Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Anyone notice Marriott is no longer honoring the 48hr guarantee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL LOL, Mosaic, UAL Silver, MR Titanium

Over the past 8mos or so, I've run into a number of instances where Marriott outright refuses to honor their 48-hr availability guarantee. Have these all been "isolated incidents," or has this been happening to everyone?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
All the guarantee means is that you have the privilege of paying full rack rate for a room. Also note that it excludes "Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, participating Vistana properties, and Design Hotels", and "Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events)".

Quotes taken from https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

My hunch is that they're hiding behind the "special events" clause, and will steadfastly claim that Fridays are very special as they have never happened twice in the same week.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Yes
I had to use the RACK room guarantee option under SPG several times and I never got pushback from any property. It was a very clear policy.

I have tried to use it several times under Marriott and you’re right.. the T&Cs are so vaguely worded in Marriotts favor that any property can privately claim special event status and block you from exercising your benefit.

Even as a AE guest, it happens.
EuropeanPete and supatight80 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:41 am

Has happened to me a lot in large cities where things were sold out but there was no clear large event happening. Under SPG it seemed like it was never a problem even with large events and conventions in town.
supatight80 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Another problem I have noticed is that properties are hiding behind minimum stay requirements. They will be bookable to the general public for a Mon-Wed stay, but if I try to use the 48-hour guarantee to book a room for just Tuesday, they claim to be sold out.

I haven’t pored over the T&Cs to see if this violates, but at a very minimum it seems to be against the spirit of the “guarantee”.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm really surprise that any property wouldn't want to get double to triple the revenue for a rack rate booking.
BeanTownBoy, KRSW and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All the guarantee means is that you have the privilege of paying full rack rate for a room.
AND a room in a property that is otherwise sold out. Do you like sleeping on park benches?

As to the OP's question - I have used the guarantee several times. And not always had to pay the rack rate to do so, ie if I wanted 3 nights at a property and the middle night was sold out, I have been able to get that middle night at the average cost of night #1 & #3 - but this is an extra perk, dont assume you will get it.

I have also notice that sometimes a property will try to squirm out of honoring the guarantee. This isnt a recent marriott thing, it happened under SPG too.

Oh and last thing - just because a property is a resort of timeshare, dont assume they automatically WONT let you do an override booking. they might not - or then again, they might.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Are you logged in? If not, it will show sold out.

Otherwise, Marriott was historically very good at keep special events to major football games, world level conventions, etc. The hotel had to get approval from corporate for a "special event."
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm logged in when I've been checking. I've also been expecting to pay full rack rate because, well, that's simply the price one pays to get a room in a full hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

I tried to book a hotel that is sold out for next month using the 48 hour guarantee. The Marriott agent steadfastly told me I could not book the hotel until 48 hours in advance. I had him speak to his supervisor who assured him that his interpretation was accurate. Fortunately, subsequently, the hotel became available and I now have it booked with points.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Otherwise, Marriott was historically very good at keep special events to major football games, world level conventions, etc.
They were good at many things “historically”. Not any more. This is apparently just the latest addition to the list.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:41 pm

@CPTnlnc: Have you tried reaching out to the Lurker on this? I'm curious to see corporate's response.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KRSW
@Cptnlnc: Have you tried reaching out to the Lurker on this? I'm curious to see corporate's response.
I have not. Today's apparent non-compliance was pretty last minute and the 48hr threshold was crossed about 30 minutes ago so I'm sure the response will simply be that it's too late for them to do anything about it now. I will simply take this as an opportunity to stay with another brand this weekend with an eye towards changing alliances next year.
KRSW likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This benefit has never worked for me. As a random example, if I look at Courtyard Tokyo Station for a one night booking on Nov 22, it shows sold out. Isn't the whole point that, aside from special events, I should never see those words? Am I supposed to call in?

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I tried to book a hotel that is sold out for next month using the 48 hour guarantee. The Marriott agent steadfastly told me I could not book the hotel until 48 hours in advance. I had him speak to his supervisor who assured him that his interpretation was accurate. Fortunately, subsequently, the hotel became available and I now have it booked with points.
Then when you call at exactly 48hrs they will say you missed the cutoff. Marriott phone staff are ridiculous.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Oct 9, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.