Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-Starwood Sheraton loyalty program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold

Does anyone recall whether Sheraton (ITT Sheraton) had its own loyalty program prior to the 1998 Starwood acquisition? Did it have elite tiers? Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Is this the old Sheraton Club? Can't remember if there were tiers or not TBH. I remember when Starwood took them over I lost everything in term of nights etc :-(
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
The pre-cursor to the Starwood loyalty program was the ITT Sheraton Club International program. It did have tiers but I don't remember the specifics.

You could earn at all three Sheraton-affiliated brands: Luxury Collection, Sheraton Hotels, Four Points by Sheraton.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was a member but I don't remember anything about tiers or indeed any benefits I received other than my "historic" number transferring over to SPG before being Bonvoyed away from me.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:25 pm

Seems like they had Basic and Gold tiers, https://money.cnn.com/1998/03/04/tra...avel_sheraton/ Gold required 4 stays or $50.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Seems like they had Basic and Gold tiers, https://money.cnn.com/1998/03/04/tra...avel_sheraton/ Gold required 4 stays or $50.
This supports what I recall
I remember being in what I thought was the Sheraton Club Int'l Program
4 stays for Gold
I was going to Houston in the 90's for work and stayed at the same Sheraton and got Gold after my 4th stay
This eventually turned into the Starwood program - What I am forgetting is was there something between SCI and Starwood/SPG

Somewhere along the line - was it SPG? - when all the other brands became part of the earning process?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:32 pm

Yes, Sheraton Club and Westin as well. All recognition disappeared with the introduction of SPG ( I’m guessing that happened in 1998 as that’s when my SPG membership appears to date from...). Imagine the angst today in the event a program was bought out but the new owners declined to offer continuity...
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I don't know what you mean by "all recognition disappeared with the introduction of SPG". I distinctly remember them announcing the new program and how they'd continue to recognize people at an elite level commensurate with what they held in the old programs. As a Sheraton gold and Westin burgundy (middle tier) I was certainly expecting SPG plat. Imagine my disappointment to get SPG gold, the first of many disappointments with that program. I know others loved it; it never worked as advertised for me. But they did make an effort to continue recognition from the precursor programs when SPG was rolled out.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, I had both a Sheraton and Westin account prior to SPG.
I believe my Westin account was " top-tier", but not my Sheraton.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:03 am
Community Director Emerita

Here's our forum about the Sheraton Club International:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sher...5&daysprune=-1

And Westin Premier:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west...5&daysprune=-1
DELee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.