Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Anyone notice Marriott is no longer honoring the 48hr guarantee?

Anyone notice Marriott is no longer honoring the 48hr guarantee?

Old Oct 9, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have noticed the 48 Hour guarantee hasn't been working correctly for at least a few years. It used to work fine (back in the day when it was a platinum override) and I very rarely ran into properties that didn't honor it. Furthermore there seemed to be very few exceptions granted to the properties to be exempt from the override. Fast forward to today, it is rare when it works. I gave up trying to figure out why. Just another devaluation of benefits.

--Jon
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Oct 11, 19 at 5:48 am
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I only used the benefit once with SPG to book a Westin which was sold out. I booked it through the Plat desk and was quoted ~$600/night. (I needed to check with my friend, who said NO WAY.) I was planning on cancelling the reservation but got busy. About a week after I made the reservation, one of the managers from the hotel contacted me and said they were really sold out and wouldn't be able to honor the reservation. He offered me 6000 SPG pts to let him cancel it. I said sure (without trying to sound too giddy)!
DJ_Iceman and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, Mosaic, UAL Silver, MR Titanium
Checked again tonight and it looks like there is suddenly an abundance of rooms available at the cash rate. In fact, there are three different room types and only one of those three even has an "almost sold out" warning.

Naturally, Marriott's "No Blackouts" fraud is still in full effect, so none of the abundant rooms are available on points.

To further drive the point home, the corporate phone rep all but hung up on me when I mentioned the No Blackouts policy.

I guess I'll be shopping around for next year's 91 nights.
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stant View Post
AND a room in a property that is otherwise sold out. Do you like sleeping on park benches?
I just don't fixate on one property or chain. There are always other options, including not taking the trip.
Old Oct 11, 19, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CptnInc View Post
Checked again tonight and it looks like there is suddenly an abundance of rooms available at the cash rate. In fact, there are three different room types and only one of those three even has an "almost sold out" warning.

Naturally, Marriott's "No Blackouts" fraud is still in full effect, so none of the abundant rooms are available on points.

To further drive the point home, the corporate phone rep all but hung up on me when I mentioned the No Blackouts policy.

I guess I'll be shopping around for next year's 91 nights.
As posted in other threads, the revised No Blackouts policy unfortunately does not mean if a room is available for cash, its available for points.

I thought you said you were expecting to pay the rack rate?
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I thought you said you were expecting to pay the rack rate?
I was expecting to pay rack rate if I had to book a room in a fully booked hotel. Now that the hotel has 25% vacancy, I expect the No Blackout policy on points to apply.
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:49 am

I was expecting to pay rack rate if I had to book a room in a fully booked hotel. Now that the hotel has 25% vacancy, I expect the No Blackout policy on points to apply.
Unfortunately, you may want to re-read the updated T&C's.
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Looks like I can book a room with points this morning. I guess the "special event" must have been quite special as it seems to have secretly been rescheduled.
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:01 am

Looks like I can book a room with points this morning. I guess the "special event" must have been quite special as it seems to have secretly been rescheduled.
What is the date and location (don't even care about the hotel)?
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, you may want to re-read the updated T&C's.
I've read them. I especially like that the No Blackout Dates fraud is actually governed by 1.7.c, which includes:
The Company and Partner Programs may, among other things: (i) increase or decrease the number of Points or Miles received for a stay or required for an Award; (ii) withdraw, limit, modify or cancel any Award; (iii) add blackout dates, limit rooms available for any Award at any Participating Property or otherwise restrict the continued availability of Awards;
So, other than the blackout dates, there are no blackout dates. It's so heart warming to see a corporation put its neck out like that to build a real connection with its customers.
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:04 am
Original Poster

What is the date and location (don't even care about the hotel)?
Portland, ME tonight
Old Nov 13, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
I just used the 48 hour guarantee for the first time ever. I wanted a specific hotel in DC that was showing sold out for my first two nights (of a 4 or 5 night trip). The Renaissance nearby was available so I booked that just in case. But I called the Titanium elite line and the lady processed my request with no questions other than check-in date and number of nights. The rate is probably the rack rate but almost exactly matches what the Renaissance is getting.

-RM
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold
I just tried using it for the first time in ages and was told it wasn't possible to use it for an early week November stay at a random hotel in Vancouver. Not terribly helpful.
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH View Post
Another problem I have noticed is that properties are hiding behind minimum stay requirements. They will be bookable to the general public for a Mon-Wed stay, but if I try to use the 48-hour guarantee to book a room for just Tuesday, they claim to be sold out.
Is/was the room available to the general public for just Tuesday? That's what's relevant.

Now that the hotel has 25% vacancy, I expect the No Blackout policy on points to apply.
You may have looked up the definition, but you may not understand it. No Blackout does not mean the old SPG "if there's a standard room available for sale, there's a room available for points". It simply means that at some point rooms are available at that property on that date for points. If the rooms that were made available for points were all redeemed for points, there are no more. A previously-sold-out property having rooms come available does not imply that rooms for points must be available. And that does not mean the "No Blackout policy on points" doesn't apply.
Old Nov 13, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA PlatPro, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Is/was the room available to the general public for just Tuesday? That's what's relevant.
It wasnt available to the public, but I dont see how that is relevant. If it was available to book to the public, why would I need the Platinum 48-hour guarantee at all?
EuropeanPete and Twickenham like this.

Search this Thread