Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will I get the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card if I have a CANADIAN Amex SPG ?

Will I get the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card if I have a CANADIAN Amex SPG ?

Old Oct 11, 19, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I'm moving to the US from Canada and I need to get a US Marriott Credit Card.

I'd like to know if I will get the bonus or will it get denied? I have a Canadian Amex SPG which was upgraded to the Bonvoy without request and I want to order the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless and get the 100,000 bonus points.

Last edited by tilhas; Oct 14, 19 at 9:09 am
Old Oct 14, 19, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Bump...Bump...
Old Oct 14, 19, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Moved to the Marriott forum where I think you'll get quicker help.
Old Oct 16, 19, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Hoping someone has experiance or can let me know before I apply.
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:31 am

Anybody has a referral link for the chase Bonvoy
Old Oct 20, 19, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Bump Bump
Old Oct 20, 19, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Apparently, nobody else has tried this. Since it sounds like you're going to get the card anyway, let us all know if you get the bonus. My guess is that you will since US and Canadian credit files are completely separate and Chase decides if you get the bonus or not.
Old Oct 21, 19, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
You should know as soon as you apply. When I applied for the Chase Visa (which I’ve never had before), I was told I wouldn’t be eligible for the bonus (since I have the SPG Amex).
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
You should know as soon as you apply. When I applied for the Chase Visa (which I’ve never had before), I was told I wouldn’t be eligible for the bonus (since I have the SPG Amex).
Who told you? Was it part of the sign up online?

I want to know if I should cancel my Canadian Amex and wait 30 days before ordering it. I don't want to miss the 100,000 points!
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by tilhas View Post
Who told you? Was it part of the sign up online?

I want to know if I should cancel my Canadian Amex and wait 30 days before ordering it. I don't want to miss the 100,000 points!
It was part of the online sign up. However I can tell you that I had the Cdn SPG Amex for many years (and still have it) when I applied for the US SPG Amex and was eligible for the sign up bonus. That was about 3 yrs ago.
Old Oct 21, 19, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
It was part of the online sign up. However I can tell you that I had the Cdn SPG Amex for many years (and still have it) when I applied for the US SPG Amex and was eligible for the sign up bonus. That was about 3 yrs ago.
3 years ago it was simplier and we didn't have all these rules
Is there someone at Chase that I can contact?
Old Oct 21, 19, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Is there someone at Chase that I can contact?
This is an edge case that nobody at Chase will be trained on. I place the odds of you finding someone who will actually know the answer at 10%. Whoever you contact will insist they know, but if you call five times, you will probably get five different answers.
Old Yesterday, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
This is an edge case that nobody at Chase will be trained on. I place the odds of you finding someone who will actually know the answer at 10%. Whoever you contact will insist they know, but if you call five times, you will probably get five different answers.
A perfectly honest answer LOL
But will the system automatically tell me when I'm applying? or i'll only find out after I do the min spend and never get the points?
Old Yesterday, 7:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
A perfectly honest answer LOL
But will the system automatically tell me when I'm applying? or i'll only find out after I do the min spend and never get the points?
surprisingly, the system told me that I was not eligible when applying. I would try and see.
Old Yesterday, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights View Post
surprisingly, the system told me that I was not eligible when applying. I would try and see.
Assume I won't be eligible because I currently OWN a Marriott Amex credit card. I would just need to close it, wait 30 days then apply for the Chase? Correct?

Keeping both Marriott Credit Cards won't give me two 15nights for status. I just lose the 100$ for 35,000night.

Search this Thread