Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott.com "bad request" ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Marriott.com "bad request" ???

Maybe this is a tech thing that I'm doing wrong, but for weeks now, when I go to marriott.com, I get the following:

400 Bad request

Your browser sent an invalid request.

I am navigating in and out of dozens of websites all day, so my browser (Chrome) is not being naughty, except apparently as it pertains to interacting with marriott.com. This happened on and off a while back during the changeover to Bonvoy if memory serves. Anyone else having this issue, or more importantly, know how to fix it?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

BTW, Marriott says it's not them.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:41 pm

It's very likely an issue on your side and there could be multiple reasons for this happening.

As a first step I'd just clear the cache/cookies and/or use incognito mode (ctrl+shift+n) to see if it works there.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Is there any chance you're behind a VPN or some kind of corporate system? I've noticed marriott.com has issues with anything encrypted and is a bit dodgy on non-US logins in general at times.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I spent over 2 hours the other day trying to book a stay. I tried the app, website with multiple browsers and devices. I reached book now stage but the tab wouldn't work when I clicked. About 40% of time this past year I can't book anything or search pricing.

So I called Marriott. I had to call 3 separate times as the CS agents, though friendly, were unable to book anything. The last one who helped said the IT systems are a mess.

I don't think, OP, it is you. I've tried w and without VPN, erasing cache, all kinds of things. It barely works for me. Drives me crazy so I have had to reduce stays this year. Only 33 so far (normally I'm around 100 by this time of year). I'm blowing through 450, 000 points over Christmas and then...

The most stable for me is an old Mac using chrome as fyi.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:42 pm

This is a vast oversimplification, but most errors in the 400s are client-side problems. Anything in the 500s are server-side problems. Client-side means the problem is with your browser, computer, or one of the systems used to route your request to Marriott's server (like DNS servers that are run by multiple entities). Server-side means the problem is created by the Marriott server.

Strictly speaking, Marriott's techs are wrong in saying it's not their problem. By definition, an 400 code means the problem isn't on their side. Since you're not getting any "I'm having the same problem today" responses here, I'd bet the problem really is on your end.

Something as insignificant as having a browser plugin automatically updated behind the scenes might the source. If that's the source, finding it will be a huge pain, especially if you have multiple plugins. I'd start with Pota's suggestion of clearing cache/cookies and then trying private mode on various browsers.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks Pota. I did clear the cache, and still get the same "bad request" error. :/
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Unrelated, but a tech question nonetheless. Smooth sailing logging in until six weeks ago on laptop. Where membership number had been locked in, there is now a different number 222****** that cannot be removed or changed. No problem with their app, just the laptop. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.