Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum Arrival Gift (Post Merger) General Discussion Thread

Old Oct 2, 18, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat

I just checked in at D Cube Sheraton and noticed the benefit is 1000 points, SPG was 500, for a while though this is good, I just got to 75 nights, then realized 500 SPG = 1500 Marriott points.

Cheap ?
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Marriott Platinum bonus was 500 points (1/3 of the SPG), so 1000 points is splitting the difference. Cheap if looking from SPG perspective, doubling if looking from MR perspective.
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on if you are from SPG or MR side. This is pretty old news anyway.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Depending on if you are from SPG or MR side. This is pretty old news anyway.
IIRC correctly there's either another thread on this or if's been discussed a lot on another thread. Not sure which, but definitely know I've read about the half full/half empty thing before.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
IIRC correctly there's either another thread on this or if's been discussed a lot on another thread. Not sure which, but definitely know I've read about the half full/half empty thing before.
All of the above. (all of what you said)
Old Oct 2, 18, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Midway between the two legacy, and announced long. long ago.
Old Oct 5, 18, 6:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, AB G, LA Plat, AY Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Expl, BestW Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, ClubC Gold
In case if anyone wonders, just spoke to Marriott support. If you check in via mobile app then you are automatically awarded the points. Even if the frond desk does not ask you for the choice, you are not eligible for the guarantee because you opted for mobile check in,,,,
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 5, 18, 8:52 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by A3Fan View Post
In case if anyone wonders, just spoke to Marriott support. If you check in via mobile app then you are automatically awarded the points. Even if the frond desk does not ask you for the choice, you are not eligible for the guarantee because you opted for mobile check in,,,,
This matches what I was told by Customer Care and several properties back when Marriott first rolled out Mobile Check-In. A rising number of properties (mostly select service) also seem to be automatically issuing the points regardless of whether you use the Mobile Check-In or not and then claiming that the property does this by default when questioned regarding the guarantee. As long as the points post, I generally don't have a problem with this but it can make it difficult to ascertain whether the property actually gave you the PAG until the stay posts (at which time it is too late to claim the guarantee).
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
And Four Points welcome was 250 Starpoints, now 250 Marriott points. So the cut is even deeper than at Sheraton.
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And the points earnings are greater overall since the elite bonuses are greater. There's a discussion in another thread that so long as the room rate is over $105 per night, you'll earn more under the new system coming from the SPG side -- at least in full service properties. Additionally, MR is historically more generous in qualifying spend and the program follows the MR approach rather than the cheaper SPG approach.
Old Oct 10, 18, 6:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
And the points earnings are greater overall since the elite bonuses are greater. There's a discussion in another thread that so long as the room rate is over $105 per night, you'll earn more under the new system coming from the SPG side -- at least in full service properties. Additionally, MR is historically more generous in qualifying spend and the program follows the MR approach rather than the cheaper SPG approach.
Interesting, I have not seen that other thread - thank you. Is it also correct that you earn more above $105 when considering the decrease of Make a Green Choice?
Old Oct 10, 18, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Interesting, I have not seen that other thread - thank you. Is it also correct that you earn more above $105 when considering the decrease of Make a Green Choice?
There is a poster in another thread who is very upset about the MAGC change. I provided a calculation using $200 a night comparing the points earnings under the old program if one elected the points rather than breakfast and MAGC with the same options now. At $200 a night, the new program is clearly better. He came back and said he often stays in the $50-100 a night range (not sure where that is) and so he can lose as much as 200-400 points a stay and that the break point is $105 a night. I didn't independently check that calculation.

Of course ... I don't think many of us average stays under $105 a night. I travel responsibly on other people's money and less responsibly on my own. While I had a $92 night Sheraton and a $90 CY recently, I'm rarely under $105 a night. Plus when I factor in bar spend by the pool on the occasional weekend ...
Old Oct 10, 18, 8:21 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
There is a poster in another thread who is very upset about the MAGC change. I provided a calculation using $200 a night comparing the points earnings under the old program if one elected the points rather than breakfast and MAGC with the same options now. At $200 a night, the new program is clearly better. He came back and said he often stays in the $50-100 a night range (not sure where that is) and so he can lose as much as 200-400 points a stay and that the break point is $105 a night. I didn't independently check that calculation.

Of course ... I don't think many of us average stays under $105 a night. I travel responsibly on other people's money and less responsibly on my own. While I had a $92 night Sheraton and a $90 CY recently, I'm rarely under $105 a night. Plus when I factor in bar spend by the pool on the occasional weekend ...
The poster is here and is still upset
I can share with you the sweet spot in this price range, just a question of flexibility in geography and time.

And I repeat here (and "your" CEO agreed last week) : it's a big cut for SPG elites. Period.
Points are something but it's just part of the cut. Already discussed.

PS : the good SPG ambassadors are leaving the boat... Tired of the new way Marriott manage the things. 2 ambassador assigned since august, and 2 one leaving the company.

Last edited by bdschobel; Oct 10, 18 at 9:42 am Reason: removed characterization of another poster
Old Oct 10, 18, 8:23 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
I have stayed in the last two week 2 times in Marriott properties (Marriot and renaissance) and here my feedback :

- Stays and points still not posted... Marriot IT
- Mess with the reservation... Marriott IT
- Attention to detail is still missing.

BUT

- Very good ambassador status recognition (same as it used to be with SPG).
- Very good upgrade (better than what it used to be in those specific properties for Platinum).
- Very personalised service (all staff knows ambassador guest by name).
Old Oct 10, 18, 8:29 am

To give you some details about the "where you can get such rates and when ":
- Middle East during Ramadan and summer.
- Asia (especially Malaysia / Indonesia) off season.
- Some countries in ex- CIS (Russia / Armenia / Azerbaijan / Belarus).
- Poland during Week end in winter.
- Turkey off season (some very good prices in Istanbul and in some other cities).
- India off season.
- Spain (off season and not everywhere).

I talk here about Sheraton, Le Meridien, Westin for example. Some Elements and Aloft are nice too.

In Middle East they are some exemple of even better properties at very good price if you travel summer or ramadan (st regis Abu Dhabi : 100USD, Sheraton Muscat : 80USD, Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi : 50usd, Some sweet spot in dubai too, but more complicated).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: