Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Housekeeper Didn’t Take the Tip I Left?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

Currently staying at the WDW Dolphin. Left a $5 tip (singles, didn’t have a five) on my pillow this morning and headed down to breakfast. The housekeeper happened to be just outside my room and asked if I’d like it serviced and I said sure. Returned to my room after breakfast and the $5 was sitting neatly on the bedside table! Fortunately the housekeeper (same one) was just down the hall, so I went down to her and told her it was her her. She seemed surprised and said she didn’t know that and thanked me.

anyone ever have that happen? Strange.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Currently staying at the WDW Dolphin. Left a $5 tip (singles, didn’t have a five) on my pillow this morning and headed down to breakfast. The housekeeper happened to be just outside my room and asked if I’d like it serviced and I said sure. Returned to my room after breakfast and the $5 was sitting neatly on the bedside table! Fortunately the housekeeper (same one) was just down the hall, so I went down to her and told her it was her her. She seemed surprised and said she didn’t know that and thanked me.

anyone ever have that happen? Strange.
It happens to me a lot. Now, I usually leave a note saying, "Tip," by the money. I have had some coworkers that actually complained when they left change out, and the housekeeper picked it up thinking it was a tip. I am sure that only has to happen to a housekeeper once before they are hesitant to pick up money from a room even when it is a legit tip.
writerguyfl and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
After something similar happened several years ago, I always leave a quick note with the tip that says "Housekeeping - thank you" or something similar.
dtremit, dw, writerguyfl and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
An employee took something from the room can be considered stealing, which may lead to termination and/or arrest.

My guess is the housekeeper played it safe. It is better to lose $5 than the job.

OP - if you were nice enough, left a note or gave the housekeeper the tip yourself.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaunts
It happens to me a lot. Now, I usually leave a note saying, "Tip," by the money. I have had some coworkers that actually complained when they left change out, and the housekeeper picked it up thinking it was a tip. I am sure that only has to happen to a housekeeper once before they are hesitant to pick up money from a room even when it is a legit tip.
This. Most hotels now have policies that housekeeping should only take money if clearly marked as a tip. In fact some provide envelopes for this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:46 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I usually use the notepad to write "thank you" or "tip" or something like that next to any tip money that I leave, usually on the desk or dresser, to make it clear. (Or use the envelope provided at some properties).
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:15 pm

Does this issue really require two separate threads?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
In Japan, it always happens to me. No matter how I tried to leave them a tip. They just refused it politely. Some staff may accecpt tip but those are NOT japanese.

I wish the rest of the world would be like Japan.
dimon84 and JBord like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
In Japan, it always happens to me. No matter how I tried to leave them a tip. They just refused it politely.
AFAICT - tipping in Japan is considered an insult.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
There's always a pad of paper and pen by the phone. I always write a note with my room number in the upper right corner. Housekeeper / Thanks and leave the tip on top of the note. I also would never leave the tip on the bed in today's PC society. I usually leave it on a table so that it is the first thing I see when I return to the room. It's nice to open that door and see the tip gone and know the room has been serviced!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
AFAICT - tipping in Japan is considered an insult.
This.

There are also countries where tipping is NOT a custom. Australia and New Zealand for example. Even in Europe and UK, tips usually just are rounding up of payments not an expected amount like in US where the pay scheme of servicing industry makes the tips a good part of the workers income, and has become a source of complaint by many international visitors whose countries dont have such worker compensation system.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by cawhite
After something similar happened several years ago, I always leave a quick note with the tip that says "Housekeeping - thank you" or something similar.
This is what we do, but we put it in an envelope.

GC
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:31 pm

Happened to me once.

I left money in the middle of the desk that (to me) was clearly a tip. Nothing else on the desk, bills together, etc.

And they were still there in the evening when I got back.

Most Marriotts now have that open "envelope" the size of a bill. Renis have an envelope that holds a bill folded into quarters with a "tip" for me on it like, "use club soda to get out wine stains", or something like that.

Can't remember any others, but if you leave it in a place where it doesn't look like an accident, I have found the usually take it.

I do like the note idea though, and in the future, if there's nothing provided, I think that's the way to go.

I have also gotten handwritten thank you notes from them, which is a nice touch, I think.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite
That's verbatim what I do -- fold the bill(s) into the note. A quick written 'thank you' makes things more personal, too, as a bit of a nice touch.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Does this issue really require two separate threads?
OP accidentally posted a duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.