Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Who, What or How are reward points posted [MAJOR FAULT IN MARRIOTT SYSTEMS?]

Who, What or How are reward points posted [MAJOR FAULT IN MARRIOTT SYSTEMS?]

Old Oct 31, 19, 10:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation Who, What or How are reward points posted [MAJOR FAULT IN MARRIOTT SYSTEMS?]

I received a very low amount of points recently after 1 night stay in the UK so a questioned it with Marriott support.
After getting 999 for my total, including a 500 gift, they told me it looks wrong. I'm in the UK.
They took my folio and after a day I received, 3000.
On further investigation it seems all my 15 stays at this property since 2017 are posted incorrectly.
They are now going through them all to get them updated. They have assured me that they will speak to the Hotel and train them on correctly posting points, and fix the "Major" fault in the system.

My Question would be:- Does the hotel calculate the points or is it done automatically, the way the email was worded is the Hotel have some sort of say in the amount of points, hence why they have been posting in correctly. I would of thought the value of my stay and detaisl were sent to the rewards program for them to give me my points?

Can someone tell me how to work this out, is it the base rate including VAT converted to USD times 10 or 5 depending on the property?
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by port21 View Post
I received a very low amount of points recently after 1 night stay in the UK so a questioned it with Marriott support.
After getting 999 for my total, including a 500 gift, they told me it looks wrong. I'm in the UK.
They took my folio and after a day I received, 3000.
On further investigation it seems all my 15 stays at this property since 2017 are posted incorrectly.
They are now going through them all to get them updated. They have assured me that they will speak to the Hotel and train them on correctly posting points, and fix the "Major" fault in the system.

My Question would be:- Does the hotel calculate the points or is it done automatically, the way the email was worded is the Hotel have some sort of say in the amount of points, hence why they have been posting in correctly. I would of thought the value of my stay and detaisl were sent to the rewards program for them to give me my points?

Can someone tell me how to work this out, is it the base rate including VAT converted to USD times 10 or 5 depending on the property?

Seems to be a UK problem (even though I've had no issues). Lots of posts on the subject. Most recent one was 3 days ago.

285 points for one night?
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:04 am

Marriottís system should be able to sort all final invoices hotels process and automatically detect which expenses are eligible for points and determine the amount of points to award. The IT system is far from
perfect and Iím sure there are several bugs in these processes.

However, more often than not, certain properties may have coded room rates and/or incidentals incorrectly, making the system flag them as ineligible for points. This, of course, may happen due to poor training and lack of proper understanding of how the program works or as a deliberate way for the property to cut costs by paying less to Marriott.
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
No. IME it is the VAT inclusive room rate less the amount representing the 21% VAT so the VAT inclusive room rate divided by 1.21. When I use that number it usually comes close to being what's posted, which varies slightly based on prevailing FX rates at the time. There are still problematic properties throughout the world and when I run into one of those I just call up Marriott, FAX/email the folio and have it corrected.

At most properties one earns 10 points per USD spent excluding taxes and fees with the exception of RI, TPS and Element which are 5 points per USD spent, and MEA and Execustay which are 2.5 points per USD spent. Also at most full service properties you also earn points for hotel incidentals with the exception of concessions (contracted out Spas, parking, etc.).
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by aaupgrade View Post
No. IME it is the VAT inclusive room rate less the amount representing the 21% VAT so the VAT inclusive room rate divided by 1.21. When I use that number it usually comes close to being what's posted, which varies slightly based on prevailing FX rates at the time. There are still problematic properties throughout the world and when I run into one of those I just call up Marriott, FAX/email the folio and have it corrected.
That might be the issue. Maybe people don't realize the UK price includes VAT? But we don't get the same complaints about Australia. Their prices include the taxes and the currency is significantly lower than the USD.

I keep a spreadsheet for all my stays (I have zero confidence in Marriott and their IT department), and I fill it out before the stay to calculate how many points I should get (after I back out the taxes and do the currency conversion). Maybe that's why I've had no issues with my UK stays? I also have columns for any promos, MAGC, BRG pts, etc. When the stay posts, it's very easy to see if something went wrong, and where it doesn't jive or if the stay didn't post at all!
Old Oct 31, 19, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So If I stay in a room at a Brand Marriott and pay £100 per night that's £80 and £20 VAT.

100 x 1.20 = 120
120 x 10 is 1200
1200 + Tier + Gift

Is that generally correct?
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:13 pm

So If I stay in a room at a Brand Marriott and pay £100 per night that's £80 and £20 VAT.

100 x 1.20 = 120
120 x 10 is 1200
1200 + Tier + Gift

should be:
£80 x some awful exchange rate say 1.20 = $96
$96 x 10 (or 5 depending on brand) = 960
960 + tier + gift
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Iím staying at Marriott much less than before so I have a lower sample size, but of my last 5 stays (all non-US) 4 have been wrong and the last one I only had a few points worth and it looked like it could be a bit low, but I wasnít going to complain over a 1/100th of a room.

What have people found is the best way to address these? Is the old SPG research team still around and reachable somewhere? I need to begin to make post-Ambassador arrangements.
Old Oct 31, 19, 1:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Iím staying at Marriott much less than before so I have a lower sample size, but of my last 5 stays (all non-US) 4 have been wrong and the last one I only had a few points worth and it looked like it could be a bit low, but I wasnít going to complain over a 1/100th of a room.

What have people found is the best way to address these? Is the old SPG research team still around and reachable somewhere? I need to begin to make post-Ambassador arrangements.
Email: [email protected]
2 hours later it was fixed.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold

100 x 1.20 = 120
120 x 10 is 1200
1200 + Tier + Gift

If you paid a total of £ 100 for the room inclusive of 20% vat then the actual rate eligble would be £ 83.33 (100/1.2) This would then be converted to USD at the current exchange rate. This becomes the base amoount.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
That might be the issue. Maybe people don't realize the UK price includes VAT? But we don't get the same complaints about Australia. Their prices include the taxes and the currency is significantly lower than the USD.

I keep a spreadsheet for all my stays (I have zero confidence in Marriott and their IT department), and I fill it out before the stay to calculate how many points I should get (after I back out the taxes and do the currency conversion). Maybe that's why I've had no issues with my UK stays? I also have columns for any promos, MAGC, BRG pts, etc. When the stay posts, it's very easy to see if something went wrong, and where it doesn't jive or if the stay didn't post at all!
Australia properties backed out the VAT then converted the AUD to USD to calculate the pts earned. The AUD is at about 0.70 to USD, slightly lower than CAD which is 0.75+ to USD.

All our recent stays in Australia seem to post correctly judged by the ballpark figures. I dont bother to drill into the nuisance on how much was the VAT or the exchange rates used, given the points seem to come very close to what I expect within 100 pts, that is good enough to me.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bon Titanium, Accor Platinum (former IHG Plat Ambass - quit after 13 years)
I have had this problem (base points way too low) with 2 different hotels in the UK.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Oct 31, 19 at 5:28 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: