Wiki Posts
Search

Travel rate - no points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Travel rate - no points

Hello

I did come to BonVoy being lifetime PLAT member under former SPG program.

I do frequently use travek (TVL) rate and previously earned both nights and points.

Today I was told by a hotel that under new TnR this is no
longer applies and general travel rate does not gain
points at all.

anyone else heard this or can confirm?

I work for an airline and therefore used the TVL code quite often...

thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Timo Eckardt!

I've never heard of Travek, but if it's considered a travel industry rate, I'm not surprised that there's no earning there.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, Timo Eckardt!

I've never heard of Travek, but if it's considered a travel industry rate, I'm not surprised that there's no earning there.
It's a typo, K and L are adjacent on a QWERTY keyboard.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line, if it is a travel industry rate, you will not earn on it.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line, if it is a travel industry rate, you will not earn on it.
Fair enough as they get pretty swanky deals IIRC.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Fair enough as they get pretty swanky deals IIRC.
Not always ... I have seen where Z31/TVL is higher than the lowest BAR so these discounts are worthless in my opinion under the new Marriott whereas it was very useful under legacy SPG.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
OK then when they get super pricing book as a TA, when it's higher book direct and get points.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I wish they had a system similar to airlines (like for basic economy fares) where you could still earn credit for TVL rates, but just at a reduced rate (say, .5 night stay credit) instead of getting bupkus.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Welcome to FT, Timo, why dontcha stay awhile, make some friends, learn and share!

I wouldn't be surprised that TVL is taking away a benefit that other industry rates don't offer.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:30 pm

TVL Rate Points/Nights Earning

Hi all,

I've tried to do a Google search as well as FT search, however, answers appear to be from a few years ago and also reading conflicting reports. Does anyone know if the TVL rate earns points/nights credits to Bonvoy?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere recently, but I cannot find any accurate reports post-early 2018.

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Hi all,

I've tried to do a Google search as well as FT search, however, answers appear to be from a few years ago and also reading conflicting reports. Does anyone know if the TVL rate earns points/nights credits to Bonvoy?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere recently, but I cannot find any accurate reports post-early 2018.

Thanks!
As you may or may not be aware TVL/Z31 Rates are intended to be used for Airline/Travel Industry Employees (Hotels will ask for verification) and these rates are considered ineligible for accrual of status benefits (EQNs and Points).

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
As you may or may not be aware TVL/Z31 Rates are intended to be used for Airline/Travel Industry Employees (Hotels will ask for verification) and these rates are considered ineligible for accrual of status benefits (EQNs and Points).

I hope this helps.
Ah ok! Guess previous reports are incorrect then as I swear I read a post somewhere that nights have been awarded, perhaps it was a one-off IT error that worked in their favour at the time. If anyone else has knowledge supporting this, then please do let me know.

Yes for the record, OH works in the travel industry, so we would be able to utilise this rate if we wished (of course when we're staying together under her name) It was just a question of whether we should go for the currently running EZR rate or TVL rate as TVL marginally lower priced. However, if indeed no points or nights credit, then I guess the former would be more worthy.

Thank you.
Intl359Widget and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Dec 21, 2020 at 4:42 pm
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:52 pm

Ah ok! Guess previous reports are incorrect then as I swear I read a post somewhere that nights have been awarded, perhaps it was a one-off IT error that worked in their favour at the time. If anyone else has knowledge supporting this, then please do let me know.

Yes for the record, OH works in the travel industry, so we would be able to utilise this rate if we wished (of course when we're staying together under her name) It was just a question of whether we should go for the currently running EZR rate or TVL rate as TVL marginally lower priced. However, if indeed no points or nights credit, then I guess the former would be more worthy.

Thank you.
I've used the TVL rate once in my life and I am in the airline industry... never again after I was denied the EQN by Marriott and the savings were meager. I did notice that the hotel treated me quite shoddy with no elite recognition nor upgrade and when I inquired as to why. They mentioned the rate that I was on was "Airline Crew" and thus no benefits.

Caveat Emptor!
AirbusA350 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I've used the TVL rate once in my life and I am in the airline industry... never again after I was denied the EQN by Marriott and the savings were meager. I did notice that the hotel treated me quite shoddy with no elite recognition nor upgrade and when I inquired as to why. They mentioned the rate that I was on was "Airline Crew" and thus no benefits.

Caveat Emptor!
I guess YMMV again depending on the property. I do remember historically we used the TVL rate once but at that time we weren't even Bonvoy members (think it was called Rewards back then!) and we weren't clever enough and into this points/loyalty "game" (we only became woke to the airlines/hotels/Amex Platinum game from around late 2017 onwards). However, I vividly remember she wasn't asked for proof of rate even though we came all prepared with employer letterhead in addition to ID which we photocopied too! Bit over prepared for nothing as no one gave a monkeys or asked us anything! How "common" we were back then LOL!

On the other hand, Me and OH have frequently used the AL rate in Hilton and whilst it doesn't earn points/nights there either, it provided significant discounts in many instances but was always treated well as Hilton Gold and almost no reference was ever made to the rate. We probably did around 20 stays over the last 2 years using Hilton's equivalent rate and only once was she asked to show qualifying ID, in Warsaw of all places!
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by AirbusA350; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:02 pm

I guess YMMV again depending on the property. I do remember historically we used the TVL rate once but at that time we weren't even Bonvoy members (think it was called Rewards back then!) and we weren't clever enough and into this points/loyalty "game" (we only became woke to the airlines/hotels/Amex Platinum game from around late 2017 onwards). However, I vividly remember she wasn't asked for proof of rate even though we came all prepared with employer letterhead in addition to ID which we photocopied too! Bit over prepared for nothing as no one gave a monkeys or asked us anything! How "common" we were back then LOL!

On the other hand, Me and OH have frequently used the AL rate in Hilton and whilst it doesn't earn points/nights there either, it provided significant discounts in many instances but was always treated well as Hilton Gold and almost no reference was ever made to the rate. We probably did around 20 stays over the last 2 years using Hilton's equivalent rate and only once was she asked to show qualifying ID, in Warsaw of all places!
They are sticklers for proper documentation in Germany too in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.