FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Who can book STAR and LUMINOUS rates? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1992120-who-can-book-star-luminous-rates.html)

theOtherHolmes Oct 20, 19 3:17 pm

Who can book STAR and LUMINOUS rates?

I find it incredibly frustrating that we as members canít just book the star / luminous rates. I mean.. why the necessity for a travel agent, unless Marriott is getting PAID FROM the travel agencies when a booking is made? (Which of course doesnít make sense)

Anyway, does anyone have a good TA recommendation for booking the star/ luminous rates?

nexusCFX Oct 20, 19 5:00 pm

There are TAs on this forum who can book them. I usually book Virtuoso rates through the travel group run by DavidO to support another FT member.

The JPMorgan concierge service can also book them.

mahasamatman Oct 20, 19 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31648945)
why the necessity for a travel agent, unless Marriott is getting PAID FROM the travel agencies when a booking is made? (Which of course doesnít make sense)

Why doesn't it make sense? TAs frequently steer customers towards certain hotels/chains. These agents have a contract with Marriott to offer exclusive rates.

theOtherHolmes Oct 20, 19 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31649419)
Why doesn't it make sense? TAs frequently steer customers towards certain hotels/chains. These agents have a contract with Marriott to offer exclusive rates.

Actually thatís true, I take back what I said. It does make sense. Just itís so hard to find someone who can book it.. after all Iím a low rev kinda of gal in terms of booking cash rate.

Ripley62 Oct 21, 19 6:29 am

Isnít classicTravel.com the online portal for Virtuoso they have a pull down for Star and Luminous hotel bookings

theOtherHolmes Oct 21, 19 8:18 am

I called Classic Travel and was able to book under Luminous. Pretty cool.

Intl359Widget Oct 21, 19 8:48 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31648945)
I find it incredibly frustrating that we as members canít just book the star / luminous rates. I mean.. why the necessity for a travel agent, unless Marriott is getting PAID FROM the travel agencies when a booking is made? (Which of course doesnít make sense)

Anyway, does anyone have a good TA recommendation for booking the star/ luminous rates?

Okay, I'll bite.

What are the STAR and LUMINOUS rates?

Ripley62 Oct 21, 19 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget (Post 31651031)
Okay, I'll bite.

They're Marriott programs for full service travel agencies

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 19 8:50 am

It's the reverse, with the travel agent being paid a commission by the hotel, although AFAIK the hotel would also pay commissions to Starriott for reservations made through the Marriott website or Marriott phone/reservation agents.

Beltway2A Oct 21, 19 8:53 am

I believe most (if not every) agent who previously had access to the SPG Luxury Privileges rates have access to the new STAR and Luminous programs.

I've started booking with DavidO 's group, but prior to that WhatAHotel offered the capability to book SPG Luxury Privileges online. I'm not sure if they've since updated with the ability to book the new rates as well.

theOtherHolmes Oct 21, 19 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget (Post 31651031)
Okay, I'll bite.

Near identical benefits as FHR and Virtuoso, with allegedly higher upgrade priority than FHR and Virtuoso since itís Marriotts own luxury program.

My booking includes free breakfast for two and $100 dining creditsó the hotel/ resort I booked doesnít give free breakfast to elite members.

Collierkr Oct 21, 19 9:50 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 31651115)
Near identical benefits as FHR and Virtuoso, with allegedly higher upgrade priority than FHR and Virtuoso since itís Marriotts own luxury program.

My booking includes free breakfast for two and $100 dining creditsó the hotel/ resort I booked doesnít give free breakfast to elite members.

And for that luxury Iím thinking you paid a higher rate as Marriott guarantees lowest rates when booking direct, no?

theOtherHolmes Oct 21, 19 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 31651251)
And for that luxury Iím thinking you paid a higher rate as Marriott guarantees lowest rates when booking direct, no?

No, itís the standard flexible rate (ie not prepaid nor other promotion). Itís just not bookable by members direct if member is not authorized travel agent.

rstidolph Oct 21, 19 3:38 pm

Are you still entitled to all benefits, nights and points?

TGLoyalty Oct 21, 19 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by rstidolph (Post 31652517)
Are you still entitled to all benefits, nights and points?

yep considered a Marriott channel booking.