FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Calgary (including airport, YYC) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1993531-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-near-calgary-including-airport-yyc.html)

BobMiller May 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Calgary (including airport, YYC)

Have a late arrival in YYC (Calgary) on a Saturday night. Prefer to bunk at an airport hotel that night. Prefer to stay on-site, so that means either the Marriott or the Delta. I've read conflicting reviews/information on the two.

Is either to be preferred? either to be avoided?

Thanks for your thoughts

zoqfotpik May 18, 2018 2:54 am

They are both conveniently located in the airport. Marriott is actually inside the terminal so you're a few steps closer to security while Delta is across the street. If you like newer furnishing, view of the apron and lounge access go with Marriott. If you're booking with points, book Delta as it costs less points (cat 4 vs cat 5). It's also a bit cheaper when you pay with cash, but not by much.

KDS777 May 19, 2018 9:38 am

Marriot = new

Delta = old

If you are an aviation buff and want a runway facing room with a view you choose the Marriot.

BobMiller May 19, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I had researched these two hotels a couple years ago for a trip that didn't come to fruition and it seemed at that time that the Marriott was older and run-down and Delta was preferred. Seems that there is a new Marriott there now so that changes things.

In the end I went with the Delta as it was a bit cheaper. And this stay is only for the convenience after arriving at 10 PM (midnight my time) and then leaving the next morning up to Red Deer. The Marriott would have been nice as we'd not "have to walk across the street" ...1st world problem, lol. Oh, yes, I recall that I picked the Delta as for the particular date the rate was considerably less than the Marriott. If they'd been closer I might have picked the Marriott for being new and inside the terminal.

As an aside, I took advantage of the link on the confirmation email to get a Hertz rental through Marriott/Delta. The rate for a week was really attractive and I believe saved me about $200 Cdn versus Travelocity, et al, and the Hertz site direct.

Again, thank you all for the tips.

KDS777 May 19, 2018 7:14 pm

The Marriot at YYC we are discussing is a new property that was just built in conjunction with the new international terminal.

Your internet info is probably referring to an older Marriot branded location.

Antonio8069 Jun 17, 2018 6:30 pm

milking this announcement

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29772774)
The Marriot at YYC we are discussing is a new property that was just built in conjunction with the new international terminal.

Your internet info is probably referring to an older Marriot branded location.

Talk about milking an announcement! Delta Hotels & Resorts announced this property back in 2014:

Delta Plots New Property at Calgary International Airport - Hotelier Magazine

BobMiller Jan 8, 2019 10:08 pm

Update: for that trip we stayed in the Delta on arrival, then a week later stayed at the new Marriott (the vagaries of the dates meant that the Marriott was cheaper for that night). Much preferred the Marriott. It's newer, rooms are nicer, it's inside the terminal and it's a short walk to the US terminal. OTOH, I recall liking the Delta lobby better....it was nicely updated and seemed more comfy/cozy.

Just spent 3.5 weeks in Alberta and again stayed at the Marriott on the first and last nights due to arrival/departure times. I recommend it unless cost is an issue in which case the local airport hotels are somewhat cheaper but not as convenient.

YXUFlyboy Jan 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Marriott much nicer but can be quite a bit more money.... if Delta is much cheaper I will stay there.

YogiB Jul 9, 2019 11:10 am

@BobMiller: did you get any club lounge experience at either hotels? I'm reading the Delta has no lounge?

With YYC having no recommendable airport lounges, I'm looking at maybe taking a room to chill between my 4PM arrival and 1:15AM departure. As a Titanium member with Marriott, having lounge access for food and drinks will make it more interesting.

BobMiller Jul 9, 2019 11:38 am

Yogi,

We've stayed once in the Delta, which is older, (and Delta is owned by Marriott) and stayed 3 times in the new Marriott. My experience was that pricing is variable and the first time the Marriott was actually cheaper than the Delta. The Mariott rooms are much better than Delta; Delta rooms are old.

I was last in the Marriott this past January. I don't really care for the lounge areas there. I didn't spend much time in the lobby of the Delta but it struck me as a lot more friendly and possibly more facilities (?) than the Marriott. There are "meals" that are cold and the guy at the bar will put them in the micro for you...and once that was done the sandwiches were quite good actually.

You could walk into the lobby of the Marriott and check it out, then go down to the Delta to see if it's any better for you.

Good luck

Originally Posted by YogiB (Post 31285754)
@BobMiller: did you get any club lounge experience at either hotels? I'm reading the Delta has no lounge?

With YYC having no recommendable airport lounges, I'm looking at maybe taking a room to chill between my 4PM arrival and 1:15AM departure. As a Titanium member with Marriott, having lounge access for food and drinks will make it more interesting.

YogiB Jul 9, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply Bob, however, I wasn't talking about the "lounge areas" in the lobbies. Full service hotels generally have a special lounge for elite members of their loyalty programs (and often people paying for suites) which serves complimentary breakfast and evening snacks (outside of North America often even offers free alcohol). Hence that it can be a huge benefit. ;)

JimInOhio Jul 11, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by YogiB (Post 31285905)
Thanks for the reply Bob, however, I wasn't talking about the "lounge areas" in the lobbies. Full service hotels generally have a special lounge for elite members of their loyalty programs (and often people paying for suites) which serves complimentary breakfast and evening snacks (outside of North America often even offers free alcohol). Hence that it can be a huge benefit. ;)

The Marriott club lounge on the 8th floor is fairly nice (was just there yesterday, in fact). For breakfast, they even have an orange juice machine that takes fresh oranges. I've stayed there several times and like it. Stayed once at the Delta and didn't care to go back.

schriste Jul 20, 2019 10:08 am

Another vote for the Marriott. Stayed back in March for a night. The club lounge was well above average for food (ok for space and ambiance). Pleasant staff. Rooms ok and new, but the decor is very bland with somewhat uncomfortable furniture. Bed good. Bathroom nice enough.

l etoile Jul 22, 2019 2:04 pm

As both properties are part of Marriott, please follow this in that forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator

ryw Jul 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Delta doesn't have a concierge lounge; platinum and higher members get breakfast in the lobby restaurant. (When I went in September 2018, I got the full breakfast buffet). That said the Delta hotel and its rooms are somewhat dated, and you'll technically have to walk outside across the street to it, whereas the Marriott entrance is within the main terminal building. I chose the Delta during my stay because it was significantly cheaper during my dates, and I was arriving late at night for a 1 night stay, so the lounge wasn't a big concern for me.