Wiki Posts
Search

Confusing e-mail from Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Confusing e-mail from Marriott

Hi,

I used to be a Platinum member of Marriott. Because I did not stay enough days last year at any of the Marriotts, I got demoted this year to Gold status.

However, a couple of days ago I received an e-mail from Marriott telling me I have free access to the lounges.

This is odd because Gold members are not listed as having access to Marriott lounges.

Unrelated to the e-mail, two weeks ago, as a Gold member, I checked into the Marriott in Vienna, Austria. When the counter employee handed me my room key, he said here is your key with lounge access.

I thought he made a mistake but did not say anything to him except "thank you"

I went to the lounge, and sure enough, the room key opened the lounge door that I had used many times previously as a Platinum member.

I called Marriott, not to complain, but to ask about the e-mail telling me I have lounge access and about my experience in Vienna and about my Gold status.

The employee at Marriott did not know why I received the e-mail nor why I got lounge access in Vienna as a Gold member. She did confirm that my status is Gold.

Has anyone here had a similar experience - being demoted to Gold but still having lounge access at Marriott and getting a similar e-mail?.

Here is a copy of the e-mail that I received which has links where you can click and it will show the various Marriott lounges throughout the world:

Because you work hard.

Inbox
x
Promotions
x

Marriott <[email protected]> Unsubscribe

Oct 8, 2019, 11:41 PM (2 days ago)

to me

Web view

FIND A HOTEL
EXPLORE & PLAN
MARRIOTT BONVOY

[img]chrome-extension://opadloaiiilnjibkfkopaokgfkhggjgb/ptlite-icon_32.png

Marriott Hotels
Innovations
Inspiration
Resorts
Shop Marriott

Terms Of Use :: Privacy Policy

If you unsubscribe from Marriott promotional email, we will continue to send only transactional messages such as reservation confirmation emails.

You can also unsubscribe by writing to:
Marriott Bonvoy
910 West Legacy Center Way, Suite 100, Midvale, UT 84047 USA

©2019 Marriott International, Inc.

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Oct 10, 2019 at 4:24 pm Reason: added a few extra words for clarity
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
That looks like it is just a promotional email advertising "upgraded" rooms with M Club access. Nothing linked to status.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I just wish that Starwood had had an "S Club". Then, after the merger they could have called it The S &.......well, you get the picture.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by clublounger
Then, after the merger they could have called it The S & ...... well, you get the picture.
That joke was so bad it hurt!

... now tell it again
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Yes the email just looks like a normal promotional one encouraging you to book club rooms. I think your upgrade to a club room was just coincidental. Just because as a gold you are not entitled to automatic lounge access it does not mean that the hotel can not choose to upgrade you.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lobster

Just because as a gold you are not entitled to automatic lounge access it does not mean that the hotel can not choose to upgrade you.
Good point - makes sense - I had stayed at that particular Marriott many times in the past. Maybe that is why I got the lounge included.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
That joke was so bad it hurt!

... now tell it again
I wonder if anyone uses "Bonvoy!" as their safeword...
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Zorak
I wonder if anyone uses "Bonvoy!" as their safeword...
It just makes the punishment worse.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by clublounger
I just wish that Starwood had had an "S Club". Then, after the merger they could have called it The S &.......well, you get the picture.
i'll admit it. I laughed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.