Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Watch out for sneaky 14 day cancellation policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watch out for sneaky 14 day cancellation policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I maintain the general assumption that "flexible" rates mean that I can cancel a normal city type hotel up to the last day or two before the trip.
There is an old saying about what happens when you assume. I recommend you heed the advice.
Happy, Newman and Twickenham like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
All of this is reflected in the room rates, so it's not necessarily pro-consumer to have 100% flexibility and high rates.
It seem pretty obvious that people who want to book flexible rates and then go ahead and book flexible rates probably want a flexible rate. I also see no evidence for what you're suggesting here which is that companies have decided only to offer cheaper inflexible rates that they call flexible. That would really make no sense in a pricing strategy.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
In my 20+ years of staying at hotels I’ve only been caught out once by the cancellation policy and that was very recently with Marriott. The wording has become unclear and contradictory ie don’t say that you can cancel for free X days before arrival but in the next sentence say that it’s a prepaid non refundable rate.
Tanic, flyerCO and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It seem pretty obvious that people who want to book flexible rates and then go ahead and book flexible rates probably want a flexible rate. I also see no evidence for what you're suggesting here which is that companies have decided only to offer cheaper inflexible rates that they call flexible. That would really make no sense in a pricing strategy.
I get the feeling that "it's all the OPs fault for not reading the cancellation policy" is being used in the same way that Boeing were initially using "it's the pilots fault for not reading the manual" in the 737MAX cases.

Like most behavioural stuff, this one is not 100% black and white, and there are other, less-tangible factors here which come into play which condition users to skip over checking the cancellation policy.

When you book online, historically rates have always been presented separately on "Flexible", "Prepaid" and maybe also "Package" tabs. "Flexible" rates were always cancellable to within a day or two of the stay.

Marriott have quietly renamed the "Flexible" tab to be "Standard", and also changed it's function so that it now also contains rates with significantly more restrictive cancellation policies. It's not surprising at all that a few experienced users haven't noticed this, and so don't pay particular attention to the cancellation policy when choosing rates listed on this tab.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You continue to presume that there is some magic to "24 hours". A room which cannot be cancelled up until check-in is not flexible. But, because it used to be 24 hours doesn't make it so today.

Back in the day, my British friends used to rant about coming to the States and not having a full breakfast included because that is what "all room rates" include.
Newman and writerguyfl like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I get the feeling that "it's all the OPs fault for not reading the cancellation policy" is being used in the same way that Boeing were initially using "it's the pilots fault for not reading the manual" in the 737MAX cases.
That analogy is far from perfect. Not only because, contrary to a hotel guest, it is the pilot’s job to be duly informed about all the minutia regarding the plane he’s flying but mostly because Boeing applied for, and was granted by the FAA, a waiver from including any mention to the new software in the 737MAX’s operating manual.

More to the point, though, cancellation policies are clearly displayed on every search, at least twice before completing the booking (once by looking up “rate details” and again on the final confirmation page in a clearly marked text box).

A minimum due diligence is required for anything in life, even to cross a street. Booking a hotel should be no different. Rates and booking policies change often and having a look at the cancellation policies before clicking to finalize a booking takes 20 seconds at the most.

OP should take this experience as a lesson learned and be a tiny bit more proactive and attentive when booking hotels in the future.
Newman and Twickenham like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
???

You must have really wanted to use an analogy to have come up with that one which is not quite equal. One not reading a cancellation policy is placing only himself at risk and then only monetarily. A pilot not reading the manual is placing hundreds (or thousands with multiple flights) at risk and then it is risk of death.

As has been pointed out, the OP was provided the cancellation policy multiple times prior to confirming the reservation. OP elected to not read the policy and therefore accepted the risk of such behavior.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
In my 20+ years of staying at hotels I’ve only been caught out once by the cancellation policy and that was very recently with Marriott. The wording has become unclear and contradictory ie don’t say that you can cancel for free X days before arrival but in the next sentence say that it’s a prepaid non refundable rate.
This drives me crazy. I've actually argued (successfully) to cancel some of these. Even the hotel manager agreed its deceptive. Luckily I use Hilton for most my bookings. I much prefer the way they provide details.
MaxFlyer and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
How does anyone miss the cancellation policy - granted, I don't normally book on the Bonvoy app since I use a different system for work, but I just did a trial booking on the app and its very clear, at least to me, how many days and when you can cancel
Happy and Newman like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How does anyone miss the cancellation policy - granted, I don't normally book on the Bonvoy app since I use a different system for work, but I just did a trial booking on the app and its very clear, at least to me, how many days and when you can cancel
You quickly glance at it, missing that the 1 day you usually always see instead says 14. It's called expectancy. You read it over and over, always seeing 1. You see 14, but as nothing stands out, your brain expects to see 1 and thus processes it as 1.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
One solution would be to offer 24-hr cancellation policy like airline tickets. It would help in some situations.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
One solution would be to offer 24-hr cancellation policy like airline tickets. It would help in some situations.
Doesn't Starriott already do this for most nonrefundable reservations?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't Starriott already do this for most nonrefundable reservations?
Yes, many nonrefundable have the clause that it is nonrefundable if cancelled more than one day after booking the reservation.

However, I seriously doubt that someone who elects not to carefully read the cancellation policy when it is presented twice prior to booking is going to read it within 24 hours of booking the reservation.
Happy and Newman like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Yes, but that's a different issue.

In recent years, it's become quite common for properties to increase their cancel periods on so-called "flexible" rates to 72 hours, 7 days, 14 days, or even longer. Caveat emptor.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any reservation should state the cancellation policy clearly and precisely, in writing, and this should be included not only in the original email confirmation but in every reminder "get ready for your stay" email sent later.
lexdevil likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.