Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Watch out for sneaky 14 day cancellation policy

Watch out for sneaky 14 day cancellation policy

Old Oct 21, 19, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I hope that anyone roundly condemning the OP reads all the terms of reference for all the software they buy, or they risk being hypocritical.
It's not about reading or not reading the terms; that's everyone's choice. It's complaining about the terms and conditions after one chooses not to read them.

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Not only marriott - recently i came across a couple hilton hotels with "best available" rate being non refundable. Only builds distrust in brand imo...
Why? Doesn't "best available rate" imply cheapest? And isn't it the cheapest rates which have the most restrictive terms?

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
I get the feeling that "it's all the OPs fault for not reading the cancellation policy" is being used in the same way that Boeing were initially using "it's the pilots fault for not reading the manual" in the 737MAX cases.
That's completely inapposite. The Boeing situation is infinitely more complex if we're trying to assign blame/fault/responsibility.

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You quickly glance at it, missing that the 1 day you usually always see instead says 14. It's called expectancy. You read it over and over, always seeing 1. You see 14, but as nothing stands out, your brain expects to see 1 and thus processes it as 1.
And it's been exacerbated by word processing and the use of "boilerplate" language. I'm a divorce lawyer, and write a lot of lengthy (>50 pages) agreements. While much of the language is used repeatedly, and thus might be termed boilerplate, I read every word every time. If I didn't, it would be malpractice.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Any reservation should state the cancellation policy clearly and precisely, in writing
I was going to say that Marriott fails that test every time, because their standard language ("at least two days prior to arrival") was hopelessly ambiguous as to when, precisely, you had to cancel to avoid penalty.

But then I looked at my current reservations on the app, and lo and behold, they now give a specific date and time - e.g., "11:59 p.m., hotel time, on Nov. 1, 2019." This is IMO a major positive change ^
controller1 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold / mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
exactly. Nothing sneaky here. The OP neglected to read the cancellation policy. Case closed.
I think the case made by OP was to pay attention to that which he failed to pay attention. Point.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Any reservation should state the cancellation policy clearly and precisely, in writing, and this should be included not only in the original email confirmation but in every reminder "get ready for your stay" email sent later.
Unfortunately, in my case at least, the confirmation email didn’t say anything about it being a prepaid non refundable rate, only that it can be cancelled for free X days before arrival. The non refundable bit was only on the website/app and in the hotel system which I was sent a screenshot of.

Marriott nor the hotel would concede that there was anything wrong on their part.

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Oct 22, 19 at 4:41 am
Old Oct 22, 19, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer View Post
Unfortunately, in my case at least, the confirmation email didn’t say anything about it being a prepaid non refundable rate, only that it can be cancelled for free X days before arrival. The non refundable bit was only on the website/app and in the hotel system which I was sent a screenshot of.

Marriott nor the hotel would concede that there was anything wrong on their part.
Did they offer a credit? I would file a small claims case or credit card dispute. (Pointing out it says can be cancelled for free till X day)
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, but that's a different issue.

In recent years, it's become quite common for properties to increase their cancel periods on so-called "flexible" rates to 72 hours, 7 days, 14 days, or even longer. Caveat emptor.
I have seen 30 days and 60 days on just regular periods, no festival nor event.

The cancellation policy is very clearly displayed, in multiple places during the process of making reservation and before you press that Book button.

I honestly why people don’t want to take responsibility on things they themselves messed up either by carelessness or by false assumption. How in this days and age can anyone still makes assumption on the notion of Fexible always means they can cancel at anytime up to a day before arrival when all chains, especially for properties in the US have changed to 48 to 72 hours since 2 or more years ago?

For those mentioned about airfares, they should know to always read the fare rules and don’t assume refundable fare always mean 100% refund without penalty. Just sayin.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You quickly glance at it, missing that the 1 day you usually always see instead says 14. It's called expectancy. You read it over and over, always seeing 1. You see 14, but as nothing stands out, your brain expects to see 1 and thus processes it as 1.
So That becomes other people’s fault not to warn you loud enough so you don’t commit a mistake by not read it carefully / make false assumption?
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

To me, the terms in the emailed confirmation are definitive. We've seen examples where the online reservation terms have mysteriously changed without notification long after the reservation was made. OTOH, since the merger, I've been trying to make reservations when and where I can print the details as I go. If this isn't possible, I'm much more likely to make a reservation with a different chain.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
So That becomes other people’s fault not to warn you loud enough so you don’t commit a mistake by not read it carefully / make false assumption?
All it takes is having an exclamation mark (such as appears when selecting a prepaid/no cancel rate). Let's you know, hey take a look something is different.
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:27 am

All it takes is having an exclamation mark (such as appears when selecting a prepaid/no cancel rate). Let's you know, hey take a look something is different.
By the logic of “quickly glance,” having an exclamation mark will do nothing if you only “want” to see 1 day instead of 14.
Old Oct 22, 19, 8:15 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
In my 20+ years of staying at hotels I’ve only been caught out once by the cancellation policy and that was very recently with Marriott. The wording has become unclear and contradictory ie don’t say that you can cancel for free X days before arrival but in the next sentence say that it’s a prepaid non refundable rate.
Now, that is sneaky.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by myperks View Post
By the logic of “quickly glance,” having an exclamation mark will do nothing if you only “want” to see 1 day instead of 14.
A bright orange (color it uses) circle with an exclamation mark sticks out. I agree just a regular exclamation mark by itself likely might be missed. As used for prepaid, it ques your brain in that something needs to be looked at closely.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: