent daylight savings time.

In a recent survey conducted by Bloomberg, 99.6% of more than 5,000 Tesla Model 3 customers surveyed said that the vehicle was a pleasure to drive.

In a survey conducted earlier this year by Vertiv and 451 Research of major telecom operators, more than 90% said that they believe that 5G will result in higher energy costs.

Do I need to keep going?

Originally Posted by Herb687
SPG devalued. MR devalued. HH devalued. AA devalued. DL devalued. Avios devalued... Do you see a trend here?
I bet that if you check, you'll also find that GM and Ford have raised prices over the same period of time. How about gasoline for your vehicle? And the cash price of hotel rooms. Do you see a trend here?
Newman and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 13, 2019 at 6:42 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I bet that if you check, you'll also find that GM and Ford have raised prices over the same period of time. How about gasoline for your vehicle? And the cash price of hotel rooms. Do you see a trend here?
I do see a trend. Snark that proves my point.

If a travel provider is going to reward me with points of dubious and eroding value, I may as well prefer the program that at least gives me a wide footprint and broad choice of generally decent properties.

My travel takes me to lots of places that, pre-merger, had zero or few SPG options. To now be able to stay in a property like the Ambassador in ICT or the Raphael in KC (granted there were SPG choices pre-merger in KC, but none particularly good) and earn a few points along the way is a big benefit to me. And in places like, say, BTL, SHV, TVC and other small cities where I have to travel, I've gone from having zero SPG options to multiple Dumbname ones.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a travel provider is going to reward me with points of dubious and eroding value, I may as well prefer the program that at least gives me a wide footprint and broad choice of generally decent properties.
Dollar bills have constantly eroding value, too.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
What's your point, Dr. Non Sequitur?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's your point, Dr. Non Sequitur?
My point is that while you complain that the Marriott currency (Bonvoy points) has constantly eroding value, find me a currency that doesn't have constantly eroding value. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Newman likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point is that while you complain that the Marriott currency (Bonvoy points) has constantly eroding value, find me a currency that doesn't have constantly eroding value. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Ok. But macroeconomic inflation seems rather meta for this board. If I had a choice of taking my reward in Bonvoy points or greenbacks, I'd probably choose dollars. But no such choice exists. Not directly at least.

Bonvoy points have constantly eroding value. Just like HHonors points and AAdvantage miles. Devaluation seems to be a major bone of contention for many on this board. I'm simply pointing out that Marriott is likely no better and no worse than its hotel competitors (and airlines). They all devalue. So, despite devaluation, it's possible for the big picture of what Marriott offers vs. what SPG used to offer to still favor the new Marriott program.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Citing the electoral college as representative of the will of the people...truly SMH. Unbelievable.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Citing the electoral college as representative of the will of the people...truly SMH. Unbelievable.
OK, I can see your point. Knock out all the election examples. How about the non-election examples?

• Just a couple of months ago, more than 93 per cent of respondents to a British Columbia government survey said that they want permanent daylight savings time.
  • In a recent survey conducted by Bloomberg, 99.6% of more than 5,000 Tesla Model 3 customers surveyed said that the vehicle was a pleasure to drive.
  • In a survey conducted earlier this year by Vertiv and 451 Research of major telecom operators, more than 90% said that they believe that 5G will result in higher energy costs.

Where does that leave your assertion that:
... a 90% preference rate just doesn’t happen. Anywhere, in any type of data. That is basically unanimous.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 14, 2019 at 1:08 am
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:46 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
This thread is closed as the discussion has moved into OMNI territory. If anyone wants to continue the discussion they can start a thread there.

hhoope01
Marriott Bonvoy Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.